8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo Dualux 1000 Image Vignetting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sankyo Dualux 1000 Image Vignetting
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 16, 2011 12:10 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sankyo Dualux 1000 is mechanically my most reliable projector. I do a lot of telecine transfers and I would like to use this projector more (it currently is my only working 8mm projector) but the projected image has gradient vignetting around the edges and sometimes appears out of focus compared to the center of the image. Is this a lens problem?..a gate problem?..or a lamp problem? The Sankyo 1000 only has a 50W bulb so the image isn't that bright to begin with...but add the vignetting and the focus problems ... it doesn't work well for transfers.

Any suggestions... or is this typical for this projector? I've thought about getting a Sankyo 2000H, but wondering if it might have the same issues?

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice: I don't know what is causing your problem, but if you have kept the gate clean/clear and the lens looks alright, I would suspect the lamp. The 1000 uses an incandescent lamp but the 1000H and 2000H use halogen lamps that are much brighter and cooler. The Sankyo projector is a good choice for what you are doing. BTW, did this problem just appear or has it always been this way?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 17, 2011 11:56 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's always been like this Barry. I have replaced the lamp once...but of course ordered the same type. It's that strange tall lamp. The gate is clean and the lens looks ok. Is there a halogen lamp replacement bulb available?

--------------------
Janice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, you've got the "Spaceman" lamp. There is not a halogen replacement. You would need a retrofit kit and I don't think any are available. I'm a little puzzled by your problem. I have never had or used a 1000, but Sankyo makes a great projector and that sort of issue is not typical of their products. Is there some sort of mechanism to move the lamp backward or forward? An adjustment screw or lever?

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2011 04:48 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice

I have seen this problem on many Sankyos including the 1000, 1000H and 2000H. It is caused by discoloration of the hardened 2 piece glass heat shield located just before the aperture. This glass shield is there to protect film from burning should the projector stop. It is in a metal frame and held in place with screws.

The cure is to replace the discolored glass shield with a new one or simply remove it altogether. The difference to the quality of the light beam is immediate and dramatic. The picture becomes clear and focused with even light and no more vignetting.

So check out the condition of the small glass shield and let us know how you go.

dogtor [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 17, 2011 05:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds encouraging Frank....now I just have to locate what you are referring to :-)

From the picture below can you help me zero in on the aperture... and what I have to remove to get to it. If it can easily be removed without effecting anything...I'm sure I can do it.

-

--------------------
Janice

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2011 09:18 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice
That picture wont help. You need to remove the lamp from the projector and then look forward through the small square hole in a tin cover and you should see the heat shield glass. Remove the tin cover to reveal the frame and you can then get access to the glass.
see how you go.

dogtor
[Razz]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 18, 2011 12:12 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Frank...at least now I know where to start :-) Photo 1 I removed the light which revealed the tin cover plate and the glass insert behind it. Photo 2 This shows the glass insert after tin cover removed.

-

-

What next Dogtor :-)

--------------------
Janice

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2011 12:55 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next Janice,
remove the 2 philips screws and the plate will come out with the framed glass attatched. Then pop the frame and glass off the plate using a small screwdriver. Refit the inner small plate which is now without the glass in it, then the outer tin plate cover and then finally the lamp. Test out the quality of the projected lamp beam and adjust the aiming of the lamp if needed.
Make sure the Projection Lens glass is perfectly clean on the important inner small end. Wipe it with a lens cleaner cloth and make sure its crystal clear to look through both ends to the light.
That should then result in a good bright beam of light from your Sankyo and hopefully a good projected picture.

we will await your report for the results.

dogtor [Razz]

[ November 18, 2011, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 18, 2011 12:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a miracle :-)...Thank you!..Thank you!...Thank you! I managed to remove the glass without any major mishaps and the projected image is greatly improved.

I noticed Frank that the glass I removed was in 2 pieces. Is that the way it was intended or was mine broken? I think you can see it in the previous photos I posted.

It's a little hard to see in this snapshot but the image is much brighter and cleaner now. Focus seems to be consistent across the frame.

-

Here's also a shot of my current telecine setup.

-

Thanks again for all you help.

--------------------
Janice

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2011 05:05 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice
Glad to hear that the operation was a success. You must have followed the instructions to the letter so "well done" to you. What a difference its made to your picture, like chalk and cheese. A great result and I am most impressed with your transfer setup.

The Sankyo 1000 is capable of projecting excellently if everything is spot on and now it is.

The 2 glass pieces are normal. It is done to allow for expansion of the glass when its hot and prevents cracking.

regards
dogtor frankarnstein
projector heaven [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------

____
//``\\

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2011 11:37 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked in and read the thread. Great to know Frank. Janice, what is the brand of the 45 degree telecine screen you are using? Looks kinda like it says FILM on it.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 20, 2011 11:45 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, just do a search for "Telecine" on EBay. Here's a current link to one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-TRANSFER-Telecine-D-I-Y-8mm-Super8-Movies-Slides-Film-Digital-DVD-/250934798090?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item

--------------------
Janice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2011 03:50 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice!

Michael McGill
Junior

- posted November 20, 2011 04:36 PM      Profile for Michael McGill   Email Michael McGill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi;
I too have a Sankyo dualux 1000 with a poor focus problem. How do you get at the inner end of the lense to clean it. I have removed the little glass window, (heat shield) to find it is a little fuzzy also.
I have ordered a new drive belt after going through my supply of rubber bands but it has not arrived yet..
I would appreciate a bit of help with this projector.
Thanks,
Michael McGill
Seagrave, Ontario, Canada

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 20, 2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, you might want to start a new topic on your specific projector problems. However, to remove the lens just pull out on the focus knob and slide the lens out. You can then clean both ends.

--------------------
Janice

Michael McGill
Junior

- posted November 20, 2011 07:20 PM      Profile for Michael McGill   Email Michael McGill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, how embarassingly simple was that............
I guess that's what happens when you don't have an instruction manual.

I have ordered a telecine transfer system from e-bay. I was very impressed with your transfer setup.
I may be back to you for some tips once I get mine set up.

Many thanks,
M.

Cory Temple
Junior

- posted September 20, 2013 09:24 PM      Profile for Cory Temple   Email Cory Temple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Folks,
I'm new to this forum and hobby/transfer business I've set-up. I tried the above glass removal on my Sankyo 2000H and now I have no picture at all, just a very dim blur?! Not sure what is wrong but the lamp is still bright as ever but a dim blur on my films and ones that I had used before I did this, I'm definitely missing something!? Any help would be appreciated.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 20, 2013 10:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cory

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Did you put the lens back together correctly?

PatD

Cory Temple
Junior

- posted September 21, 2013 09:39 AM      Profile for Cory Temple   Email Cory Temple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one way to put it on so I don't believe it's that

Cory Temple
Junior

- posted September 21, 2013 07:16 PM      Profile for Cory Temple   Email Cory Temple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it! The lens wasn't seated in the focus slot so when I was thinking I was focusing I really wasn't! DUH!!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 21, 2013 08:31 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got it working Cory.

--------------------
Janice

Brad Parmeter
Junior

- posted December 19, 2013 03:19 PM      Profile for Brad Parmeter   Email Brad Parmeter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but I wanted to say thanks!! I registered just to do it! I'm finally getting around to converting my old 8mm films to digital. This brightened up my image big time! I actually just removed the small glass piece and replaced the metal bracket. One note maybe not mentioned is that any hiccup in feed mechanism or if you press the still button will now melt the film. Had one reel stall at a splice and the film started to melt immediately. No unattended transfers! lol

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 19, 2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad for adding to this thread. Yes...by removing the glass there is the potential to burn the film...that's why the glass was put there in the first place. It hasn't been an issue for me...since I never use the still feature. However...it's good that you point this out as a heads-up alert [Smile]

Welcome to the Forum!

--------------------
Janice

Phil Mitchell
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2014 11:02 PM      Profile for Phil Mitchell   Email Phil Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just came across this topic, my Sankyo 600 has exactlty except maybe smaller version of that glass and the 600 as far as I can see from Manual doesn't have any still capture option.

it is casuing a well two black bars to come down screen, I had not noticed it before now til I tried a 75W bulb to see if I could lessin the strobing effect I am getting during capture.

Posted about this in another thread and one chap there said he thought it was a heat sink thing, although bulbs may not be right type either, although who knows about that, anyway if My projector has not way to do still images, is there any risk to my film if I take my glass out as well? I can test it can't I with film I am not interested in keeping. Have a few reels of film I don't plan to capture.

Cheers
Phil

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC