8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo Dualux 1000 Image Vignetting (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sankyo Dualux 1000 Image Vignetting
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may burn the film if you have a variable speed control and you run the projector very, very slowly. Otherwise, no problem.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 02:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo 600 only has the two speeds of 24fps and 18fps.

--------------------
Maurice

Jenny Gilchrist
Junior

- posted July 16, 2015 07:42 PM      Profile for Jenny Gilchrist   Email Jenny Gilchrist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about the heat shield glass - the Sankyo 1000H I have (bought from Frank - it's a gorgeous projector) has had the heat shield glass removed. It was probably dirty or broken.
However, I have melted a few spots in my film which is really awful, this is due to my father having spliced them together and occasionally a splice jams, not often, but sometimes. I also can't use the still feature at all or I'm worried it will melt.
Can you get replacement heat glass? I've looked but can't see it.

I also have a question about the telecine setup Janice has as pictured earlier in this thread. (I have the same telecine reflectors, and the same projector.) However, though I won't go into detail here, I get a ghosting image when I project through the telecine. This ghosting is only on one side of the figure or item, not a halo all the way around. The projection goes onto the glass and out through the 'screen', it's the screen that has the ghosting (almost a double) image. Easier to see on brighter figures like a white t shirt or skin against dark background, and always a ghosting to the right of the figure. Any ideas? First I thought it was 'line up' of the mirror/screen or projector, but definitely not, no matter where I move it (and it's supposed to be perfectly aligned on the marked 'mat') the ghosting is still there.

--------------------
Jenny

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 17, 2015 12:12 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny...in regards to replacing the heat shield glass you might want to contact Frank to see if he has one in his spare parts. Otherwise you might just want to cut a piece of glass to fit.

I suggest you open a new topic to get replies to your telecine question.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2015 11:01 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny - I bought the same box and had the same result. According to the instruction manual, "A ghost-like image may sometimes occur. The ghost-like image may be reduced by making frequency adjustments to your camera..." Frequency adjustments?

What the manual says is nonsense. The ghosting is caused by the manufacturer installing the incorrect mirror. Instead of using a proper first-surface mirror, which reflects the image only from the front, this unit has a conventional mirror. The image passes through the glass, and is reflected by the coating on the back surface. With the mirror at a 45 degree angle, this means that not only is the image reflected by the back surface, but there is also a faint image reflected by the front surface. This is your ghost.

It surprises me that the manufacturer of an optical device does not know this basic fact. But what is really annoying is that they try to bamboozle with b.s. and blame the operator's other equipment.

If you do a google search for first-surface or front-surface mirror, you'll find more articulate explanations of how they work and why they're used.

Narendra Singh
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2015 04:14 AM      Profile for Narendra Singh   Email Narendra Singh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot to learn in this thread. Thanks to Janice and all. Also to Ty Reynolds for his informative post on the formation of 'Ghost Image'.

[ November 19, 2015, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Narendra Singh ]

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add there was once a halogen replacement for this 8v 50w A1/17 (CRX). It was the A1/263 a small non diathermic reflector and halogen on the same lamp base, made by Thorn lighting in the UK and patented. I expect no-one else wanted to pay them to make copies so it died out.

I have one so will try to get a picture up.

Steve Flora
Junior

- posted May 14, 2016 02:50 AM      Profile for Steve Flora   Email Steve Flora   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, et al., just found this thread .... and very helpful it is indeed! (After replacing the belt, getting the LED light workaround .... then I happened to have hair, dust, etc. problems). At least using that LED headlamp solution (mentioned on the 1000 dualux lamp replacement thread) removing the protective glass parts mentioned here does not endanger the film at all.
Regards, Steve.
Thanks yet again. Steve.

Steve Hartwell
Junior

- posted December 30, 2016 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Hartwell   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Hartwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just followed the instructions to remove the heatsink - so simple - THANKS a bunch

--------------------
steve
www.homemovies.ca

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC