8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Do you have a Moviestuff Workprinter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you have a Moviestuff Workprinter?
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2012 09:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Moviestuff Workprinter XP this week and am going through the growing pains of setup. I've done some initial capture tests which for the most part are encouraging.

Here is a sample video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_rRnltSBwY&list=UUzhVuBJou11ziWdERi0ZGuQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I'm not using Cinecap...but rather Scenalyzer to do the stopmotion captures. I am having an intermittent sync problem with the frame pulldown/waterfall effect being recorded in the capture software. Any suggestions?

-

Do you have a Workprinter? Do you have any useful tips you could share?...i.e., any setup tricks you have found either in capturing or in post editing? Are you capturing in SD or HD?

It would be nice to share information.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 04, 2012 10:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wooow, expensive stuff.

Are you going to do a transfer business or just for your hobby?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2012 11:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the system stands right now Wilbert, it didn't cost me that much. It's an older Workprinter with the incandescent light...I bought it from a friend that I knew from a previous video forum I belonged to. I also bought an inexpensive older model PC off eBay as a dedicated computer. Other than that I had the camcorder and monitors already. Of course with this setup I can only do SD. If I were to upgrade the Workprinter and buy the hardware and software peripherals for HD capturing...that would probably run about $1000. This is primarily a hobby (family & friends)...but I might take on a few transfer jobs to pay for the thing [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 12:44 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should invest the small amount in the cinecap software

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 05, 2012 03:16 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear what you are saying Dino...I don't have a problem paying for Cinecap...but as far as I know it only runs with XP...right? The computer I just bought came with Vista...and I really don't want to install XP. If I decide to upgrade I will probably buy a Velocity Box w/ software which does run on Vista. Scenalyzer actually works very well. I made some adjustments with the cam to stop the sync problem I was having.

--------------------
Janice

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice you are now one of my forum heroes. Holy Cow! What a ensemble of equipment! You sure your last name's not Spielberg or Marshall?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 05, 2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the sound of a "velocity box" Janice,but has anybody actually caught one ?

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 04:25 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like the sound of a "velocity box" Janice,but has anybody actually caught one ?
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 15, 2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino...I found out that Cinecap will run under Vista 64...so I talked with Roger Evans today and was able to purchase it. I'll give it a try and see what advantages it has over Scenalyzer. Scenalyzer doesn't support HD and Cinecap does if you have a Black Magic Intensity card. However, I'm staying with SD for now [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2012 04:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I came late to this thread Janice but I only just looked at your YouTube post. It looks okay but it's out of alignment on the left hand side. I expect you've got to grips with all that by now but if not be prepared to go through a lot of frustration to get the thing set up so it's all in focus top to bottom and left to right. And just when you think you've got it right then dust will get in the gate, you'll deal with that and then it will go out of whack somewhere again!

My own set up has everything much closer together so that is probably why I now find it all quite easy to align. Possibly worth seeing if you can focus it all in with a maximum distance of about 24 inches between camera and projector. If nothing else it takes up less space then.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 16, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John...thanks so much for jumping in on this thread. You are right about the uneven focus...I'm still struggling. I'm also getting vignetting... uneven lighting on the sides.

I've been using some cryptic instructions written probably about 9 years ago by Roger that the guy who sold me the unit emailed me. It's just not clear to me what I should be looking for when moving the tripod back. I've ordered a Macro Focusing Slider http://www.ebay.com/itm/170650060787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1439.l2649#ht_3326wt_951 to help in the final adjustments...making small side-to-side adjustments with the tripod is very frustrating.

I'm going to try your suggestion and bring the camera closer. You seem to have your setup under control...could I ask you to write down the steps you are doing and describe what you are seeing when aligning and focusing in on the gate? A picture of your setup would be nice too [Smile]

Does your Workprinter have the newer LED light/DC motor? What camera are you using?

--------------------
Janice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2012 04:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I focus on a mid-air image and from all the evidence I have seen thus far this produces better results. I use a 20 watt halogen lamp running of its own power supply with a small sheet of white plastic between the lamp and the gate. The projector runs at 16.66fps with the image focused a few inches beyond the right-angle mirror. This is then filmed by a Panasonic NV-GS260 which is has the two vital ingredients of 3CCD chips so the colour is true (no other type of camera is suitable for this work) and a manual focus ring.

I don't advertise doing cine transfers because I don't have the time but you can seer how cine transfers should look within http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE9QjhrZ-2Q - all the archive film sections are standard 8mm and Single 8 transfers completed on my desk here. The preview can be run in HD but the transfers were all done standard definition so there is probably room for a little improvement yet.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 18, 2012 07:25 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I can see why you can bring your camcorder within 24 inches. Your Panasonic has only a 10x's zoom... My camcorder is a Canon XH-A1 with a 20x's zoom. I actually have to move back to 30-32 inches to hit the sweet spot. I'm going to try my Canon HV-40. It has 10's zoom. I'm curious how it will do.

I'm also having issues with hot spots. I've been using the built-in ND filters on my camcorder to compensate...but I'm thinking the 40 watt bulb may be a bit too bright. I can see if I can find a lower wattage bulb or I could try and diffuse it like you are doing with your LED light. I like the LED light modification you have done. Was your Workprinter originally setup with the incandescent light like mine? Is it complicated to add the LED light?

--------------------
Janice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2012 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a halogen lamp Janice but it's a staight swap for an LED lamp in the same halogen type casing. It won't have any obvious benefits though. Yes, I expect 40w is too high so just stick a 20w in it and that should help. But as you're filming straight in the gate your setup is different. I have yet to see anyone who can obtain such good results from this method than aerial image although once you get to the professional telecine machines that cost tens of thousands then they are clearly better when transferred properly. The BBC have one of these but even then sometimes the transfers are poor. They always widescreen everything now too so that doesn't help.

Does your Canon camera have 3CCD's? If not, that is what you are going to need.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 19, 2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John... are you using a Workprinter XP? If you are, it sounds like you have made several major modifications...with the light source and the positioning of the condenser lens. I didn't realize there was any other options. I'm using it as originally designed with the condenser lens as shown in my photo. You are correct in that this setup is basically just enlarging the gate. If you have the condenser positioned differently...then of course we are talking apples and oranges here. It's not clear to me how you have positioned your condenser for an "arial" image. It looks like our systems are way too different to compare. [Frown]

The Canon XH-A1 is a professional HDV / Mini-DV camcorder... definitely 3CCD [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2012 04:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using the lens and mirror system from a multiplexer. As this was manufactured for television companies it probably has superior optics.

It is possible that your condenser lens will not allow you to film in mid-air which is a shame as this seems to give better results. But it is worth a try so perhaps have a go at focusing an aerial image about six inches behind the condenser lens and then focus the camera on it - use a piece of white card to focus the projected image in a suitable place and then see if the video camera will pick it up. Your professional Canon should produce outstanding results if this works.

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 02, 2012 01:34 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my Workprinter XP back from MovieStuff. I sent it to them for an upgrade. They replaced the old bulb with a LED lamp...a new motor... and new external switches. It now runs at a constant 8fps, no drifting, and the lamp runs much cooler, which keeps the belts from cracking. It may not look new outside...but inside has extensive changes.

I ran some test transfers and they were beautiful...images clear and sharp. I'm still transferring in SD, but plan to upgrade to HD ...just need a few more components.

--------------------
Janice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 02, 2012 07:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, could you send us a sample with this workprinter. I am always curios to see the result.

But if you could kindly do more favor please use pre-packed movie instead of Home movies. Not because I don't want to see your shooting project but home movies sometimes have several variables creating different results. While pre-packed film has standarized camera setting.

[ September 02, 2012, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2012 07:55 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice... how cool! I recently sold a trailer to a guy in the Nashville area that is buying/collecting film to assist him in his write/sell endeavours of software for film transfer. I'll try to find out what he has.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 02, 2012 09:40 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your so awesome Jan! [Wink]

Mack McLaughlin
Junior

- posted September 10, 2012 09:27 AM      Profile for Mack McLaughlin   Author's Homepage   Email Mack McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi....It's my first post here and it is encouraging to see the results with the Workprinter. I ordered an HD version and it should be here sometime this week.

Now...I just have to find an HD camera and build the PC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 10, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Gawd Janice! I'll have to get this if I'm lucky enough to find that great copy of "Grizzly Adams", as it would certainly justify the cost of getting this over paying the cost of sending it out to get a telecine job done. Wonderful work and thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC