8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Xenon bulb instructions/procedure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Xenon bulb instructions/procedure
Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2015 05:34 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone with the GS1200 Xenon could provide me with the procedure for aligning the lamp and also the procedure for removing it please.

I have done this many times with 35mm projectors but the Elmo l cant get my head around it with all the screws etc at the rear of the lamp housing, l dont wont to stuff this up or it could be costly.

Thanks,
Jason

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a supplement for the GS1200 for the xenon, I can send it to you if you want it, other wise, Bill Parsons may be able to advise you. I understand you need to discharge the power to the supply and clear the charge in the caps, there's 90v across that lamp to fire it up, give you nasty shock.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 26, 2015 12:55 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that the manual for the GS1200 Xenon directs you to your nearest Elmo dealer, it says "Do not replace the lamp by yourself."

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 03:02 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies gents,
Paul l would be interested in the info on the supplement for the xenon if you wanted to send an email.

Maurice, I did read that coment in the manual, l guess for a good reason though as these bulbs as we know are not to be toyed with especially by the everyday person that has had no exposure to them.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 03:49 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, email sent. If your familiar with 35mm, then this may help you. I would not recommend doing this, personally, I would ask Bill Parsons to do it, he's the expert on these, they have to be setup correctly, I imagine its very dangerous area, all them volts, and uv, not for the faint hearted.

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2015 03:51 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul,

l will try and contact Bill about the xenon

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, to aligning the xenon in accordance with the service manual you need a special tool.
Anyway that's an other simple way.
Remove the front lid, the vu meter lid and the whole pre amplifier. Don't be scared to remove the preamplifier. It's very very easy because it's kept by four screws only near the main chassis.
Now you may screw or unscrew three screws rear the lamp holder. By these three screws you may to adjust the hot spot. If you want to adjust the lamp focus on the projection gate unscrew the big screw on the lamp holder side. You have to remove the brass screw to the top too.
To make these adjustements you have to put on the front lid (that one with the sign "elmo gs1200 xenon") and to switch on the lamp.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2015 02:23 AM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon has been aligned by help of an outside contact.

Thank you lads

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2016 06:41 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also want to replace my xeon lamp in my GS-1200 P. I`ve been able to acquire a xeon lamp from here in Japan. All I need to know now is how to safely change it out.

Could someone send me the supplement or tell me what procedure should be used when installing it?

If anyone could help, I would be eternally grateful and help you acquire any 8mm film or equipment you may want from Japan.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2016 12:26 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason, I can send you the xenon supplement that is part of the GS 1200 repair manual, this explains how to do this. I am interested in the new lamp you purchased in japan, because the original Toshiba lamp has long since gone from the shelves anywhere in Europe, so I'm intrigued as to its make and price, please tell us more. A forum member has had some made in china that are better than the originals.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Sorry to get your hopes up but when I say that I acquired a lamp I meant that I got another GS-1200 Xenon that had little to no use. Since it's the optical GS-1200 Xenon I will not need to use it as often.

I think there are still quite a few new original Toshiba lamps floating around Japan but they wouldn't be easy to find.

Please send the supplement to nichehunter1(at)gmail(dot)com
Thanks!

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2016 08:41 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the GS Xenon lamps as far as I know there are/were only 3 types. Toshiba were the originals. CHC has these but at last inquiry wanted £450 each. The SQ Clones, and these were also what Wittner had, just re-labelled. Some say these can be flawed and inconsistent. Ugo Grassi's Chinese clones, Ugo still has these for sale.

If anyone knows of a fourth compatible lamp then please post details. That is the extent of my knowledge and worth repeating.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2016 10:55 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, email sent with the supplement good luck.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2016 09:36 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. I`ve tried to send you a private message but it says its blocked for you. I didn`t receive your email(I checked my spam and trash folder).

Would you mind sending it again to nichehunter1(at)gmail(dot)com
Replace the (at) with @
Replace the (dot) with .

Thanks!

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jason, for some reason the 1 was missing the email, sorry about that, resent to you.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 10:44 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone send me the instructions on changing the xenon lamp in the GS1200? Thanks! onedelorean@yahoo.com

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC