8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Gary Schreffler
Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for Gary Schreffler   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Schreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Spice; I have a few Royal Navy films in my archive. Most recent RN project was a Royal Fleet Auxiliary, the RFA Forth. One of the cool sequences is the Royal Yacht Britannia steaming past at high speed, with the three flags flying on the three masts, indicating the royal family was embarked. Also have a few RN destroyers and a carrier or two.

I also have a home movie filmed in 1951 aboard the USS Franklin D Roosevelt (CVA-42), that has great images of Princess Elizabeth and her husband, Captain Philip, touring the ship (walking on the flight deck) when she visited Gibralter. This was filmed just before she became Queen Elizabeth. So that's pretty cool.

The Wolverine scanners make preserving these films a whole new ballgame.

[ November 21, 2017, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Gary Schreffler ]

--------------------
My God; It's Full Of Stars!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Stanley
Junior

- posted November 24, 2017 02:31 AM      Profile for Mark Stanley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I am building a 16mm scanner, and notice that the Wolverine does not have upper/lower loops, sprockets or a pulldown claw. Could someone describe how the intermittent movement of the film is obtained (the start and stop)? Thanks. Mark.

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2017 09:59 AM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all!

The all new Wolverine F2D Pro X Plus 8mm filmscanner! Scanning 8 mm film will never be the same!

https://youtu.be/w7779CZKd8M

nJoy your weekend! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 24, 2017 10:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Berend, there are not enough hours left in my life to digitize a single reel of film this way! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Chris Holton
Junior

- posted November 24, 2017 11:28 PM      Profile for Chris Holton   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Holton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the F2D "titan" it does a fantastic job on the slides..
I also just got the "moviemaker pro" I haven't used it yet but I plan on trying it out sunday..

--------------------
Ride hard-Die free

Chris Holton
Junior

- posted November 26, 2017 05:10 PM      Profile for Chris Holton   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Holton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my result,,this is a learning experience..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4F3ZZoZ1U

--------------------
Ride hard-Die free

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2017 10:04 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Holton I really enjoyed your movie clip.
Thanks for sharing that.

Alan Taplow
Junior

- posted November 27, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for Alan Taplow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in May, Doug Stratton (on page 3 of this topic) outlined a method of changing fps speed by using MP4Box-GUI --- demuxing your file and then muxing the result with the option to change the fps. However, I notice that there is a pull-down box with a preset list of speeds and that 16 or 18fps are not options. The options offered go from 15 to 23.9 with nothing in-between. Anyone know how to make this program work and bypass the presets and customize it at 16 or 18 fps???

--------------------
Alan Taplow
ataplow@gmail.com

Chris Holton
Junior

- posted November 27, 2017 09:25 PM      Profile for Chris Holton   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Holton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks mike!..I'm glad you liked the old race cars, I have a few more to do..

--------------------
Ride hard-Die free

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted November 28, 2017 12:51 AM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, the answer to your question about the frame rate is on page 4 in this thread.
I will copy it here:

You can actually choose ANY frame rate you wish if you do this little change in My MP4Box: Under "View", choose "Edit Command Line". When you start Mux, you can choose Fps=15, you will see a new window with the actual command line which you can edit where you see the fps=15 you just change the numbers from 15 to 18 (or 24 or whatever), the press "Copy and Run".

Hope this helps
Kurt

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt beat me to it. You can type in any FPS you like this way, works a treat, just backspace the fps number and insert you own, without adding any extra spacing to the command line
 -

Alan Taplow
Junior

- posted November 28, 2017 09:09 AM      Profile for Alan Taplow   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so "Mux", Kurt. That makes my day a delightfully happy one. This is the first order of over 50 reels where I'm using the Wolverine instead of the Focuskye setup I traditionally use. I'm finding this better in many ways except the output seems to have a bit more graininess than I normally get --- any thoughts about reducing the grain?

--------------------
Alan Taplow
ataplow@gmail.com

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 09:14 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps post us a test clip at youtube and link here so we can see and maybe advise.

[ November 28, 2017, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kurt Froberg
Junior

- posted November 28, 2017 09:22 AM      Profile for Kurt Froberg   Email Kurt Froberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, regarding the noise/graininess, please see my post at page 7 in this thread where I also have an video clip example. I use the Neat Video plugin (in my editing software Sony Vegas) for noise reduction. It is almost a must for this bad compression.
Kurt

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Berend,
I`ve just ordered The Somicon i hope I get the 20fps software
& the updated motor. It was between the Somicon & the new Pro Wolverine, But I could`nt find anywhere they would ship to the UK, I hope I`ve chosen the right one.
I will let you know when it arrives.
James.
Update, I`ve just heared from Somicon they only ship to Germany or Austria, so if anyone has any Ideas please let me know. PS. I don`t like bank transfers.

--------------------
James Wilson

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,
Here is your answer....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Happy shopping.
Best,
Rick

Doug Stratton
Junior

- posted December 02, 2017 12:27 AM      Profile for Doug Stratton   Email Doug Stratton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the New Wolverine pro has the quality itself actually improved at all? On videohelp.com someone had mentioned that Wolverine told them the machine was now made to use the max quality possible, though this completely contradicts what they told someone here

Can anyone compare file sizes from the SD card if they own the older versions with the pro?

Gerald Pech
Junior

- posted December 02, 2017 03:47 AM      Profile for Gerald Pech   Email Gerald Pech   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm following this thread today from France.
I just wish to share a official link to the 20fps software for Somikon (Firmware-Update für 20fps (2MB)) https://www.pearl.de/support/product.jsp?pdid=NX4294
Pere Pasqual, there are great news about modifying our firmware if you can modifying this new firmware ???

Tom Tomlinson
Junior

- posted December 06, 2017 10:09 PM      Profile for Tom Tomlinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the pro model & its failing to scan--it says to check the "power". But no power problem displaying the error message...
I've triple checked my threading. Anyone have issues like this?

Wolverine Support told me to not scan the leader......??? still no good--tried 3 rolls of Super8 film.

not too encouraging so far. Any tips much appreciated.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always scan the leader.
Threading would not make a difference to power supplies.

I would suggest checking the psu is the correct rating for your power supply, ie: 120v /240v

other than that, a mulitmeter on the low voltage plug of the psu to see what voltage it is kicking out.

Ken Abruzzo
Junior

- posted December 07, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Ken Abruzzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also try a different SD card or reseating the one you have. If I remember correctly, the machine will turn off when the SD card is removed.

I've run about 30 reels through mine so far (5", 6" and 7"). Only problems I've had are with it getting stuck sometimes on a bad splice and misalignments. Not too concerned about the misalignment since I can correct it in software.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 01:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess I have nothing to say on this subject, except it's great to see that it will shortly have prompted 250 posts with many useful observations since April! A warm welcome to the forum members who have recently posted here for the first time. I don't think I would have dared predict 10 years ago that the forum would be thriving in 2017 with so many contributors and posts!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bob Russell
Junior

- posted December 10, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Bob Russell   Email Bob Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question for those with more experience than I using the Wolverine: (especially the Pro with its 1080p resolution)

If I plan to do post processing (correct color balance, etc) what would be the likely best settings on the Wolverine for Sharpness and Exposure? Or is there a single best setting for post processing corrections?

Case in point: I have one film that is underexposed (in a dark room) and the white areas (striped clothing,lighted area, etc) are digitized as yellow by the auto color balance of the Wolverine. Wolverine Data tech support has suggested for this particular problem to use lower EV (-0.5) and Sharpness to Low.

My thinking is to get all of my films digitized (50+ 3" reels plus 4 or 5 7" reels), and only then post process the ones that need help. I'm trying to avoid determining the best settings for each film by trial and error on each one.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Berend De Meyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Berend De Meyer   Email Berend De Meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian Winchester wrote:
quote:
I confess I have nothing to say on this subject, except it's great to see that it will shortly have prompted 250 posts with many useful observations since April! A warm welcome to the forum members who have recently posted here for the first time. I don't think I would have dared predict 10 years ago that the forum would be thriving in 2017 with so many contributors and posts!
Hi Adrian, thank you very much for your compliments. I must confess, this forum is a great place to contribute to, because we all post with great passion!

I have only one polite but nevertheless very urgent request - perhaps on behalve of many more - and that is to give this great forums a GUI upgrade asap, if possible of course.

Sincerely, Berend [Cool]

--------------------
Cheers | “I am an advocate of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" modus operandi!”

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 10, 2017 04:12 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Berend,

I would be thrilled for that to happen! Until then, we can only do our best to continue to make this a great place to post.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC