8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer (Page 37)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  54  55  56 

Author Topic: Review Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer
Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 07:32 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the camera resolution is set to 1600 x 1200 the complete frame is captured with some margin left around the border (holes still visible). The tiff file size is 4.7 MB.
The following formats are available:
- JPG
- TIFF
- BMP

Updated the spreadsheet. So far I have 4 orders to build for the US users. Maybe 5 if Bruce is still interested.
Most of the parts are in. The new board is on order. Should be in early next week.
Noticed a few Winait owners. Can anybody with Winait do a few shots of the controller section with the view of the top and the back.

[ September 19, 2019, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Stan Jelavic ]

|  IP: Logged

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 06:39 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, my TIFF Tests :
2592x1944 24bits (max camera sensor) = 13.9M
2048x1536 24bits = 10.3M
1920x1080 24bits (HD) = 5,56M

[ September 20, 2019, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Bruce Davis
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 08:14 PM      Profile for Bruce Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan Jelavic Hi, yes I am still very much interested so please go ahead with the Wolverine Pro.
Thanks and regards - Bruce

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 08:28 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bruce. That makes it 5 boards... will keep me pretty busy next week.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 05:46 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kamel your kindness and generosity is much appreciated.

I am very grateful for this. Thank You So much for printing these for me.

Until I am ready to make the modification, the parts will remain packed in the envelope.

Arrived today, all safe and sound.

Stan Thanks for the info.
 -

[ September 20, 2019, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 06:24 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome Mike, I'm glad that everything has arrived safely.
You can already install the curved pulleys at first, this preserves the films. This does not require complicated disassembly.
I hope Stan will also soon receive his spare parts. Have fun. [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to receiving these Kamel. This reminds me to check the film transport without pulleys to see if there is any slippage. The original Wolverine uses the clutch with continuous tension and the roller type pulleys would not work. The force would drag the film forward any time the claw disengages. The new controller pulses the motor that pulls the film against the claw (after the cam is done) and then lets go. So it should work.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 10:11 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just received an email telling me camera and lens are waiting for me at the office.
Too late to get them today.

I won't be putting my Kamel guides on until I do the mod.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not even to test? ...(before and after), LOL.
No problem Mike, I hope the 3D parts will fit. [Wink]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 10:30 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply because I don't want to keep opening the scanner more than needed.

I would have liked to have picked up the camera today, but I have to work all weekend, so I must continue to be patient.

Not an easy thing for me to be patient [Smile]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2019 01:00 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to wait for the new board Mike before you can do anything with the camera. Maybe set it up with the laptop and get it ready. The capture program is pretty simple.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 02:19 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to wait for the board and other bits I need.

I have two weeks of hell at work, including all weekend this weekend, so no time to do anything much.

I won't get my hands on the camera until Monday, I might just have a sneek peek and show you a photo, but no time for anything else for a fortnight.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 05:48 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 05:48 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I'm trying to understand your shematic (old v6) to learn.
Is it normal that there are tracks without components? what are all the _conn01 (J23, j21 ...) used for testing, are these vias?

I'm going slowly! [Confused]

-

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 07:33 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to check the camera just to make sure all is ok, Mike.

Those are the vias Kamel, needed for routing.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 08:08 AM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Stan thanks,
I was wondering if I had a library that was not loaded because I have tracks that are not connected ?!? [Wink]

-

[ September 21, 2019, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Kamel Ikhlef ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 11:37 AM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was for the old style connector.
 -

I added the new version of the connector:

-

But still kept the old if the new one gives us trouble. But since the new connector works ok (just difficult to solder due to fine pitch) there is no need for the old connector. Removed it in ver7.

Kamel Ikhlef
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 12:17 PM      Profile for Kamel Ikhlef   Email Kamel Ikhlef   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ! OK Stan. Thanks for clearly answer (sorry for my beginner questions). [Confused]

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beginner questions are very valid.

In the future as other people discover this thread, there will be many beginners who value the simplest of questions.

Stan, you are doing a fine job and I can't wait ( but I will [Eek!] ) for the new board.

I promise to get the camera out of the box and check it out, I won't have time to do that on Monday but hopefully by Weds I can.

So a question for Kamel and Stan when I come to test the camera I would appreciate a tutorial on how best to approach handling the image sensor, lens mount and actually mounting the lens.

I am capable of doing it, I would just like your top tips and sensible suggestions as how best to handle such expensive delicate bits of equipment.

Once tested, should I remove the lens and store back in it's box until ready to mod? etc etc.

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 01:31 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like what Mike says - these are good questions. I have some stuff there that I left in, either for testing or flexibility but never had a chance to document. So, please feel free to ask.

I will create a short video on how to install the lens Mike.

Now, a bit about USB.

For the non-pro model there is a hand grip indentation in the housing and it in the way of the L adapter.
So, for that model a different adapter is required:

https://www.amazon.com/AKOAK-Adapter-Degree-Female-Connector/dp/B01DEM7L48/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_3/144-7758567-5407635?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DEM7L48&pd_rd_r=54af8fe4-a94f-4f66-829 8-954528e7342e&pd_rd_w=Z8UPe&pd_rd_wg=X6kVg&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=A7F5WA7H7R7V3TC5QBGG&psc=1&refRID=A7F5WA7H7R7V3TC5QBGG

Alternatively, you can do it without the adapter but if will not be that nice:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z29aR8akZQy6qo7XA

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a thought that given where the usb socket is on the board, it won't be possible to mount a fan over the top of the image sensor board, on additional extended spacers/risers as I had first thought.

Unless we are going for empire state scanner....... yikes.

I think I will just take a usb out of the board to the top of the scanner case and make some kind of join there with a soldered lead/extension cable tie affair.

That will take the pressure off of the board USB socket.

I don't need pretty. I just need it to work.

Perhaps taking still images every two seconds, the camera won't get hot enough to require cooling, it will not be tightly covered in my case, only time will tell.

Thinking about where the camera is mounted, dust could be a problem with it 'open to the elements' but equally, closing it in too tight will make it get hot.

Appearance doesn't matter to me, it's only me and the cat looking at it, steampunk is a good look, but dust on the board is not a good look.

I intend to cover the entire scanner and it's 200ft reels, with some kind of upside down clear plastic tub, with vent hole cut in it, during scanning.

When it is not scanning, it will be in it's new sealed box that I have made ready.

A tutorial video would be really helpful Stan, but no hurry

[ September 22, 2019, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Mike Spice ]

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 03:11 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 90 degree adapter might work and allow for a miniature fan on top of the camera if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HL9W8M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2OKSEIX7OEK0B&psc=1

Doug Maxwell
Junior

- posted September 21, 2019 03:23 PM      Profile for Doug Maxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone. Been stalking this thread for a few weeks. My tale is a common one ... I bought a Wolverine a month ago and consider it not terrible but not great. I've sat through enough telecine sessions in my life to make me sad for the missed potential of this machine and started to wonder if anyone was 'improving' this device. I started googling, and here I am. I must say, absolutely great stuff.

I'm blessed with time and a decent pro video editing system, so taking two seconds to scan one frame is fine with me. If the quality is there, then the longer the scan, the better... in my opinion. I'm wanting to 'futureproof' my efforts, so the bigger the better.

I am very interested in adding my name to the list of people buying boards. My questions for now are ...

1) Is there a 'master list' yet of all the current components needed?
2) Can the 3D printed parts be purchased with the board?
3) What's the maximum resolution reached thus far once the pictures are post processed and cropped into a video file? Is it still 1080 (which isn't terrible), or can it reach into 2k or 4k?
4) Is there a rough ballpark estimate of total cost for everything? Not including the Wolverine, of course.

Thank you!

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stalking this thread?

[Razz]

Welcome.

Stan is the man who can answer your questions

Stan Jelavic
Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 07:11 PM      Profile for Stan Jelavic   Email Stan Jelavic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug, Welcome.
The list of parts is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kRLFXMu_waquZV3C_lqRLaxhZEY6T7EC/view?usp=sharing

The cost estimate is on the spreadsheet also but in unit qty it may be somewhat higher.

The camera, lens, and the lens holder are around $200 for the US including shipping.

We are still in a process of testing the capstan. Do you have lots of film with damaged sprockets? If so then should consider adding the capstan. The motor is on the spreadsheet but I do not have the cost for all 3D parts. Kamel can provide that.

Ah yes - resolution. We had lots of discussion on that subject.
I prefer running the camera using the 9mm spacers with 1300x960 pixel resolution optical resolution.
It is possible to run it using the 5mm spacers and that gives you 1800x1300 resolution.
But..... at that close distance the lens starts struggling and the corners go a bit out of focus. It is very slight but it is there. But it is really up to you because it is easy to change the spacers.
For resolutions higher than this you would have to pick the right lens. So far we have not found one that would meet all our requirements for HD or higher.
Keep in mind that Wolverine HD is not really that. It is half of that (we confirmed that by using their optical setup) and they double the resolution digitally. That is actually one of the causes of digital artifacts, that plus sharpening. In my opinion they should have left that alone, but then again, they are very limited by the original design (based on lapse mode camera product).

All times are Central
This topic comprises 56 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  54  55  56 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC