8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » 8mm Test Film Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm Test Film Needed
Mike McCord
Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2013 08:36 PM      Profile for Mike McCord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a small reel of clean color standard 8 mm film. It can be just about anything, but prefer people, homes, street/store signs, store fronts - anything without a lot of jerking.

I am attempting to telecine some old 8mm films for an old friend, and the films are not in very good condition. Too many years, too much time in the attic...etc.

I need this to calibrate my projector/box/camera. I also need to know if my lens are clean. The words in this film will allow me to set and watch focus, white balance, etc. The ones I have are pretty old and the camera man was a quick jerky type.

Yes, I know the forum's advice about NOT doing this conversion yourself, but I am an old retired tech and love to tackle the difficult.

I am willing to pay (PayPal ?) a reasonable fee plus shipping - USA only.

I find this forum to be most informative about subjects I never knew existed, even though 8MM film was part of my childhood.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2013 03:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that anyone would sell you a precious home movie to make tests. I would advise to buy a 50 (or 200) feet extract reel of a professional film. It should not be hard to find on ebay at reasonnable price. If you really want to see films on a tv or computer screen instead of a real one...

--------------------
Dominique

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2013 04:38 AM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
I too practice the art of telecine at home and have transferred many reels from different sources. Some of them look absolutely perfect, while others, especially those that are jerky, with wild panning shots etc will always look terrible. Film stock also makes a big difference, and the transfer seems to highlight the flaws more than when projecting onto a screen. Remember, you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter, so using a film-restoring script after transfer may help to correct some flaws in the film,but ultimately, you are limited by the quality of your source material.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 23, 2013 01:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you can't polish a turd
Oh how true [Eek!]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 09:40 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
janice- i have a large library of my families old home movies etc. pm me if you want to get them for your test

Mike McCord
Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2013 01:22 PM      Profile for Mike McCord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses.

Dominique - I did not think of that, I took your advice and ordered one from eBay.

John - Good advice. Later on, I'd like to pick your brain about telecine'ing. Let me get further into it. Right now, I do not know what "I do not know"...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 24, 2013 01:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that you will enjoy watching a real film and, who knows, keep on projecting a real screen with a real projector [Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC