8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell 1585 low sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 1585 low sound
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2013 07:47 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Bell and Howell 1585 low sound

I played many films on it including a 2000 ft reel today the sound was great. Then when I tried to play more films I get low sound I can hardly hear it. Anybody know what the problem may be?

The belts set for sound and the lever is on sound. The sound bulb lights up

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 31, 2013 07:52 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely nothing to do with this problem.. But with with a pal of mine this week who is leading the way with improving the way to excellent 16mm sound with reverse scan and stereo from a simple B&H TQ3 machine. 16mm will have its day I believe and it will be will be due to improvising film enthusiasts intent of instilling the highest quality from 16. Quite an amazing time for our hobby. . .

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2013 08:19 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope someone could help because it messed up my night

I wonder if the sound bulb is going,even tough it still lights up

I cleaned the optics and adjusted it while playing a film and sound was still low. Maybe I have a blown speaker

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 03:39 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

Is the volume low on the films that played fine earlier as well?

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,the volume is low I tried bunch of small films still low sound. Is it possible to have low sound even though the sound bulb is still on? It will cost 75.00 for a new board if that's the problem,not where I want to go. I'm going to put a new sound bulb in and see what happens. Then if still not good maybe buy a speaker. It's a good projector and runs film great it's a shame I ran into this problem.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2013 11:51 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try all of these troubleshooting tips for low volume (above), distortion at all volume levels (center) and crackling noises (below)? Can you try another speaker?

-

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 04:57 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the information you require Brian.
http://www.filmprojectors.eu/listshow.asp?catid=2&brand=Bell%20Howell

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2013 06:19 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
So the photo cell is the lens near the lamp with one end large barrel and other small end towards the film? If so I adjusted and cleaned no change.

Next I'm going to try a new bulb and test the old speaker with a cheap one

Check circuit board? What am I looking for? I don't see anything out of ordanary

[ November 03, 2013, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Brian Stearns ]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I found the problem,and glad I did, saved me from spending money. When I went to check the amp board I noticed the brass metal piece that connects the capacitor to another one sticking out. So I just re inserted it in the board and glued it and sound is back.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 03:34 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Glad you found the problem
Good talking with you
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2013 08:53 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah good talking to you. I appreciate your help and setting me in right direction. Every time problems arise I feel I'm getting more knowledge in how to repair projector. In the beginning of my collecting films I was very ignorant and just wasted money buying projectors without repair.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC