8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » eBay Oddities (Please post all funny eBay links here!) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  40  41  42 

Author Topic: eBay Oddities (Please post all funny eBay links here!)
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jan
Yes it is indeed a striping machine. It just amazes me that the seller is so sure the striper is a Eumig projector, or a projector of any make for that matter. Perhaps they found all this stuff in an old Eumig box, or looked at the middle of the three reels in the front of the picture which I think is a Eumig brand. If they had said 'assorted cine equipment' they would have avoided the spotlight on this one. That's not a bad price for a striper with reels come to think of it [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 14, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly wouldn't be if there was magnetic stripe included which unfortunately it doesn't seem to be. [Smile]

And now for the next "I can't believe they didn't notice this" auction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=8271&item=5774789836&rd=1

It's a new, unused Elmo ST-1200D M&O machine. So far, so good, right? Well, then - why is the lamp switch in the "hi" position, rather than "off?" And why is the supply reel arm sitting on the lamphouse when it shouldn't be able to go down that far [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got to add this one. Saw it today and couldn't believe my eyes. Obviously seller didn't have a clue what 8mm was more or less an old filmstrip projector. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7516367792&rd=1&sspagena me=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

By the way, that's my comment to the seller through my daughter's ebay account.

Have to add one more comment to this. This probably shows I'm no spring chicken here. I actually remember my school using these. Oh my. Need to keep that Junior title as long as I can.

Rick

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 17, 2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like, OH MY GOD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15253&item=7516779678&rd=1

First, there's the price. [Eek!] Then the comment about how the films need "dipped" first. What the heck does she mean by that? [Cool]

And the kicker: "Some rust on the reels, but films have no damage."

Okay?!? Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but: Rust = humidity. Humidity = water. Water + film = bad. Heck, if it was humid it probably was hot, too! [Roll Eyes]

And how about that feedback? Gosh golly, I don't think I would take the films for free. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leon Palermo
Junior

- posted May 20, 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Leon Palermo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 20, 2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Leon, ???

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 20, 2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Leon seems to have trouble posting. Who was it again that was having the same problem a while ago... I don't remember.

But back to eBay... This one just kills me. [Smile]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1476&item=6398471261&rd=1
No, there isn't anything wrong with that auction - but seeing Kevin F be the seller and Kevin C the current high bidder is one rare and beautiful sight. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Famous Ebay Qoutes

"My Momma used to say, buying from Ebay is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Forrest Gump after trying to find a nice ring for Jenny

[Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 24, 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan, I never looked at it like that. Unfortunately Kev C didnt get it as the buyer bought it on "Buy it now" Oh the fun of ebay or is it heartache? [Wink]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 24, 2005 04:52 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12&item=7325443494&rd=1
Rare? This is probably the single most frequently listed item in all of eBay's 8mm category!

"This is one of their first movies! Circa 1930s"

Just to set the record straight, "Abbott and Costello Meet The Keystone Kops" (the feature this abridgement is from) is one of the Bud & Lou's final films (1955) not one of their first.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 24, 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who the person was that messaged the seller and tried to put you in a bad light, Doug. [Frown] [Confused] At least the seller is handling it rather gracefully, plus admitting to having been misinformed in regards to the supposed rarity of this film. [Smile] I'd just hate to see our "worst of eBay" fun come back to bite us in the arse (pardon the language)! [Eek!]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 24, 2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the person who e-mailed the seller realizes that the reason this topic heading exists is to first, point out the mistakes and over inflated value that some sellers (unknowingly or not)place on their items and second, for us to get a chuckle out of it. The members of this forum are knowledgeable about this field so it's interesting for us to see how 8mm films and equipment are presented on eBay. I would also suggest that there was nothing in my post that attacks the seller personally, no matter what this person would like to infer.

To that person: Feel free to e-mail me using the above link (letter icon) and explain why you felt the need to do such. Do you go through all our postings and notify the sellers? Just curious.

This topic has gone through a few title changes in its brief history. If "Worst of eBay" is too offensive there's always "Silly little eBay". [Razz]

Doug

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 24, 2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea, why not go with that new topic title. [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 25, 2005 06:08 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets have some ideas on a more meaningful name for this thread. I did ask Brad if its possible to change the name on this thread instead of starting a fresh one.
This name did upset another member a while a go. I think silly little ebay maybe a bit silly [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2005 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 'Ebay Oddities' [Big Grin]

Mike

ps. just found this; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37608&item=5201776499&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW at $50 and reserve not met I guess it must be one of a kind. [Roll Eyes]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 25, 2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, LOL ... I don't know which is worse, the "perfect control" part (whose control? What? Huh?) or the part where the seller's husband thinks it will play on both 8mm and 16mm projectors. [Big Grin] (I suppose that would work if the film has sprocket holes only on every second frame [Wink] )

BTW, I think "eBay Oddities" would be a perfect topic title. Gets my vote [Smile]

--------------------

Erkki Tikkanen
Junior

- posted May 28, 2005 08:11 AM      Profile for Erkki Tikkanen   Email Erkki Tikkanen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy film transfers [Cool]

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10660&item=5776583620&rd=1

Just insert your Super 8 cartridge (!) and use your video recorder to watch your films.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OUCH. [Eek!] [Big Grin] This is one of those where you don't know whether to laugh or cry. I did chuckle but then immediately proceeded to inform the seller of his/her egregious mistake in the hopes that he/she will cancel the auction... before the winning bidder throws them a negative feedback due to a misleading description! [Frown]

--------------------

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
star wars original 8mm film selected scences 400ft
original star wars movie scences original box

======> 750,- US-Dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Eek!]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63821&item=6400951761&rd=1

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gahhh, why is it always the new users (with 0 feedback) that pull off this silly nonsense [Mad] Doesn't anyone bother to research the value of their items anymore? [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres a bargain [Eek!] http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6183316301&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:UK:1

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 31, 2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just shoot me... do it now, please [Eek!]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 10, 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very optimistic, but nicely written copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37887&item=6538043090&rd=1

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 10, 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Now if he were selling the entire feature, the price might actually be realistic... but as it is, the listing seems to be more rare than the item [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst trawling for movie stuff on Ebay today I found this, just for a change something unusual that is film related and not a ridiculously overpriced item. Perhaps a Hammer films fan could help this seller?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=90736&item=7525473131&rd=1&tc=photo

PS. The one on the left looks TOO real for me, kept nice & fresh with clingfilm by the looks of it; the seller says it feels sticky [Eek!]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 42 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  40  41  42 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC