8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New Forum Member.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Forum Member.
Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 08:07 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,
I just joined the forum and wanted to say hello and tell you a little about myself. I have been an avid visitor to the forum at least twice weekly for a couple of years and have found it both entertaining and informative. Thanks to the advice given to others by the experienced and knowledgable members here I have been able to sort out problems on two of my projectors, which apart from saving me money, enhanced my enjoyment of this hobby by giving me the confidence to attempt the repairs.
I have been a collector of films for most of my life, being introduced to the enjoyment of "film Shows" by my dad in the 1960's. He had a collection of short comedy films both sound and silent, and every so often he would put on a show and my brother and I would sit on the floor transfixed to the exploits of The Keystone Cops, Charlie Chaplin and Old Mother Riley. I still get a nostalgic "buzz" when I see the Walton "W" at the start of a movie.
I started working in the mid 70's and very quickly bought my first projector and started collecting. I still use my dad's old projector stand, which sadly is all that remains of his days in the hobby as he sold everything when he discovered the delights of fishing.
I collect old horror and sci- fi features both on Super 8 and 16mm formats and over the years have built up quite a collection. It does take up a lot of room but I have an understanding partner who loves the hobby as much as I do. She even buys the odd movie as well.
I would like to thank you all for making this forum the valuable resource that it is, as there must be many people like myself, who have never got around to joining, but pop in once or twice a week, and have picked up hints and tips that have helped them get the most out of this great hobby.
Best wishes,
Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Mercer Thorburn
Junior

- posted March 04, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Stuart Mercer Thorburn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Paul, looks like the Admin has been busy this weekend with 2 new starts already.
I still remember the day I was allowed into the booth of our local flea pit, the amazement I felt as a child transfixed by the projector twice the size of me will always remain as I endure another rerun of 'The land that time forgot' on the tv [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My God, it's full of stars

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes likewise, welcome Paul. There is a wealth of knowledege on this forum from all corners of the globe so I'm sure you will find plenty to keep you glued to your PC.
Like wise it will be great hvaing your contributions.

Enjoy, Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul & welcome. Your post has brought back so many happy childhood memories of a REEL Saturday night with Dad.

A can of Coka Cola, fish & chips in newspaper & Charlie Chaplin shorts, happy days.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

Welcome [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul and Staurt( did you get the bits?) also did Colin manage Kev.
Best Mark.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 10:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul and welcome.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there in France did anything drop in at your end???
Best mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul - a warm welcome. You clearly have good taste in films! Have you seen the list produced by CHC of titles that were in the collection of the late Gerald Price? If not, it may well be of interest as it includes a lot of horror/fantasy material, much of it from the 1950s and earlier.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Paul, your early experiences of this hobby is very similar to mine except for me it was a decade earlier.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Welcome

I only wish I had been introduced to it earlier.
The nice thing about this forum is the willingness on the part of other members to try and help out. I like the fact that there is no such thing as a stupid question and my only wish is that those out there who are reading the posts don't always share their knowledge, thoughts or ideas.

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 01:11 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OT: Mark, no, not yet. Mail is extremely sluggish these days. /OT

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,
thank you for the warm welcome I do appreciate it. Many thanks too Adrian for the info on the Gerald Price collection at CHC. There are 2 films that I am particularly interested on Phil's list so I must give him a ring in the week and enquire about the prices, it's just that I've been buying loads on ebay and I want to ring up Independent 8 on Monday to check on the availability of one of the titles there as well. I suppose I'll have to start doing lot's more overtime to refill the coffers.
All the best,
Paul.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 04, 2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, welcome to forum. [Smile] Always great hearing from a new member. I know you'll enjoys the people here. [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Paul,

Glad to hear that you signed up, and posted the wonderful
bio of your appreciation for this wonderful hobby.
Incidentally, reading your story made me feel as
if I was experiencing it for myself all over again. [Smile]

Best wishes,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 08, 2006 12:37 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, welcome to the forum and thanks for the great introduction which was fun to read. [Smile] Similarly to Michael, I felt thrown back to when I first discovered the magic of film... come to think of it, I suppose it really started on that fateful day when my Dad showed me one particular feature that his Bauer C1 super-8 camera had that I had not been aware of until then.....

SINGLE-FRAME EXPOSURE.... MY VERY OWN ANIMATED MOVIES.... [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Paul. Great to have 2 new members join in such quick succession.

If you have half as much fun and enthusiasm that I have gained from the Forum, you'll be "doin' good".

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Are you The Paul who used to park his train at Rayners Lane and visit
Cineworld across the road !
If so How are are you old sod !!
If not my appolgies and I will get back to the Red Wine.
Ian (Perry's)

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 08:48 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,
yes it's me, still film collecting and still boating and still putting out fires. Tania and me were at a birthday bash in Southall 2 weeks ago and there was a fire in a skip in the hotel car park. As my car was nearby I was strongly compelled to assist the poor old manager. Then there was a fire yesterday in the apartment next to mine. As my films were stored nearby I was strongly compelled etc; etc; (Maybe I'm a jinx!)
I rumble passed the back of the old Cineworld Shop almost every day and it always back happy memories.
All the best,
Paul.
(Tania sends her best too.)

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul / Tania
Glad to hear you are still fighting fires, It seems every time we meet
something goes up in flames..........First time you came over was the night of the
disastrous Kings Cross Fire, the second time you came over one summer evening we
planned a trip up the river on the Perry's Gin- Palace (Floating Asset)
I was demonstrating just how reliable outboards engines are in my garage, having not
started it for the duration of the winter, Watch this I said to Paul...... it will go first pull
on the cord, well it did go......... Up in flames I was left running around like a headless
chicken screaming Fire - Fire.
Paul as cool as a cucumber calmly picked up a fire extinguisher that was laying close
to hand and proceed to cover the flaming outboard in white Powder, Top Man.
This man should have been a Fireman not a train Driver, so Paul if you plan on coming
over let me know and I will increase my insurance policy.
Sorry this short story had nothing to do with the film Forum but it could have been a
"Towering Inferno"
Regards
Ian

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow!

And so close to the Perry's temperature controlled and fully insured shed!

Well, Ian, last year you promised us a BBQ followed by a shed tour. I am only thankfull that we failed to take this any further!

Oh, by the way, all forum members will be in a state of shock to see not one but two postings. Paul must have been a big spender [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony
Paul was a big player in super 8 collecting back in the seventies, eighties, and
nineties, never asked for discounts always paid the full retail price, a true gentleman
with a great sense of humour, many a happy hour spent at the Isleworth shop and late
of the Rayners Lane headquarters of Cineworld laughing at the many idiosyncrasies
of this great hobby, Paul does a great impersonation of Mr Chubbly Warner but always
refused point blank to come to any conventions, I wonder why ? Paul Answer please.
Now that's three postings in as many day's Just might put a list out next week you
never Know...............
Regards
Ian

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2006 01:07 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

DISCOUNTS? Gosh, are these available then [Eek!] Does the tax man know [Wink]

Yes, 3 posts. Well you have the weekend to recover. I know what you are up to......

.....trying to catch up with Jan and Kevin [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC