8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Four Most influential Sci Fi Films ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Four Most influential Sci Fi Films ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 11, 2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My two passions have always been sci-fi and animation. In many ways, animation is far more magical, taking pencil drawings and breathing real life into them, but Sci-Fi has just as magical of an ability to transport you, well, out of this world.

Before I list my four picks for the most influential sci-fi films, (granted, I'm only taking into account this latest wave of Sci-fi from the last forty years), I must tip the hat to ...

2001: A Space Oddessy

Though ponderous and very slow moving, the special effects far out classed nearly anything being produced at the time and would not be equaled, (even by "Silent Running") until the first of my picks. It was not the first serious Sci-Fi of course, but it was among the first that could be taken seriously because of the visuals in combination with the story.

1. STAR WARS

A masterpiece in nearly everyway. The visuals, for nearly the first time, equaled the vision we had in our minds of space battles and great fantasy. It is interesting to compare this film to "Logans Run" from just a year before. Lucas, (and his capable team) was able to bring to life a visual splendor that we had only dreamed about. Lucas did two other things quite wise for the time. Though he was encouraged to have a rock-n-roll soundtrack, he chose classical orchestra, as he did not want his film to become dated. The other wise choice was to make this film a PG film and not have a lot of R-rated elements added into the story in order to sensationalize it. he wanted the feel of the old fashioned serials he grew up with in the movie theaters as a kid. He succeeded admirably. You have no
sexual politics, no grandiose foul language, (only two slight cussing's in the film), just adventure and spectacle on a grand scale, and hero you could truly cheer for, at a time when the world really needed SOMETHING to cheer for. This wasn't a 70's "message" film, unless the message was, "Lets escape for awhile!"

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Note: Though some would list this in 1977, I prefer 1978. Along with STAR WARS, this film redefined what could be shown on the big screen visually. Douglas Trumball, the mastermind behind 2001's special effects, really topped himself, (and, in some ways, never equaled). In this case, where STAR WARS was in a galaxy far far away, this was in our own backyard! Though there had been literally countless attempts at UFO stories, in this one, the UFO's looked truly real and not some paper plates floating in the air. The story was also quite above what had been seen in this sort of film. Also, this was one of the first, (perhaps not the first) where the aliens were not enemies, but friends.

3. ALIEN

I find it fascinating that three of the four films follow one year after another. While STAR WARS and CE3K had 1970's "artifice" to them, ALIEN had nearly none of this. Lucas, though not the first, brought to the forefront a "lived in" universe. That is, the ships aren't pristine, they are pock marked with laser burns, dust, ect. In ALIEN, this is done to perfection. The space freighter "Nostromo" looks like it is one step away from the salvage yard. This was also one of the first films to blend two genres in a truly successful manner, Sci-fi/horror. Ridley Scott (who is always fun to watch), gave the film a visual splendor but went old fashioned, as he wisely did not allow us to see much of the monster until it was absolutely necessary. It was truly a well paced film, worthy of the special effects. By the way, in this case (not STAR WARS), Ridley Scott was more technically accurate about space itself.

4. BLADERUNNER

All complaints about the story aside, this film is also another timeless masterpiece. This film, also directed by Scott, presented us with a Los Angeles of the near future that was very real, with no seams showing. It is a decadent dying planet. Not only were the visuals up to the task, but listen to the soundtrack sometime, without the visuals. The ambient sounds of the city; you can literally hear the decay and debris. Listen to the near silence where it is presented. It's fascinating. It also presented an element which would also highly influence Sci-fi for many years ... what makes a human ... human? Is it merely flesh and blood, or is that which makes humanity what it is, not of flesh and blood, but of ideals?

All four of these films are most watchable and highly repeatable. I would love to hear your picks for what make up the top influential films ...

By the way, four of the five films mentioned, are all on Super 8 in they're full feature format!

My next topic ... Most Influential HORROR!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 04:22 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with:

Forbidden Planet
Star Wars
Battlestar Galactica - guilty indulgence!

David

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 05:23 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Try this link, I think you will enjoy it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCd9kx9Raw

Rick [Smile]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 12, 2009 01:09 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
WAR OF THE WORLDS
STAR WARS (Unfortunately!!)
ALIEN

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 12, 2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony Hopkins has an absolutely magnificent forehead. A good forehead isn't an automatic for a male. Clint Eastwood has a great forehead as well. Strong and "veiny"!

NOTE: I was only taking into account films from the last forty years. If I was to include earlier ones, obviously, "War of the Worlds" would have been one of the four.

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 09:24 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DALEKS INVASION OF EARTH 2150AD
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
STAR WARS

All epics in my eyes!
Pat
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2009 05:29 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we ignore the fact that the movies themselves might not be that good, there are other influential, though flawed films to consider:

Planet of the Apes - For its prosthetic SFX.
Dark Star - Tedium in Space
Barbarella - Can't think of a very good reason other than that Jane Fonda certainly had an influence on me!
Them! - The dangers of atomic technology.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 12:58 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone mentioned CHERRY 2000?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 03:40 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny Steven ... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(I could see him write back, "No, hey, I'm serious!")

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to show my silent film colors, but wouldn't A trip to the Moon be one being that is was roughly the first, and set a nice relationship in terms of sci fi films and effects?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 09:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though hokey by today's standards
, your right Dino, an excellent film.

It truly stuns me to think of how much this world changed from the time that, "A Trip To The Moon" was released, and less than 60 years after that film, we actually made a trip to the moon!

One of Americas true shining moments. We really needed one during that turbulent decade.

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 02:23 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are of course a significant minority of people who disparage the brave efforts of Armstrong, Aldrin & Collins by saying that the whole thing was a hoax. I am (emphatically) not one of them...

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 09:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about that Bart!

One of the points brought up was that the flag, in some of the photo's was blowing in a fairly good breeze and a lot of people questioned as to how there could be a good breeze up on the moon.

I know for a fact that they went to the moon. The reason why is that since the scientists believed that the moon had been up there for millions of years, they built long legs on the "lunar lander", expecting, (estimating) a good foot or more dust.

Imagine they're surprise when they found only an eighth of an inch o dust on the moon!

What was that movie made about the supposed "cover up"? Was it "Hangar 18"?

I know "Capricorn One" was another attempt with that idea.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC