8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Sad News; David Erskine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad News; David Erskine
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news, our forum member and M. C. at Derann's Blackpool event, David Erskine, died yesterday. I heard the news from Projections magazine editor, Pete Travers, who reported he'd had two heart attacks. To borrow Pete's words "we'll miss the cheeky chap!"

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!!!

That is sad news. He was indeed a funny guy. He'll be missed in our hobby.

RIP David

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:24 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that. He looked like a very happy guy from his picture.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:37 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sad indeed.
I didn't know Mr. Erskine except from his posts until this February. He graciously agreed to pass some parts information on to a friend as I was looking for a pair of gearwheels.

He couldn't have been nicer (and funnier) in his emails and his helpfulness was above the call of duty.

R.I.P.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news, I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times, very cheerful guy, he'll be much missed.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad to hear the news. Indeed a major loss to the film collecting world.

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:44 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear this. My condolances to his family and friends.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 03:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always sad to hear of the passing of one of the members. My condolences.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 08, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear this news. David's posts (and his emails) could somehow be both lighthearted and cantankerous at the same time. I picked up the word "Ruggish" from him, and I've used his "Sometimes I'm a trifle dim - other times I'm just thick."
He'll be missed here greatly. My sympathies to his family, friends and Group 9.5.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That explains a few things...

Thanks for relaying the news Simon.

R.I.P. David

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P. Dave. My condolences to his family.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences to his family and friends.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 07:34 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts are with his family and friends...I did not know him although I enjoyed seeing his smiling face on his posts. Very sad to hear the news.

Bill

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed. I never met David, but of course I knew of him through his many posts on the 9.5mm section of the forum. I am sure he will be greatly missed by all film collectors, both in the UK and here.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 10:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David sold me his Super 8mm print of Mickey's Christmas Carol shortly after I started collecting. The few e-mails we traded during the transaction were filled with great humor and warmth.

Farewell, David.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 04:16 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it,s sad but the good ones like david it will stay forever in
our heart,this.s one more motive to keep the hobby alive...
my condolences to his family and friends

luis caramelo

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 09, 2011 07:34 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did not know him, except through the forum - I do extend my sympathies to his family and friends alike - God Bless from Shorty

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad news.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 09, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Erskine ...

I write this not in your memory, as you are not mere memories but cherished moments that can never be tarnished ...

I never knew you to have a evil report of another
I never knew you to be dishonest ...

I knew you to be ...

warm ...
jovial ...

and, as Shakespeare said ... "A man of Infinte Jest"

and my life now has a hole that, while others could potentially fill it, it will never be filled quite in the way that you did.

You e-mails and such I recieved from you were always welcomed. When I would see your e-mail address, it brought a smile to my face, an expectation of good things to follow ...

... and follow they did.

This world is full of the mediocre, the evil ...

and then there are the good ...
One of which is one Mr. Erskine ...

If one is held in the heart, and not forgotten ...
He is never truly dead ...

You live, and will continue to live on ...

So, my friend ...

May God be with you in your continuing journey!

Sincerely

Kevin Shawn Sparrowawk OSI Thorton Osgood

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 12:43 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear this. I heard he was ill at last weeks 9.5 Spring Fair and hoped for his recovery. He was a positive presence in the small world of things 9.5 for more years than I can remember. Irreplaceable.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 10, 2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only heard this yesterday and posted in the 9.5 section, but I am very saddened by this latest news as I now have 2 less friends to meet in September at the 9.5 get-together. I truly worry about the future of the gauge, etc as this is becoming a trend. Every issue of the club journal has info about a few more that we have lost, and the sad thing about Warton and David is that they were 2 of the computer savvy ones, so therefore very important to those of us overseas...I was really looking forward to having a very sarcastic and belly-splitting weekend battling words with Mr. Erskine, but yet another I will never get a chance to meet in person....He will be missed by many of us.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 03:18 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I new David for many years now, and only finding out today has shocked me, he was a real original, always ready with a cheeky quip or two. The Blackpool evening meal will not be the same anymore, and I will miss being a 'Butt' of one of his jokes on the night, which I encouraged and joined in with. The FILM FAMILY has lost a very fine member, he will be fondly remembered.

All I can say are my thoughts go out to David's family at this time, he will be missed!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC