8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Best feature films that use "Snow" as a theme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best feature films that use "Snow" as a theme
Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I might add...what are your favourite films that either include "snow" as a main theme oras a feature within the film? (excluding documentary's)

A classic that I once obtained on 16mm "Snowbound" with Robert Newton..Dennis Price a real cracking thriller. I would love this on DVD..wish I had never sold my 16mm original print!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040808/

Here is a link to watch the full film:

http://free-classic-movies.com/movies-04/04-1948-03-23-Snowbound/index.php

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 22, 2015 02:08 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snow White? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] (a little jock et)

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 02:18 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Shining".

Just look at the ungraded shots on one of the excellent Blu-ray documentaries, with piles of salt looking totally yellow and fake with pre-grading (no "yellow snow" jokes, please) [Roll Eyes]

Then witness the graded magic that is the finished product.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob

totally agree on that...the snow scenes were integral in a visual sense to the insipid fear...in the story/book wise and the film...really heightened the isolation, etc... [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the reason for it snowing at the end of 'Edward Scissorhands".

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is interesting that "Snow"...can have eerie effects - subtlety scary when used in movies like "Scott of Antarctic" (Ealing). Illustrative of the claustrophobic effect of this kind of film

This was also demonstrated in the "Shining" as the isolated backdrop of the hotel - Kubrick at his best visually...although I was not happy with the film because of the "Nicholson" overacting!!!! But, overall what a good film. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 10:30 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's A Wonderful Life". Specifically, when George Bailey is on the bridge and he says "I want to live again" and the snow starts to fall.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 23, 2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Films that come to mind are Ground Hog Day (1993) , Fargo (1996), and the animated film Frozen (2013) .

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a feature but hey here goes..."Do you like Snow? "

Remember that one Mark? [Big Grin]

Gremlins has lots of snow featured in it, as well as the infamous Snow White scene. So as I am both a huge Spielberg fan as well as a Disney fan...
That's my overall favourite I'd say. [Smile]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 03:02 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice

I have a real fondness for "Groundhog Day" and I certainly think the the "snow" element really added to the overall feel of the movie.

Andrew, yes I remember "Do You Like Snow" - excellent.

"The Heroes of Telemark" with Kirk Douglas as snow themed classic. I had a nice Walton 4 x 400 of this also if you have a mind chech this very scary movie out - anyone seen it? - called "Windchill" (2007) with Emily Blunt...incredibly atmospheric. Here is a link to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5k4a39lhWQ

[Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 11:52 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPELLBOUND by Hitchcock.

Bill [Smile]

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 04:06 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call of the Wild, Charlton Heston and Buck, was it Iver that released it on super 8, I remember hiring I think it was 5x400 or 6x400.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Dangerous Ground. Underrated movie starring Robert Ryan and Ida lupino.
Track of the Cat. Robert Mitchum
Nightfall a 1957 thriller from Jacques Tourneur.

All set in snow covered locations that set of the drama. All worth a watch if they come your way.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see the Abominable Snowman is on tonight and not a flake of snow about the Himalayas. aka Bray Studios [Eek!]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2015 11:22 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Misery" used snow as an integral element of entrapment.

"The Thing" ,again, used the cold environment to add to the claustrophobia.

"Where Eagles Dare" wouldn't have been the same in the spring [Big Grin]

The use of frost/winter to reflect emotions in "Dr. Zhivago" is unforgettable.

In "Let the Right One In", the snowy landscape becomes a metaphor for the boy's isolated life.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hammer film was great and the snow sets impressive, helped by the black and white photography, I think. But nobody has mentioned The Empire Strikes Back... also had its own Yeti creature!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC