8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blackpool Sunday Meet up? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Blackpool Sunday Meet up?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 16, 2018 06:08 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projections will start at 10am, tomorrow, David 😉

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 18, 2018 10:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photos/video.. anything of the convention to post on the forum?

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 02:00 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I hope you took a forum photo - I must sincerely apologise as I was in the trafalgar suite watching the 16mm show and it was great - sorry everyone.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 05:23 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope we are going to get a little write up and a few pictures soonish.

Be nice to see how it went.

Best Mark.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 07:55 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a real treat to see so many forum people in the flesh, what a smashing bunch of people! I only made it on the Sunday for the dealer's room, there was an astonishing amount of 16mm available with prices from just £25, - I saw armfuls of prints being eagerly snatched up but I thought the 8mm gauge was lacking with CHC being the only ones with anything to sell. The Bring and Buy was stocked up well, I made a couple of exciting purchases and sold a ton of stuff too. I didn't make the auction as I had to go take the kids to the funfair, but I did make the group photo, hopefully it'll be posted on here soon, if it's possible to squeeze so many collectors into 500 pixels.

The only downside on the weekend was David's very sad announcement at the end of Sunday. I am not sure it's my place to elucidate further but needless to say there were a few tears, and next year's event will be a very different beast.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just told about the announcement Stuart, but I was hoping to goodness it was wrong.

Sadly it might not be, but I won`t say more either.

Best Mark.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I david guest would like to thank every one who attended my film fairover the week end and a special thanks to jo shorty who flew 1000s of miles and dominque and the excellent guys from Norway yet people live only miles away and never come .a very special thanks to my dedicated team who spent all there time helping without these guys the show would not go on so thanks paul simon and mark and bob for all your help .the venue is booked for next year similar dates and deposit paid .the auction was very good lasted 2 hours with over 300 super 8 films and first time ever some 35mm as well next years film fair will be run now by my sons they wont have films to sell but everything else will be the same bring and buy auction and film shows . as you all know I did have an operation on the 11th sept and was doing fine then 10 days later I started to get out of breath and always tired .the doctor put me on antibiotics to cure this but that did no good it was only 9 days before blackpool I had my scan and was told I have 3 months to live .I am having an open day at my home on the 9th dec at 10.30 am where there will be films galore and and projecters at bargain prices I have car parking spaces for at least 80 cars tea and coffee will be served every one welcome my address is
homefield
moss lane
burscough
l40 4at
I don't know how I managed to tell everyone at blackpool but I did god bless you all and thanks for all those who have bought films of me signed david guest

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 11:28 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent David a message - But as a member of the film community on the forum - it was a great event, very well organised and so great to meet new friends and to watch some great film shows - long may this event continue.

Thank you David Guest a True Showman

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
now that David has made his anouncement i would just like to add the following. i have known David for over 25 years in which time we became very good friends. he has done so much for the hobby and has supplied many of you with fine 16mm titles. he took over the Blackpool convention to allow us to enjoy and extend our hobby. as we have always said, those that did not attend really did not realise what they were missing. he made it a fabulous event for us all. i and the regular helpers will be there again next year. i will miss David so so much. but in the meantime i will be with him at his open day in december where once again we can meet up with our collector friends. so thank you MR David Guest.thank you for being a great great friend. Paul Barker.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly feel all over the place and unsettled at this tragic news. I almost don`t know what or how to feel.

David is such a mainstay of the hobby, and part of so many peoples lives, and filmie connections etc.

Thats a gap I just can`t see anyone else filling like that.

I am so very sorry David, we`ve never met in person, but you`ve been very kind, and a good friend too and our phone chats etc.

Best wishes and my thoughts, to you and all your family. Mark.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How very sad. I have never met David, but as a result of this forum we all know that he is an enormously important figure in the film collecting world. Everyone here, whether they have been to Blackpool or not, or met David or not, owes David a huge thank you for fielding this UK event, with true showmanship flare, every year.
Thank you David and God Bless You.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known David properly since about 2000-2001. In those years he has become a friend, someone to laugh with, someone to talk film & projectors with...a decent bloke all-round. Without him, Blackpool would be a thing of the past. His passion, devotion and organisation have kept it all going. I am totally gutted and still unable to think straight. This weekend, we saw the human side of this hobby; people's offers of help, care and genuine love. That's why I'll never forget this edition of the fair.

However, the Open Day is going to be a must for me to attend. David...you are the best.

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 01:29 PM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you david for this year and all the other years you have made a lot of people happy over the years and i am certainly one off them and also as a personal friend

--------------------
kinema king

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 01:31 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got home about an hour ago and downloaded a few photos. Here's the one I took of the meet up in the foyer of the Grand Hotel. It does look a bit less sharp with only 550 pixels width, there were a lot of us and I'm not in this one though I'm sure there will be more posted as many more taken.
 -

Despite the news he had to give later David was still "selling" the Convention, see the programme fronts we are holding.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not easy to comment such a tragic new. There is no doubt that David Guest has made wonders. If so many people attend the event he organizes, there must be a reason. I have jumped into the Blackpool film convention three years ago and my only regret is that I didn't go before. Thanks a lot for everything, David, we are all aware that behind the success of your yearly event there is a lot of work and passion.

Here is the picture I took during the "forum meeting" but, please, note that this is ot the official photo (which was taken by a non-member for a member but I don't know who). I'm just posting my "version" to give a general idea of that moment. I suggest that when the official picture will be posted, everyone identify himself. I post some other pictures in another thread.

-

--------------------
Dominique

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 04:01 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never in the whole wide world did i expect this david, so very very sorry for you and all your family. had many pleasant transactions with you, and excellent prints.best regards.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 07:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible news David, so sorry to hear that.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 05:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really sorry to hear that David, best wishes to you and your family, Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 06:45 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news, but how brave to carry on to make sure the event was a success and ensure the enjoyment of others. Also to make that announcement publicly. I doubt there was a dry eye in the house.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 08:18 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, We've never met but I've followed your posts and the Blackpool fair with great interest. I was very shocked to read your announcement and can only hope that you will be spared any pain associated with your condition. Enjoy each day as it comes knowing you've served many and been a great encouragement to more than one newbie to the hobby. Very best wishes. Dave

--------------------
Dave

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 09:34 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Like everyone I am very sad and shocked to hear of your news. Thank you so much for everything that you have achieved regarding the continuation of the Blackpool Convention. I for one can appreciate all of the hard work that goes into this

Kindest Regards Always

Gary Brocklehurst (ex Derann)

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 03:00 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had the pleasure of meeting David, though I have bought films from him, and I'd just like to add my voice to the shocked and sad responses here. Awful news.

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so here's my picture... I think everyone is on it.

-

I've numbered everyone so you can say who you are if you wish. I'm number 5 at the back. Nice to meet everyone!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 20, 2018 05:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm number 14 (unlike someone who claimed : "I'm not a number, I'm a free Man" 😀)

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2018 05:44 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm number 2, not a good number in the series you referred to Dominique.
[Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC