8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » New Owner of a Pathe Baby (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Owner of a Pathe Baby
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 10, 2013 10:31 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally pumped! I'm about to join the 9.5mm group. I just bought a Baby Pathex with a few films. I should be getting it in about a week. I've always been curious about 9.5mm and the idea of a hand-cranked projector is fantastic. The Baby Pathex is a thing of beauty and a wonderful piece of cinema history.

I'll post a picture when it arrives [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 11, 2013 09:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome in the 9,5 mm world, Janice !

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 11, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, welcome to the wonderful world of 9.5mm. I also have a Pathe Baby, and it is a wonderful machine.
I highly recommend a few hours of Grahame Newnham's awesome website:
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 19, 2013 03:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get it, Janice ?

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 19, 2013 02:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No... it hasn't been mailed yet. I'm getting anxious too.

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 20, 2013 03:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that everything will be allright !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 20, 2013 10:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it's being shipped tomorrow. Should have it in 3-4 days.

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 21, 2013 05:44 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is! It came with 10 films. I think most are home movies from 1927. Some say Yosemite and a couple are labeled Ventura, CA. Two of the reels are a larger size reel ... one is labeled "The Allied Forces of the World War".

I don't know if the projector works. I need to do more research on how to use it. The power cord looks very worn. But...Just looking at the projector ... it is amazing.

-

[ August 24, 2013, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 07:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, your baby looks in great shape. When your ready to get rid of that lethal resistance in the base of the projector, and convert to modern 12 volt halogen lighting, lets talk.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 11:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waw. Looks in very good condition. You even have the Pathe Baby "tablecloth" (I don't know how it's called in English). The use is quiete easy, I am sure you will find the way to use it from the first time. Enjoy !

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice looking machine Janice, and the WW1 film sounds interesting.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 26, 2013 10:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Pathe Baby is in remarkable shape for it's age. However the shutter is swollen, cracked, and frozen and a circular metal part appears bent, but maybe it's suppose to be like that. I read in other posts that the shutter is a common problem with the baby [Frown] So where can I get a replacement?

-

@Paul...I will also want to replace the lamp as you suggest...but first need to get the wheels turning on this little beauty.

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 12:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I will be back in Belgium on Friday. If nobody has replied to you before, I will copy and paste a link (which I cannot do from my mobile phone).

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 27, 2013 12:06 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominigue. I'm heading down to Los Angeles again on Friday for a couple of weeks with my kids, but I still will be keeping up on the forum and my email. I'm hoping with a little TLC this baby will be up and running again [Smile]

[ August 27, 2013, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, congrats on an outstanding purchase. When you get down the road a bit, I'm curious what those movies look like for their age! Plus I'm sure Ventura looked a LOT different in 1927 than now, that's got to have historical value. Nice find.

[ August 27, 2013, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Bill Brandenstein ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 06:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, when I first got my Pathe Baby a few years ago, nothing moved. It obviously had not been used in decades. But a cleaning and lube solved eveything, and it was soon up and running like a brand new machine. Use light machine oil on all the bearings, cam, cam shaft, worm gear etc. Pathe recommended lubing all the moving parts with one drop of oil "occasionally".
I have the original Pathex instruction manual if you need a copy of anything.
Replacement shutters, made of brass, are made in the UK. Contact Ken Valentine:

Ken Valentine Photographic Repairs, 111 Elstree Road, Bushey, Herts, WD23 4EG. Tel: 020 8421 8817
Rubber drive belts for various projectors. Also repairs and lamp upgrades to many 9.5mm projectors

One of the coolest things you will ever see anywhere in the cine world is a motorized Pathe Baby running a notched title film. Its uncanny how perfectly the system works, stopping flawlessly on that 2 frames of still title with a little thunk, and then pausing for several seconds, before re-engaging the mechanism for continous running.
Unbelievably cool! [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 02:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, as Paul said one of the caracteristics of the Pathé Baby system is that the projector stops eache time there is a notch. So if you try your projector without film, don't be surprise if it stays on the still projection mode, this is because the small moving part in the film gate reacts like if there was a notch.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2013 12:17 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul and Dominique... Should I take it that Ken Valentine is the only supplier for the shutter? Have either of you bought one from him and installed it? What did it cost?

As far as the frame stopping you both mentioned...since I can't get the shutter to turn (I did try to load some film)I don't grasp what you are describing. Maybe once I replace the shutter it will become clearer to me.

I did oil the machine as recommended... that's when I discovered the problem with the shutter which was the reason the large crank wouldn't turn. Everything else looks super clean and the rewind crank works fine.

Paul...I downloaded a manual from the link on the 8mmForum site. Does your manual differ?

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, here is a thread from Ron Ashton in the UK who also makes Baby shutters:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000051#000000

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 28, 2013 06:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super Paul. I like that Ron has an email address [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 29, 2013 05:12 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got in touch with Ron and my new flywheel shutter should be on it's way shortly. Ron is a super great guy and quite the Pathe enthusiust. The shutter will come with complete installation instructions and he's available to help me out if I run into problems.

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 06:09 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still do not congratulated for the purchase, janice, despite the common issues, it looks nice!
Long live the 9.5 mm! [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 29, 2013 10:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Luigi.

--------------------
Janice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 31, 2013 02:01 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news, Janice.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC