8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Saturday's BFCC (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saturday's BFCC
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another superb day; healthy crowds (Though John will confirm) lots of film, great banter, superb shows and new toilets! Those old bogs were vile, whereas the new ones were so good, you could have eaten dinner in there! I bought more at this event than I think I've ever done before. A Super 8 Star Wars 400' version I got for £500 (though I got him down from £1000) and a GS1200 for just over half a million. I think good deals all round!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there was me wondering who the chap was with the cheese and pickle in trap 2.

So you met Ian as well-£500 of course his best cash price [Big Grin]

Me? I had to cut it short because of work but hey I came away with something that will certainly have reduced my marriage

Thanks to al for a great show

--------------------
Tony

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 01:18 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great day for me too! My rucksack was full of items and it was nice to see Keith, John and all the other collectors once again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 03:17 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great day. Nice to see a great turnout.

Lets hope we can find a new venue after next March. It would be terrible if it had to come to an end.

Thanks Keith and John.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 03:20 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers to Keith,John etc for a really superb event!!

I especially enjoyed the 35MM Trailer show and the last reel of THE ITALIAN JOB,it was great to see it up on the huge widescreen
again.

It was also great to meet up with other forum members such as the two mike's,mal brake and Brian Hendal all the way from the big apple!!! thanks also to David Pannel for the early morning lift from Horsham.

Picked up lots of bargain too,Uncle Ian's credit crunch sale was a belter with super 8 features from ten quid!!! christmas came early for me!!!

The lads @ derann also had some real bargains for sale,picked up some great trailers,its always great to meet Gary and Ged again.

Gary was on top form,keep the jokes coming mate!!!

Roll on March 20th 2010!!!!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be definitely there in March! Can't miss it once again.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 08:15 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great show courtesy of Wilton and Clancy Cine Enterprises! I could only be there for the morning but still managed to bag a few bargains, catch up with all the old suspects and watch the first show of the day - it's always good to see Super 8 on that super big screen!

It was particularly nice to catch up with Mal, it was a happy surprise to see you there Mal, and good to see you looking so well after the trials of the last year!

Looking forward to the spring show now, I only hope that a new venue can be found to keep the BFCC going for a few more years...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 08:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what was the big announcement about the future of the BFCC?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 09:24 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same, Paul.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 10:19 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again a million thanks to all the organisers, especially Keith and John. A good time was definitely had by all - and yes - it was a good turnout.

THE FUTURE OF THE BFCC

Both prior to, and since, Keith's announcement, I have been giving the subject some serious thought; and very briefly voiced these to Mark Williams and Kev Clarke.

Basically, I was wondering - and this may come as a bit of a bombshell - but think about it for a moment; how about a venue in the Gatwick area?

There are many hotels with suitable conference centres and also several large community centres and assembly halls which would have just the type of accommodation we require. Added to which, the prices are very reasonable and tend to be in the hundreds, rather than in the thousands - as we heard yesterday.

Further, it would be just as easy for our foreign membership to attend, simply flying to Gatwick instead of Heathrow. Having said that, I know that there is a large number of members and visitors who come from the London area, but conversely, there is also a large number who come from much farther afield, where Gatwick would mean very little difference, and in many cases much easier. The London contingent could avail themselves of the Gatwick Express with little difficulty.

Please give this some thought. Clearly it would be extremely convenient for those of the Sussex brigade, and it might just sound a little selfish, but I can assure you that this is not the motive behind the suggestion. It's just that the Gatwick/Crawley area has a lot to offer in terms of our requirements, is really pretty central and accessible by today's standards, and I am sure that the Sussex contingent would be pleased to look further into any possibilities on behalf of our wonderful cause.

It would be a great pity to lose it now!

SLIGHT CHANGE OF SUBJECT

Today I collected my other two Ampros from Dave Whistler down in Wiltshire. He mentioned that he had visited the BFCC website and was intrigued to note the NASA item shown yesterday. It turns out that he has some original NASA footage in the form of several shorts from Edwards Air Force Base, and has offered to bring them to the next BFCC and show them, if there is sufficient interest!!! How's that for a bit of networking and promoting the BFCC even more.

Once again, best to everyone. It makes one proud to be a member.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a good time on Saturday as well picking up quite a few 400 footers from Perry's,Got the two Bond extracts from CHC and a few more bargains from Derann,a nice scope lens and feature from Buckingham.Looking forward to the next one,well done to everyone involved....Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read about the BFCC I feel so sad if I think I did not have any possibility, once again and for several reasons, to be there. I like the way you all inject enthusiasm into other members.

I will be there in March, trust me. So David, Mark, John, Kevin: just keep us informed. I WANT to be there next year. I will walk to there, if necessary! Thanks for telling us all news and ideas about future location/s. Really.

John: I do want to thank you once more for all info you have passed to me to get there. I did appreciate. Hope you don't think your time has been wasted.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what exactly was Keith's announcement? Are they asking for suggestions for a new venue location? If so my vote would be for Henley-on-Thames - gorgeous location, only 30 mins from Keith's house, and a hall there would probably be pretty cheap- maybe even the Kenton Theater could be had.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 12:22 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd been leaking the things that were to be announced for a while in the hope it would encourage people to make the effort to attend and judging by the good crowd yesterday this must have been successful.

To summarize:
1) The BFCC currently has one definite event remaining - March 20th, 2010.

2) Moving out of the Ealing area is not possible owing to the amount of equipment Keith has to transport (believe me, unless you've seen it all being packed into the cars at the end of the day you won't understand). And also, Keith's in his 70's now so we can't expect him to be running around like us whippersnappers!

3) Keith will be looking for a new venue for an annual BFCC but this will no doubt be on a smaller scale. My personal opinion is the best hope is the Town Hall come to an agreement on the Queens Hall downstairs. This was the hall people used to complain about because it was along the corridor and down the stairs. The restaurant will cost £1000 to hire for the day so that's out, hopefully the Liz Cantell room will be viable and dealers will have to book early to be guaranteed a space (i.e. first come, first served).

Final point, the former Northfields Odeon (aka the Top Hat Club) declined having the BFCC again. I think they're too busy with the 'happy clappy' religious nonsense that is doing so well now in the UK.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 12:36 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(John I wrote this before you submitted your report but have left it in anyway)

Well Paul, Keiths annoucement exactly was that next year the price is going up for Ealing town hall because the 70% discount for socities like ours is being removed unless it is a genuine charity. Anyway the price is going to be £3600 from next year. Keith did a lot of haggling and managed to get the price down to £1500 for the spring event, still more then this event (which I think was £1200). Keith was told that after this spring event he would have to pay the full £3600 which is out of question. Keith did work out that he could do it if everybody paid £20 to come in but dosent think enough people would come so after next springs event WE WILL have to find another venue.

As for the new venue Keith has given it some thought and wants to find the right venue with enough parking and a big enough cinema with proper blackouts etc. He dosent want to go to any old shabby school or church hall, although they would be cheap. He wants to find the right venue and this, he said, would take time.

So the big news he gave out is THERE WILL ONLY BE ONE BFCC NEXT YEAR (spring). [Frown]

But Keith hasnt given up hope or retaining Ealing if he can convince the council to allow local people to hire it at the old price. And by next June the tories (conservatives) could be in power!!

Graham S

Enough of this doom and gloom, some pictures
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
 -
 -

[ October 18, 2009, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Graham Sinden ]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 02:02 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A better summary than mine Graham! I spoke to Keith this evening and we both feel the Queens Hall could be a goer - depends on the cost though.

I've slapped the piccies up on the web site but I'd like to get captions in for our overseas visitors from Italy and Greece (but this time I'd like to get them right!!!) so please let me have your names chaps from left to right in the relevant images.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 02:10 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 02:11 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pictures John.

Everyone go strait to them HERE

Graham S

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once more trust me: in March I will be there, John and Graham! Wonderful pictures!

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pics John, now the names of the Greeks (left to right):George Tsakonas, Takis Karayannis,myself(who came from Brum!)and Vangelis Proios. You'll see us all in March again-plus one more junior Greek mafia member maybe?- [Smile]

--------------------
Yannis

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 09:41 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it as usual and was delighted to see another good crowd. Many thanks to Keith and John, and additional thanks to John and Susie for generously supplying refreshments at the 1pm gathering of Forum members.

This isn't a criticism but I was hoping to see the recently released animated shorts from CHC in the new releases show, so I wondered - considering the lack of new releases nowadays - if there was any particular reason why they were not included?

Must admit that I didn't buy a single film - probably the first time this has ever happened to me - not because of any lack of inclination or lack of films on offer, it was simply that nothing I wanted came to light. Unfortunately I didn't check out the Derann stand as I was late getting there and found an empty table about 3.20pm.

Regarding the likely need for a new venue, I wondered if other former venues such as the Waterman's Centre or Conway Hall might be worth considering, or are they too far from Ealing? Incidentally, doesn't Keiths house contain three screens, so why not forget the transportation and we'll all go there! [Wink]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 01:48 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, does that make me wish i could go to one.....Looks like it would have been a blast....Thanks for posting those pictures....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 03:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note everyone, there are two pages of photographs on the site so look for 'Next Page' at the base of page 1. Only half the sessions on the site are looking at page 2 so I know a lot of you are missing out.

Keith will be checking every possibility Adrian. We have already discussed every previous venue but no double we'll go through them again.

The new cartoons from Classic - I can't remember the exact reasons but I believe they were too long for entire inclusion which would have meant cutting a new print which isn't possible now such few sales of a new release. We may be able to get them in next time.

Let's hope Osi's advert reel finally shows up with the lab and we have those to screen at the last picture show in the Victoria Hall.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 19, 2009 03:44 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi,

If they show your film you'll have to show up!!!

[Smile]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 04:17 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's me 3rd picture down with my hand on a film in the rugby shirt! Caught unawares. Enjoyed the day, bought a CIR splicer from Derann and various bits of super 8.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC