8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig S802D possible problem...again.... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eumig S802D possible problem...again....
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 07:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ilias
Sorry to read of your Eumig trials but hopefully this may be of help.

I’ve loved the 800 range since the 1970’s when they were originally introduced and spent many happy hours next to one of these machines. The red button (recording switch) does act up on them due to the rather tiny/poor contacts on the amplifier board which are located at the other end of the red buttons cable. To do a simple clean of these contacts is easy and you will not have to take the machine to pieces.

Basic switch contact clean/test
Turn the main control switch to reverse without lamp on
Keep the volume setting very low but not off
Then push the red switch in and out rapidly
The switch will not stop in but it will move any dirt which may be on the contacts

If you have the volume up just a little you will be able to hear any severe bangs of audio problems which may suggest a fault further on.

How to lower the audio hum from a Eumig 800 model
Just below or off to one side of the sound head you will see two copper wound rings. These coils when moved slowly into different positions in a nutshell lower the audio hum you may sometimes hear coming out of the machine. To reduce hum carry out the following.

With the lamphouse cover removed and projector turned on & lamp, turn the volume control all the way up.
You will no doubt hear some hum from the projectors speaker.
Locate the two coils explained above
One is for Standard 8 and the other Super 8.
SLOWLY move one coil until you find out which one is for Super 8
The hum will lower of increase depending where you move the coil.
Once set you will never need to do it again.

Looked after Eumig 800 series machines generally seem to last nearly forever and certainly mine are still going strong. Avoid cement splices as any cement overspill is abrasive to the sound head as it passes.

If we were in the same country I would say bring it round to save another Eumig! Hope the above helps.

|  IP: Logged

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 08:22 AM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the detailed reply Lee,

i'm definetely not going to quit so easily on it, i love messing with electronics in general, and fixing this projector has been quite a challenge for me. Not to mention how many things i've learned about projectors all these days while trying to fix this eumig [Wink]

i'm definetely going to try the process you described, some of the things you mentioned (like cleaning the contacts or even re-soldering them) I had already planned to do, I was even thinking to do a capacitor replacement on the sound board if I can remove it easily.

Hopefully i'll have the time to mess with it later tonight and will update the thread here...

btw, since you seem to know your way on eumig projectors, if you have some time please check the other thread i've opened about a S810D HQS I found, maybe you can also help there [Wink]

cheers
ilias

Ilias Sifakis
Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Ilias Sifakis   Email Ilias Sifakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, fixed the sound problem also!

Thanks again Lee for the tips, your suggestions helped me also!

Now everything is good with this eumig.... [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC