8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector runs too slow (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Projector runs too slow
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 09:44 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Winbert!

The problem is that I am on a very tight budget, so I just sent John a mail asking for his opinion on it [Smile]

If it's "unfixable" without repair, then I might sell it as a repair object.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 08, 2009 12:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes sure Christian, I understood, that is why I suggest you with cheap (but affordable) projector. Asking John will only give the same answers like we have here. And if we have a limitation on technical things it is not useful.

I am a kind of tight budget projectionist too ... [Big Grin]

Good luck [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, hopefully he will answer my mail tommorrow, and then if he has nothing new to add I'm gonna try sanding the wheel and discs.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 06:45 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John answered my mail now:
Hi Christian, you need to clean the rubber drive discs lubricate the shutter cam plus you could adjust the speed control assembly try this.

Regards,
John

---

So my question now is:
How/where do I adjust the speed control assembly?
How/where do I lubricate the shutter cam?

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 07:57 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

"How/where do I adjust the speed control assembly?"

At the risk of repeating myself, try looking at earlier posts!

" posted November 06, 2009 12:50 PM
Christian, If you really have tried all the simple suggestions others have posted for you ,try lubing the machine as previously suggested.If that doesn't cure it the only logical conclusion is that the basic speed range setting of your machine has slipped out of adjustment, and the machine's speed range needs to be set up properly.
Read Tim Christian's posts in this thread...
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001471# 000013
which includes the extract I copied in one of my posts. The information is explicit and detailed IF you have not tried the full reset as he describes, then perhaps you should do it?
If you have ignored it because it looks too complicated or difficult, then seek the aid of a good mechanical hobbyist."

John appears to have repeated the advice you have been given before on this very lengthy thread. If the problem is you simply do not feel capable of carrying out any of the suggestions, then I repeat the advice of consulting a good mechanical hobbyist; none of this is total rocket science.
However, the machine would simply not be worth the attentions of a professional repairer.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, but what type of lube should I use? And where? At all the points where i can see grease?

Will CRC 8201 spray work?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 09, 2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

I have been checking again your youtube (Star Wars) and although the movement is normal but the sound is low. It is quite strange for me.

I did an experiment last night with my Chinon by fine adjusting the speed and it showed that when sound became slow then the picture was also slowing down. It was very noticeable.

(Although this may not relate to your case) In DJ gears, there is a feature to change the CD speed and it (as a normal turntable) will change the pitch (key). But another new feature is to change the pitch/key while keeping the speed.

Do you think this what happen to your projector? (I don't think so, because that DJ gears must involve digital data).

BTW, have you ever seen the Karaoke machine? this machine can also change the pitch/key without changing the speed. So if you have a minus one music which the music is to low for your voice then you can increase the key without making the music faster.

So, this is my cheap solution (combining the old tech with the new one), you can use this feature from Karaoke machine by hooking up the output sound from your projector and increase the pitch/key from that machine.

I think you can download the software freely in the internet.

what do you think?
[Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Winbert! Being a musician and audio technician for six years I know very well what pitch adjustment is [Wink]

The problem is however the fps in general. I played the Star Wars reel with my computer playing the DVD next to it, and the difference was noticeable.

I will do some more testing tonight, I'll bring my projector home from my fiancee's place (where I have it now) and back home where I have a wider selection of tools and materials, and I will begin a full rinse and clean, and I will lubricate the machine, sand the drive discs and wheel, and reset the speed adjustment, which should make the projector "as good as new".

Hopefully it will fix my problem.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 09, 2009 10:49 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

My last advice, see this Ebay auction:

Silma Sound Projector

If no one bids than it will be GBP 4.99. Hopefully no one is attracted with this because of the sound problem. But you are an audio technician, maybe you can fix it.

The most simple problem for "no-sound problem" is that people forget to re-attach the speaker wire after opening the back cover.

Second simple problem is the amplifier's fuse has blown out. But the most complex problem is of course the amplifier has burnt out because of short circuit. But if you know how to find the sound output wire from the projector's magnetic head, then you hook this up with your external amplifier and ...voila.... you have your own home theatre with terrific sound coming from external speakers!!

[Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 11:39 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice find there, Winbert [Big Grin]

If I can't manage to fix the one I have then I'll definately have a look at it. If it's problems as simple as the ones you are mentioning then it's no problem for me to fix.

It's when it gets down to mechanical issues that I begin having problems [Wink]

Anywho, taking the projector home with me tonight to let my dad have a look at it, he's pretty good with machinery, otherwise I'll let my neighbour take a look at it as he's an electrician.

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,
Caution! The sound doesn't work... so how sure can you be that it also doesn't have other problems, such as speed?
After all, it was the sound that alerted you to a speed problem on the one you have. "Fully working apart from the sound" is no REAL description at all. (And shipping to Norway could be high)

Martin

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2009 12:46 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've thought of that aswell.

A new thing occured to me last night after reading the thread you linked over and over.

My screening rdom is cold, really cold. The window is leaking, and there's a vent that can't be closed, making it quite chilly in there during winter time (at this very moment it is below zero).

Anyway, this can cause the grease to harden/stiffen, making the machine slower, at least that's what my father told me. Unless you use grease that is designed for low temperatures, the grease will turn rather "gluey" if too cold.

So I'm currently "heating up" the projector by setting it to "Forward" without using the lamp, and having a heating fan blowing straight to the machinery. Hopefully this will heat up the grease and machinery enough to help at least abit.

Will get back to you with results.

--------------------

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2009 04:32 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian
The motor pivots are moulded in plastic so they must be in good condition to maintain pressure between the pinion & rubber drive plate.
You can see the outer pivot easily once the cover is off.
This mounting can also be adjusted to get maximum speed by loosening the outer motor pivot screws & sliding it within its range of travel. Its on an eccentric mounting to allow for adjustment.
You will find it will increase or decrease the driven speed according to where the pinion is located on the drive plate. It has to be exactly in the right place or it will run slow.
Make sure its all bone dry by spraying with evaporative cleaner & a light sanding of the rubber surface to remove any shiny rings where the pinion runs on the rubber.
So try adusting the pivot mounting to the fastest you can get.
Do it while its running. It might take a while to find the spot.
Make sure it doesn't need lubrication at the intermittent camgroove & shuttershaft bearings & other points needing oil.

Let us know if you have success. [Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

Re Silma projector (which is until now still GBP 4.99) actually you can ask the seller to check the sound through earphone output. If he hook up the earphone/headphone to the outlet and he can hear the sound, it means the amplifier is OK.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will do!

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then he will withdraw the Auction and re-list it at an inflated price!
Martin

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then he will withdraw the Auction and re-list it at an inflated price!
Ha...ha....ha Martin, that exactly what I was thinking about.

But who knows.... it is like a gamble.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC