8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sad News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad News
Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's with great sadness that I have to report the passing away of my good friend
and colleague Arthur Roberts who died on the 12/01/07 in Guys Hospital
London.
I had known Arthur for 36 years and worked with him for 25 of those years in
which were probably the happiest working years of my life.
For those who remember him at the shop in Isleworth, he was often mistaken as
my father, not only was he a great film technician but also a great family friend
and became to be known as "Uncle Arthur" to my children.
Arthur was born in 1927 and after a spell in the R.A.F. joined the film industry
working for Technicolour and aspiring to head of defects control on the 3 strip
colour process.
After leaving Technicolour he joined Colour Film Services at Perivale West
London as a printing technician, from there he went onto Universal film
Laboratory were he was instrumental in setting up the lab.
He joined me at Cine Reproductions in the early seventies and in 1981 we
brought the company outright. In 1986 after many years of servicing Perrys
Movies laboratory requirements we took over Perrys and opened a retail shop
with the film laboratory at Isleworth in West London.
Arthur was one of the best technicians I have ever known, having a great love
and understanding of Super 8. He was always a steadying influence on me when
I got carried away or suggested ways of increasing sales.
Arthur retired in 1996 and moved down to Verwood in Dorset where he pursued
his love of walking and exploring the Dorset countryside.
R.I.P. Arthur you will be sadly missed.

Ian

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Arthur, I didn't know him or even, I have to say know of him - but clearly he was a good friend of yours and a big man in the 8mm world. I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 04:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,I was sad to hear of the death of your Uncle Arthur.Please extend my symptny to all who knew him.Andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 13, 2007 04:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news indeed Ian. I think that short potted history makes for a nice tribute to Arthur.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2007 10:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a yank, I never knew much of this gentleman, but anybody who had a hand in the perfection of super 8 film-making gets a hearty "Hoorah" from me.

Best regards Ian.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2007 11:59 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,
Tania and myself are both deeply saddened to here of dear old Arthur's passing. He was a true gentleman and a really lovely man. We were talking only the other day about the happy times we had in the Isleworth and Rayners Lane shops with you Arthur and Heather. Somehow a quick visit would last all afternoon and it was always a great time with lots fun and laughs. He was a true craftsman, being able to produce great prints from sometimes less than perfect original material, with his clever use of colour filters and his skills with the optical printer, however this had to be expected from someone who had worked at Technicolor labs and had helped to produce some of the classic prints from the cinemas golden age. I remember you both showing me some "before and afters" and the difference was stunning. With Arthur's passing a wealth of skill and knowledge has passed with him. He was part of that virtually unknown elite who made what we see on our screens look as good as it does and I consider it an honour and a privilege to have known him.
God bless Arthur. R.I.P.

[ January 14, 2007, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Paul Spinks ]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a shame about Arthur, as all of us who have worked in the 'Industry' got to know him, and I know that he has been retired for a few years, but when talking about "Perry's Movies" Arthur always seemed to crop up in the conversation, he will be missed.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 03:10 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
My condolences and sympathy. Very sad news indeed.I can only echo all that has been said above. Arthur will no doubt be having many conversations with that other great man of Super 8 - "Uncle Derek", in that great cinema in the sky. Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 14, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am truly sorry, a fine collector I'm sure, someone I never knew but still consider a friend - Shorty

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God Speed My Dear Fellow.... God Speed !

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian
This may sound like common place but I am most distressed with the sad news about my good friend Arthur. As you well know, on my frequent visits to London, I was found the time to drop by
the Isleworth shop and spend a few hours there with you and Arthur, who had the patience to show me around and explain me all the ins and outs of his work and equipment. After his retirement, whenever I called you, I would always asked you about him, as you may recall. I will always remember him as a very, very nice person, who will be sadly missed.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2007 03:29 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

On behalf of Derann, please accept our sincere condolences at this very sad time. Our memories of Arthur are those of a perfect gentleman. R.I.P. my friend

Gary

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 15, 2007 03:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our dear Ian. We were saddened to read the news of Arthur and our thoughts are with you all at this time. He was one of the good guys and my fondest memories were of filming him for the Cinema in Miniature documentary film you later released on super 8mm. Arthur was one of those chaps you just had to like, and he always found time to chat with film fans and was warm hearted.
The world was a better place with Arthur in it and he will be fondly remembered by many and most certainly here.
Much Love Lee & Val.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 20, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember very well the time I hunted out Perrys shop in Isleworth in the late 80s. Peering through the window full of excitement I saw Arthur inside and rushed in all expectantly, my first trip to an actual cine shop.
I remeber well standing there twittering on and on about cine and Arthur happily chatting away with me and telling me interesting little bits of info etc and made the whole experiance very nice indeed.
He was one of those people who just had something nice inside, and gave off a pleasantness and and warm kindness when he talked to you and I who usually have a poor memeory have very fond clear memories of that day and the nice rosie and enthused feeling I had when I left the shop and walked along.
Its really sad he has left us but its nice that there will no doubt be lots of happy fond memories with people who knew and spent time with Arthur going on for a long, long, time.
God Bless and very best wishes to Arthurs family.
Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC