8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Splicing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Splicing
Chad Shumaker
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2013 11:41 PM      Profile for Chad Shumaker   Email Chad Shumaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been having trouble as of late with splicing.

I recently posted about a 3x400 of Superman (1978) that I purchased. I spliced it back in June with the standard 1x400 I had previously as the 1 reeler had a few extra scenes the three reeler did not.

When I played it through a few months back all was good. Now two months later the splices are causing problems during projection. 90% of them cause the projector to go into a flutter sometimes for half a second sometimes until I correct it. I have to switch back to thread and then forward to correct it.

What gives? Bad splices? Poorly lubricated film? I cleaned the film path and that helped but not for all these little hiccups.

I used Kodak presstapes (or what were formerly Kodak- these have no name on them). Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2013 01:35 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chad,

It sound like there is one splice near the heads that is off, causing you to lose your bottom loop then, setting of a chain reaction with the other splices. G back and check all of the splices as you clean it with lubrication. Try it again after the lubrication but, it should run okay anyway if the splices look good. Are you using a Eumig?

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2013 04:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you cleaned the film before splicing this could have an effect with the tape adhesive, it may be best to get the cleaner off, re-do it and then clean afterwards,
Many years ago even with the best tape splices the cleaner can cause the tape to slightly slide with the sprocket holes mis-aligning,(or in extreme cases simply coming apart) [Wink]
I have only ever used quick splice tapes, im not familiar with the Kodak ones. We also cut our into halves so the splice only cover two frames and in well over 30 years only ever had to re do a few.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 19, 2013 02:09 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A good precaution is to give both ends of the film a wipe with a tissue dipped in Methylated Spirit,this will degrease the film, then
apply your splicing tape,which will have a good base for the adhesive.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC