8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » wanted for ricoh auto 8p trioscope (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: wanted for ricoh auto 8p trioscope
John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2008 03:42 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be too traumatic for Osi who recently sold one of these, but I have bought a Ricoh Trioscope recently and whilst it mostly seems fine there is a drive wheel which has a rubber tyre (I think we all know where I'm going with this). Well it used to be rubber, it's current state is somewhere between something from the Black Lagoon and what might come out of your nose if you cleaned chimnies for a living. Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting a replacement tyre.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
"what might come out of your nose if you cleaned chimnies" that really made me fall about. Is this a re-badged Eumig?

I have not heard of this machine before. Do you have a pic you could put up here for us to see?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2008 07:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIGH!!!!

If only I'd known this a few days earlier!!!! I just sold an extremely well running projector of this very model. I would have given it to you than have that wretched ebay buyer have it!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAIGH!!!!

(just threw in a "Q" to set everybody off!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 10, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

The Ricoh 88 (very similar to the trioscope) was my first dual 8mm projector. A very nice portable, variable speed machine. I replaced the original recently with a trioscope (pictured) that I picked up on eBay for all of $10.00. It uses a CXR 8 volt, 50 watt bulb.

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 11, 2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Ricoh made these machines themselves or if they were made by someone else. They have a sort of Early Chinon/Prinz Magnon look about them.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 12, 2008 11:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good photo of the projector, Doug. Boy, I don't see what the difference is between the two models though.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Rui Soares da Cunha
Junior

- posted July 15, 2009 08:28 AM      Profile for Rui Soares da Cunha   Email Rui Soares da Cunha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all,
specially Kev:

I bought a Ricoh Auto Trioscope 8p just like the foto, but i have some troubles with him. I wounder if you culd help me: (1) do you know where i can find a manual for him? (2) I found that the lamp is working fine but some how the power didn't get to her. The conections are ok (I opened the projector!). Is the a place where I can find the base bulb?

thanks in advance,

Rui Cunha

--------------------
Rui da Cunha

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2009 06:37 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Posters on this thread.

The Ricoh TriScope came in a few versions. They should be avoided if possible as they can be a disaster to the buyer.
One version has a reasonable shutter drive and can be made a serviceable projector however if you are unlucky enough to have struck the version with the small black tyre that drives the shutterwheel then it will be all dissolved to a black goo & its a waste of time trying to fix them. You can't get the tyres anywhere that I know of so its a waste of time trying to fix them. You will be covered in black rubber goo.
Throw it as far away as you can & start again. I now avoid them and you should too.
If you look under the lamphouse cover, you can determine what type you are have. The motor drive is visible through the lamp area.
dogtor pufferfish

[ September 27, 2012, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: frank arnstein ]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 27, 2012 01:29 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Frank...I wish I had read this thread before I spent several hours trying to clean up and repair a Ricoh Auto 8P Trioscope. This turned out to be the "bad" version of this projector. It IS a piece of junk. [Mad]

[ February 27, 2012, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2012 06:26 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of them [Mad] [Mad] . Take it off my hands for the exact shipping charge - 14 lbs from zip code 10019.

Jon

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 27, 2012 09:36 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Jon....you are too funny [Cool] I got this gem of a projector in a grab bag of stuff...I didn't really need it. I removed the lamp and some screws for spare parts and then dumped the darn thing in the garbage. I've moved on.

--------------------
Janice

David Strachan
Junior

- posted July 23, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for David Strachan   Email David Strachan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just pulled my Ricoh auto 8P trioscope from a cupbord after about 10 years inactivity and also found the drive tyre a mess of black gunge but otherwise okay. Rather than dispose of it I made a new tyre from a strip of 5.5 mm thick rubber sheet and after cleaning off the old gunge stuck on the new one with super glue and it now works fine.
Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on the manual and would appreciate it if some one out there could maybe e-mail me a copy

--------------------
Dave

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 01, 2012 02:20 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David...I have that manual... but I will need to scan it. PM me with you email address and I'll send it to you in a day or so.

--------------------
Janice

Dana Cohen
Junior

- posted September 14, 2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Dana Cohen   Email Dana Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Janice
I have a Richo like the one in the photo which I haven't used for some time. I understand that you have a manual for this projector. I will be VERY greatful if you could send me a copy. With many thanks and wishing you a lovely weekend
dana

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 15, 2012 05:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dana...PM me with your email address and I'll send you a link to download the manual.

Janice

--------------------
Janice

Pablo Gauthier
Junior

- posted September 26, 2012 07:12 AM      Profile for Pablo Gauthier   Author's Homepage   Email Pablo Gauthier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

My name is Pablo and I'm from Neuquén, Argentina. I've recently bought a Minolta Autopack 8 D6 and I was given a RICOH AUTO 8P Trioscope projector with it. They told me the lamp worked just fine, and that the fan/cooler (not sure if that's actually a fan/cooler) also worked ok but that something was wrong because the traction chain (don't know if that's the technical name) didn't move.
I've read here you talk about a drive wheel, or shutter wheel, and it's rubber tyre turning into goo, but I'm not entirely sure if that's my problem. I'm also not sure which is the shutter wheel or if I have one part of the projector missing. As you can see, I'm a "Super 8 projector" rookie! So I thought about writting to you, send you some pictures, cross my fingers and wait for an answer. Maybe you find out what's going on, and I can fix it. I don't know anyone in my city that works with this kind of projectors so I'm kind of stuck.
I've found this forum after some hours looking for information about this device. I hope you can please help me! Thanks a lot in advance!

Pablo
www.be.net/pablogauthier/frame

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

I've also recorded a video of the projector turned on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL9DJwI9ebU&feature=youtu.be

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 09:01 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forums Pablo. From what I can see...it looks like the motor belt is missing.

--------------------
Janice

Pablo Gauthier
Junior

- posted September 26, 2012 09:53 AM      Profile for Pablo Gauthier   Author's Homepage   Email Pablo Gauthier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and thanks a lot for your answer Janice. So what I first thought was a fan/cooler (The round white plastic piece) is where the motor belt should be placed? Maybe connected to the metal piece beside it. That would be fixable if I can find a suitable motor belt... Unless that mark in the metal piece is where the famous small black tyre wheel should be (I imagine it as something like this http://elmasriaprint.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/7/8/11788867/2419946_orig.jpg ). In that case I should find a way to replace that missing piece...

-

But I'm just thinking out loud without any technical knowledge... Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 11:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off I want to commend you on geting the back cover off. That's a miracle in itself. It's like breaking into Fort Knox.

I don't have my projector anymore...but, I believe the belt would attach to the pulley to the right of the fan wheel and there should be another pulley above it. Turn the shutter blade by hand and see where a belt needs to connect to turn it with the motor. Then you can see if a belt is available on Ebay...or try and find a suitable o-ring to fit.

Don't spend too much time or money on this projector. Even if you find a belt there are probably other things wrong with it. This model projector is just not that good [Frown]

If you need a instruction manual...pm me.

--------------------
Janice

Pablo Gauthier
Junior

- posted September 26, 2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Pablo Gauthier   Author's Homepage   Email Pablo Gauthier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Janice. Actually, it wasn't such a big deal, I only unscrew five screws and that was it. I'll try to find or create a motor belt replacement like David did. I think it has to be placed here, don't you think so?:

-

Thanks for the advice! I don't want to spend any money on this projector, but I would like to make it work because it's the one I have now. It would be very helpful for a project I'm working on. But if I don't succeed fixing it I will have to get another equipment. Talking about that, what models or brands would you recommend me? So as to keep them in mind when looking for one.

Thanks for your time! It really means a lot.

If I make it work I'll post it here.

Cheers, Pablo.-

ps. Thanks for the manual, but I already have a copy.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 26, 2012 10:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo...If you give us a little description of what you plan to do with the projector...the type of film you will be projecting?...sound or silent?...telecine / transfer to digital?...etc. you'll get a lot of recommendations.

--------------------
Janice

Pablo Gauthier
Junior

- posted September 30, 2012 10:37 AM      Profile for Pablo Gauthier   Author's Homepage   Email Pablo Gauthier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Janice, in first instance I'll be projecting silent super 8, in telecine, but I would also like to know which one would you recommend me for transfer to digital. And a projector for super 8 with sound?

And just for curiosity, Is there a projector capable of projecting from super 8 / standard 8 to 16mm? I mean a wide range of film types.

Thanks again.

Pablo.-

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 30, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have silent film...you do not need a sound projector. I prefer Sankyo projectors for doing realtime telecine transfers. either the Sankyo 1000, Sankyo 1000H or the Sankyo 2000H. They have a nice variable speed rheostat control and a sprocketless film path. They are also dual gauge so you can run both 8mm & Super 8mm. If you need 16mm you will have to get a dedicated 16mm projector.

Here's one setup example using a telecine box where I used a Sankyo 2000H. You may prefer to project onto paper on the wall...but what ever way the Sankyo is a good choice.

-

--------------------
Janice

Pablo Gauthier
Junior

- posted October 01, 2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Pablo Gauthier   Author's Homepage   Email Pablo Gauthier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot Janice! If I can't make this one work I'll try to find one of those! I'm so stubborn...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 01, 2012 05:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with being stubborn Pablo [Smile] If you get the Ricoh working you will feel a great since of accomplishment....and if you don't...you will have learned a lot about projectors in the process. Best of luck!

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC