8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Do you ever find film with VS but still hold colors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you ever find film with VS but still hold colors?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 17, 2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never found myself.

What I found that all color films with VS must have also faded.

Unless you can confirm that you have film with good colors but also got VS, then I will conclude that fade process proceeds to VS.

I am not saying that fading film will get VS eventually. But as long as your film has good color it will not have VS.

Your comment please?

ps: VS will never happen to polyester(mylar)film

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 08:29 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how does one know if they have a polyester(mylar)film?
i have a 16mm print that stinks but the colors have held up perfectly and it is not warped, is it possible that there are cleaners that give off a vs smell?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2011 09:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I find out wat the film base is I snip a couple of inches off the head and try to cement splice it.

-If it works it's acetate.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 10:12 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polyester film doesn't hold a curl like acetate, it will hang almost strait down. Polyester is also much stronger than acetate. There's some good information on Wikipedia comparing the different types of film base:

Film base

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 11:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I have a few hundred feet of 35mm Technicolor film, the worst of which is the most rotten acetate film I've ever seen (or smelled). I think half the base or more has evaporated by now, it cracks and flakes it's so brittle, and it's way way beyond flatness and projectability.

But the color is fine.

My understanding is that over time, both are problems of chemical instability, but are not directly correlated. I also have polyester prints faded to red!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 18, 2011 02:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vinegar is essentially acetic acid. And acetic acid is coming from the break down of acetate film. No relation between support deterioration and colour fading.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started collecting 16mm film, I found a site by Paul Ivester that describes various film stocks and markings, there is also a section on VS and other "enemies" of film.

Film Preservation Basics

At the bottom of the tab to identifying film stocks, you will find this:
quote:
A non-destructive method to tell Polyester (Estar, etc.) from Acetate

One technique is to use crossed polarizers, such as camera filters or 3-D glasses. Overlap the polarizers, and orient them so that they are opaque. Place the film between them. If it is acetate, it will appear opaque. If it is polyester (Estar, etc.) it will depolarize the light, and the area of the film will appear less opaque.

Here is a link to the "Guide to Identifying Color Movie Film Stocks" on the site, it includes many pictures:

http://www.paulivester.com/films/filmstock/guide.htm

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 18, 2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That vinegar syndrome thing is curious to me. I have a 35MM print (I think it is technicolor) of the long trailer of "Yellow Submarine" that was given to me by our own Dino Everette (many thanX yet again for that trailer, Dino!), and though it reeks of vinegar syndrome, the color is spot on and beautiful!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 18, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... and though it reeks of vinegar syndrome, the color is spot on and beautiful!
There is no connection between VS and colour stability to the best of my knowledge.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC