8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid"
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 09, 2015 04:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About three weeks ago I attended the first ever digital screening of "The Kid" in the Theatre Royal in town, with there new projector....it looked good.

The repairs to this building following the earthquake damage is simply stunning, and what better way to watch a screening of "The Immigrant" and "The Kid" than to the live accompaniment of The "Christchurch Symphony Orchestra".

I have never been to anything like this before and was pleased to see the venue was sold out...good support.

The Symphony Orchestra was spot on and sounded great. It was a most enjoyable afternoon.
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 05:19 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghram!in one single word.WHOUNDERFULL.all the old great cinemas in all world should do the same,here in Portugal we also had great cinemas like that one in gold age,but no unfourtanly,they all gone.

best:
luis caramelo

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 06:00 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a fantastic looking place. Treasure it and support it. Too many have let their palaces be destroyed. Trouble is most of us would rather watch on our laptops than go out in the cold. I must admit that I never rated Chaplin until I saw 'The Kid' on a 16mm mint print. His genius shone through. Serve me right for watching too many scratchy old prints!!

--------------------
Dave

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 09, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a strange side effect of digital cinema: you see a lot of revival films you never would have seen back when it was 35mm only.

-what was old is new again!

There is a drive-in theater up in Maine I go to every couple of summers that went over to digital before the last time I was there. They were having showings of Grease and American Graffiti that month: just perfect for a Drive-In.

Of course I would have preferred there be film in the booth, but the fact of the matter is I was the only one out in the field that particularly cared, and one of few that even knew the difference.

[ September 09, 2015, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious -- did they show the original uncut THE KID or Chaplin's later re-edit?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 10, 2015 12:26 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Joseph

I think the rights to screen this movie is done through "Roy Export" if that helps, however there is a music publisher in New York that handles the music contract side of things.

Its interesting to note, that the "Roy Export Company" will only allow the films to be screened with a full symphony score that Chaplin himself composed.

The running time of "The Kid" was 60
minutes hence the addition of the short "The Immigrant"...also played to the approved score.

Graham [Smile]

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2015 09:28 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham. It was probably Chaplin's later re-edit if it was authorized by the Roy Export Company, though they did allow a slightly longer version on the Image DVD about 15 years ago. That version restored a few scenes cut by Chaplin as late as 1971 for a re-release. Those scenes turned up as extras on the MKII/Warner editions.

It gets very complicated with the different versions of Chaplin films. A discussion of that is best left to another thread.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC