8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Alien in Scope! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Alien in Scope!
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 13, 2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished watching Alien in Scope on my wall! Wow..that is one breathtaking print. It makes me feel like I am in the cinema using a 35mm machine. It is THAT good. Then I ran the flat digest version of "Enter the Dragon". There are some things that just look great on the big screen. Bruce Lee in his prime on a big screen..nothing beats it!
What are your favorite movies in scope?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2003 02:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Errrm, Alien actually. I have two prints, one is crap the other is very good. Alien came from a 35mm print so although very good is not quite one of the best. A bit too dense in places but nothing an even brighter lamp sorts out.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2003 04:17 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

my favorite scope movie is Star Trek - Generations. Right not the best star trek movie but the only one in CS and full lengt on 8mm and the print is great.

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 14, 2003 11:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite scope film in S8? No contest. Grease is the word! With a re-recorded stereo sound track this needle sharp print from Derann blows me (and my audiences) away every time.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scope feature film has to be 'Flash Gordon', excellant print, very good [albeit mono] sound and a true camp classic that is thoroughly re-watchable. Plus of course that excellant sound track from Queen.
Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2003 06:22 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Mike, I have a print of Flash Gordon and the quality is mediocre at best. I even have a second copy of reel 2 and that is just the same.

Also, I don't think Star Trek Generations is full length. Anyone else missing the section where Malcolm McDowell says to Picard "I have an appointment with eternity, and I don't want to be late." Mine was purchased new from the original print run so if it's missing on mine it should be missing on all of them. I don't think the print of this is top-notch either. Pretty good but not great.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John,

you are right, the scene with Picard and Dr. Soran is missing, the flat Trailer on 8mm includes this scene. There are two other scenes where short pictures missing (When Picard comes into the canteen to meet Dr. Soran, some scratches are visible). But I think the film is still complete. I know there are other features with some missing frames and scenes (like Thunderball).

My print of Star Trek is very good (good coulor and very sharp) I think it is better than Return of Jedi.

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello john

You must have been unlucky with your copy of 'Flash', mine really is excellant, perhaps it was from the beginning of the run?

I think Kevin Faulkner also has a copy, how's yours Kev'?

Mike.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 15, 2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Flash Gordon Optical?
Hey, how about a list of Super 8 features in Scope?

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2003 04:50 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan

Flash Gordon has magnetic stripe, the sound is very good though mono. I don't mind that, I usually keep the projector switched to mono even when playing stereo films, the sound always seems more 'wholsome' that way.

Great idea about doing a list of scope prints, I think we did it on the old forum but sadly that list will be lost now, time to start again. There was also a list of optical titles on there which I did save if anyone is interested?

Mike.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2003 02:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you what Mike, once the congestion charge is finally abolished and us unfortunate people living within Livingstone's dreaded cordon have our freedom of movement restored I'm going to drive out and see your print of Flash Gordon. If I have reels from two duff prints I'll quite happily get another one. Being as my prints are a bit grainy, soft and not particularly good colour I hardly ever watch them.

I'm actually rather relieved every print of Generations has the missing scene (and a very important scene at that) as when I first pulse sync'd it I thought someone had nicked some footage! We showed it at the BFCC and we've have all sorts of things nicked from us over the years. Thankfully Keith had the film on 35mm so using Keith's last couple of Kodachrome Super 8 sound cartridges filmed the missing section. It didn't come out particularly well but at least the DVD runs all the way through without this major adjustment to maintain sync'.

The best 'Scope prints?
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
The Fall of the Roman Empire
El Cid

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John

You would be very welcome to come and view my copy of Flash any time you fancy making the trip to Worthing [just over an hour by train from Victoria]. I shall have to get it out and watch it again soon anyway!

I have to say that as an x Londoner myself I welcome the congestion charge and only wish it had come sooner. Sorry [Roll Eyes]

Mike. [Wink]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 18, 2003 06:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
Even better come and view my copy of "Flash Gordon" John as it's in full stereo and absolutely stunning in scope along with the stereo soundtrack. It's one of those films which was released on super 8 intact like the DVD so was a doddle to record in stereo. Like mike said earlier it has to be one of the best quality releases on super 8 I have seen. I'm sure it gives 16mm a run for its money.
I will be viewing a 16mm print of this title in the next couple of weeks as a friend has just obtained a copy.
If any one, and that includes you Mike, want it re recorded in stereo from DVD then just drop me a line and I will see what I can do.
Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2003 04:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cor, all the offers to view Super 8 - excellent. Unfortunatly travel from where I live is extremely difficult now as I live within the cordon. A shame as I'd like to see a decent copy of Flash Gordon. I will endeavour to have a look at another one when the opportunity arises just to see if you boys know what you're talking about!!! [Wink]

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the scope Derann print of "Alien" and I think the picture quality is stunning! Definately one of thier best scope releases of the 90's. Unfortunately, the sound track is poor in some areas. Instead of returning the print when I purchased it, I figured I would just re-record it from DVD later, only to find out (two years later) that the stripe was bad on some parts of the print. I still show it though, and it isn't all that noticeable to the average viewer (any collector would detect the problem though). I did purchase this print when Derann was experiencing sound striping problems, but these have all been resolved now and nothing purchased in the past couple of years has had this problem.

Another great scope release is "The Abyss". The underwater scenes are breath-taking in scope. The stereo sound is also very good. Some of the interior submarine scenes are a little dark and faces are sometimes hard to make out in a few scenes, but otherwise an outstanding scope print. Independence Day is also very good. Nick.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 19, 2003 05:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, Maybe you should let us prove how good the quality is of Flash at the next BFCC. I will let you show a segment from my copy with the full stereo soundtrack. I can tell you now its every bit as good as the Close Encounters segment that Keith showed last year. I would suggest the segemnt where Flash is captured and they have the skit on US baseball or was it football? Whatever, the sound is also cracking with the music by queen.
Kevin. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 20, 2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want a copy of Flash Gordon so BAD! This hobby is in many ways worse than a drug habit! I keep saying, no more prints..and the next thing you know I am saying to Gary at Derann, "Here are the digits to my C.C."
I have a question maybe one of you might know. I keep seeing Superman II in Scope. Optical. 2 x 600. Now I know that the optical prints actually hold a little more film than regular magnetic films for their length (well I was told that!) and I was always curious. Is that print a digest or is it the full length film? That was a favorite of mine.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2003 05:08 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

I don't have a copy of Superman II but I do have Little Shop Of Horrors Super 8mm Optical Sound. If it's any help this has a running time of 94mins @ 24fps and was supplied on 3 very full 600 foot reels. So that's approx 31mins per 600 foot of optical sound I guess. Hope this helps.

Rick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2003 05:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superman II is a Derann cut-down and it's magnetic sound. Runs just under an hour although the titles were also released as a 200ft reel so those with the cut-down could make it look more like the complete feature.

Good idea about bringing Flash Gordon along to the BFCC but we're generally so under pressure to get things running there is little time for playing about. One day I'll get to see another print though - perhaps we should all get together at my place and run loads of this stuff. The Close Encounters release was not a particularly good print - still rather good (but before anyone asks I don't actually have a copy of that title).

The Abyss is also a very good print. Benefits from having that blue hypnotic tint prevalent in many of James Cameron's films and aided by being set under water. However, the print is not as good as many others and probably on a par with Alien. For example Terminator 2 is better and that came from a 35mm print too. "The Chase" extract from Terminator 2 is even better quality than the feature. Speed is worth looking at as this came from a genuine negative and although not as good as the very best it is not too far off. Syncs' up perfectly to the DVD too.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2003 05:54 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John-I'm surprised that you said that The Chase extract from "T2" is better quality than the feature. I saw a print of the extract when Derann first released it and, while the interior mall scenes were great, the outside sunlit scenes looked a little dupped, slightly yellow. I've heard that the feature quality was great. Maybe the print of The Chase that I saw was just a little off - color.

Anyone else out there own a print of the T2 feature that can add some insight? Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2003 02:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to make the point all these prints are very good and with few exceptions better than anything produced on Super 8 in the years before video. All prints vary and while the T2 feature is of outstanding quality the 200ft extract I have just has the edge. This may not be the norm but quite possibly is as the negative would have been graded just for that sequence and not for the entire feature. I did actually consider cutting the extract into the feature but backed out of the idea as it may have looked a bit odd and detracted from the rest of the print.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 22, 2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
Getting back to Superman II, I picked up a print from Classic that had all the available segments cut in. As John said, the long title sequence was sold seperately as was the "Diner" scene where Clark Kent returns to face the bully once again. The scope picture quality is slightly grainy, but still good. The first part is cut very nicely, focusing mostly on Lois' suspicions about Clark and their subsequent romance. The second part is poorly edited, shortchanging the battle scenes and the finale with Superman regaining his powers makes little sense. Granted it's a tough edit, but the digest could've been better.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 23, 2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Doug!
I guess I'll pass on the Superman II. How about Poltergeist in Scope? I would like to get that one day too. Quality?

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2003 06:03 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
You won’t be disappointed POLTERGEIST is an excellent 'Scope print. Hope you find a nice copy!
Rick.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2003 11:11 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to recommend the scope print of the full length feature "The Fog". Derann released this some time in the eighties. The picture quality is fantastic. There are a lot of great scope scenes too, since this was shot on the West coast line around a lighthouse. Lots of good scenery. The night scenes of the fog rolling through the streets are excellent. Nick.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC