8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BFCC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BFCC
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I finally lost my virginity today.....attended my first BFCC in Ealing. Just wanted to say thank to all those who worked so hard at organising it and to the dealers who took the trouble to turn up and drain my wallet!

Also thanks for those new releases!

Fantastic event. Thank you.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to second everything Tony said. Great event, I came away with more than I planned to buy [as usual]. The film shows were excellant, I was particularly impressed by the new releases by Derann and CHC the quality of the sound and prints was excellant.

Now looking forward to the Spring event!

Mike

ps. good to meet you at last Tony.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted October 25, 2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a great day too this is only the second time I have ever been to the ealing show and its great I came away with some prints that look like they have never even been projected they are really clean!.
I also came away with a BATTLESTAR GALACTICA print in new condition for £5 I just had to have it (must be the kid in me coming out?).
Best Regards to all and look forward to the next one in the spring

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 25, 2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More details please lads. A serious run down of the day would be good, what films did you get as well.ETC.
Best Mark.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2003 04:55 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, another very good day at Ealing. My two travelling companions and I had a great time for different reasons. They spent most of the time around the dealers tables and came away very happy, while I enjoyed the various shows throughout the day as well as making a few purchases.
The first show was a tribute to Gregory Peck starting with an amusing look at Westerns from the turn of the 20th century to the 1970's. The highlight of this programme was the long extract from 'The Million Pound Note'. There was an audible sigh of disappointment when this clip had to end.
After the impressive 35mm Scope show we had a brief talk about Cinerama and after the the screening of 'How the West Was Won' trailer we were invited to examine a frame of Cinerama and compare it with a few frames of 70mm.
The super 8 new releases followed 'A Star Is Bored' looked and sounded amazing on the huge screen, it is a very funny Bugs Bunny cartoon. We then had 3D which was OK, but the effect was spoiled for me because a very tall person was sitting directly in front of me, effectively cutting the screen in two!
The scope releases filled the 24ft screen beautifully, but have you ever seen a frame of film melt in the projector gate magnified to 24ft? There was a little problem with the GS that caused that unscheduled delight, but it was quickly rectified and all was well.
I couldn't see the final shows because my friend had to leave a little earlier than usual so perhaps someone else could fill in the details.
ON the other BFCC thread started by John Clancy, he said we would recognise him because he would be surrounded by gorgeous women. Well, he was!, but I managed to entice three of them away.
(well, if John can fantasise, so can I)
Mal
P/S
Thanks to Gary of Derann for trusting me, he is a good person to know.

[ October 26, 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2003 08:05 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My View from the other side of the counter on the B.F.C.C.
Another great event well done Keith, JC, JB, and all the other's who make this event such a succes.
We did very well, trade was brisk and we sold many features, first time we have returned with the bargain trays completely empty.
Our prices must be competitive as a lot of sales were with other dealers.
Nice to see Tony losing his virginity as well as emptying his wallet [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Roll on the Spring event.
P.S. Novenber listing out any day now. [Razz]
Regards
Ian

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 26, 2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
And he's not the shortie I thought he was! not you Ian but Tony. Its the first time Mike and I have met Tony. We all know youre a little short Ar*e Ian.
Great day guys and its good to see the dealers like Ian, CHS and Derann still supporting super 8.
I have to say that I was a little dissapointed to see a much reduced selection of s/h films for sale on all the dealers stalls?
Why Ian?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2003 03:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for coming everyone. I thought it was a particularly good event and that also seemed to be the reaction of a lot of attendees I spoke to.

I have question though... do people prefer the big Victoria Hall in May or the smaller Queens Hall in October? Certainly having our noses pressed up to the 24ft screen in the Queens Hall is very impactive but having the stage area with the projectors way down the back of the Victoria Hall is cinema style in its scope. Do people find this a bit intimidating?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the larger Victoria Hall because the screen is further away fom the seating so the picture looks a little sharper. Another advantage is that the screen is higher so the problem of 'heads' is not so great. It is also easier to get to the dealers from there, the Queens Hall is a little remote from the 'feel' of the convention,but this is just my opinion what do others think?
Mal
Oh, and what happened to the group photograph?

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2003 02:27 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the Cinerama session I was trapped talking to a very nice chap, Ray Papaya. I looked around for any other boys from the forum but only spotted yourself Mal. By the time I got away there was no one left for a group photograph. However, I sent Aggers around taking piccies of those in the room so hopefully those will come out; we can then slap them up on the site and get people to identify themselves.

Sorry I didn't speak to everyone - please at future events come along and introduce yourselves. It's always good to put faces to names. Not that I can ever remember them of course.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2003 06:59 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the million pound note film known by any other name? I assume it was released in full on s8 but is it also on dvd? I can't see it on any dvd release and would like to see it!

--------------------
Tony

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall 'Million Pound Note' being released on super 8.
The extract screened at the BFCC was on 16mm
Mal

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC