8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackpool Convention

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackpool Convention
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone out there done the Blackpool convention.
I am considering going this year, but would love to here from anyone who has been.
How good is it really? The adverts look great, but it would mean a long car journey and would work out quite an expensive weekend.

Thanks, Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2004 07:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been for a few years Chris. Last time I went it was a bit of a downer but I understand things have improved markedly now Robert Nicholls has taken on the film shows. He's an enthusiast like the rest of us and therefore the best type to be entertaining fellow collectors. I'd like to show my support again but it always clashes with other things to which I'm committed - like work.

I plan to attend one of the Derann open days in the near future as I haven't been up for quite a while. Perhaps we should do that in a convoy too.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Chris,

I've been going for many years now, I go up on the Friday and come back on the Monday, and I always enjoy it (although it always goes too fast). If you book also for the Saturday evening meal, there is always a nice atmosphere, with plenty of laughter (usually at my expense, I'm afraid, as i have tended to win the raffle a lot over the years), and enjoyable film show at the end of the night. Then their is the actual convention on the Sunday, with many dealers, a large film screening room, and of course the infamous Blackpool auction, where you can pick a bargain up or two (last year I believe a mint copy of "Toy Story" went for just over £100). I would suggest you pick up a booking form from Derann, and think it over, as rooms in the main hotel go quite quickly (I've just booked mine this week). It may be a trek from London, but it's worth it, and if you can make it a long weekend, then you can have a rest over the weekend before travelling back on the Monday.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2004 11:22 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies lads.
Very strange, thought there would have been more about Blackpool, maybe not the venue it's made out to be? [Frown]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2004 03:51 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to 2 different organised Sunday events at Blackpool, different locations one was big with Derann there the other smaller.
The smaller one was a better hotel for getting snacks and meals.
The Derann one was spoilt by the hotel resturaut being closed at lunch time and we had to walk to somewhere ealse. Probably a small piont but would have been nice to have a snack or meal at the location.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris

I rate the Blackpool Convention in November as the
best Super 8 convention out.

There are more dealers, films and atmosphere there than at any other convention. It is a full weekend affair and there are films there [Wink] you will never see anywhere else.

The only thing missing is Ian O Reilly!!!

Someone kidnap him this year or better still his films!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC