8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bulb Issues (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bulb Issues
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 08, 2005 10:18 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...sorry to hear that the purchase was not so good. I guess that's the chance we all take with Ebay. The GS that I sold Dan literally died after I shipped it to him! [Frown]
Luckily we have this forum and the great members. Best of luck..hang in there. From what I hear the machine will be great once it is up and running!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alan. The machine worked perfectly fine when I first got it, so I don't hold the seller at fault. I think it's just one of those things. Maybe the knocking around during shipping loosened something inside of it, even though it was perfectly packed nothing is full proof. Eventually I'll figure it out! [Smile]

Mike.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum but have 20+ years in the electronics side of the fence including design work. In looking at the wiring diagram one of you provided, there are only four things that could impact the bulb only. First, the bulb winding of the transformer (highly unlikely), second, the diagram shows a bulb only fuse. It is the left fuse and goes between the transformer and microswitch. I presume the microswitch is to remove juice from the bulb when it's cover is removed. Last is the microswitch itself and the bulb socket.

Since microswitches have been known to blow open sometimes before the fuse acts that is a distinct possibility.

In the order of most to least probable, find the fuse by tracing wires either from the lamp socket to the microswitch then to the fuse (hopefully easy to see). Then from the fuse to the transformer. Without an ohmeter/voltmeter and some electronics knowledge Michael should probably leave it up to a qualified service person. Could do more damage to the point of wiping it completely [Confused] .

Rick

Just spent a little more time on the eye test diagram and Michael's pictures. It appears there are two microswitches potentially in the path for lamp power. The one on the diagram to the left of the bulb is probably the lamp on-off switch he shows in his picture right in front of the transformer. The other microswitch looks like it has something to do with voltage selection although I can't tell from the diagram. Too small. It is tied to the lamp microswitch though so may have some unknown impact on lamp power. Michael's picture is indeed the picture of the lamp power microswitch. When you move that switch up it should close the pictured switch. If the wiring diagram is correct, the fuse should be found by tracing the red wire on the microswitch to it.

I hope you guys don't shoot Newbies for too many edits and windiness. Dug out the magnifying glass and as much as these tired old eyes can make out, the microswitch on the right just below the transformer in the diagram is the switch Michael has pictured thus it has to be the main lamp power switch. The other microswitch has to be a safety switch located somewhere near the lamp housing. The main switch says it has two yellows and 1 red. The safethy switch which goes to the fuse looks like it has White as the wire to the fuse but really hard to read.

Sorry for the long post.

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, thanks for the info. If I trace the red wire from the microswitch, it looks like it leads back toward the front of the machine. I may need to remove the panel on the front of the machine that has all the knobs and dials on it. I'll see this evening what I can do. [Smile]

Mike.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Yeah, sorry for the long windedness of the last. Was kinda thinking out loud. The thing is that depending on what and how you shorted the power when you pulled the lamp, a fuse may or may not have helped. The bulb power seems ultimately to route to many different boards.

As to the means to find that elusive bulb fuse, you actually will need to find that second microswitch (the one to the left of the bulb on the diagram) and to do that you will need to follow the yellow wire on the side of the switch you took a picture of (not the bottom yellow lead). That Red lead goes right to the transformer, the big object with all the wires behind the switch in your picture.

Once you locate the other switch, follow the White wire from it to the actual fuse. Maybe Kevin can verify the color of the wire to the fuse. I can't quite make it out but it looks like it says white.

Good Luck.

I'll do whatever I can to try and help.

Rick

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rick

Welcome to the forum [Smile] .

I've emailed you higher resolution copies of the circuit diagrams, hopefully you won't need the magnifiying glass for them [Wink] .

Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike.

I really thot I'd be going blind trying to track those lines. Don't know how much help we can be to Michael with out the benefit of a schematic diagram and he not being super electrically literate, though trying hard. These are the kinda probs that can be a devil to chase, but with the right equipment and lotsa patience, it pretty much comes down to following the electron path.

At this time I'd just like to lead him to the fuse for the lamp if it's there. It looks like the power for a lot of stuff comes through that circuitry.

Rick

PS. Just got your email Mike, and Michael, it is a white wire from the as yet unlocated second microswitch that goes to the lamp fuse. Actually I noticed there will be 2 white wires coming off that switch. You'll want to follow the one from the middle connection. Happy tracking.

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, thanks for all your help. Thank you to everyone who is kind enough to help think through this.

I followed the yellow wire from the side of the first microswitch and it led to the front of the machine (I had to remove the front panel), and it led right to the 2nd microswitch. Also, there was a white wire that ran from the transformer, and met up with the yellow wire, and then both ran to the 2nd microswitch. Then, on the opposite side of the 2nd microswitch, there was a white wire that ran directly to the bulb. And then a white wire ran from the bulb back into the center of the machine (couldn't see where it went). So it appears as though there are no fuses between the first microswitch and the bulb. Also, on the 2nd microswitch, I couldn't find a small reset button like I found on the first microswitch. Although maybe it's out of my line of vision. Does any of this make sense?

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

You've got yourself a weird one here, for sure. That white wire going to the inside of the machine from the bulb looks like it ends up on a printed circuit card that has the audio output circuitry as well as other impossible to define functions from the diagram. I suspect it's that same circuit board you took a picture of with the blue capacitor on it. You might, as Mike suggested, have a good look at that black device next to the blue capacitor. I can't make it out from your picture but I have seen small fuse holders of that configuration. I would be surprised if it were though since the lamp draws around 9 amps of current so the fuse would have to be healthy sized (around 10-15 amps I would suspect).

One quick question on the yellow leaded microswitc, Does that switch control the bulb on off or just dim it like high & low light output. I suspect from the wiring diagram that it may be hi & lo light output by the way it's hooked up to the transformer.

Rick

PS. Mike Peckham and I have been going back and forth via email on this. It sounds like your projector, at this moment, is completely dead, right? No power to anything and you can't get the motor to run. Please confirm. I would say, in the absence of any other fuses, it has to be your main fuse that you blew. That is usually somewhere close to the power entry plug and usually accessible from the outside of the machine.
Please let me know.

[ May 10, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Rick Skowronek ]

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

Mike Peckham and I have been emailing like crazy on this. Just to clarify, you do have motor function, correct? The rest is dead. Without a new projector lamp we don't really know if that part works at all.

If the motor does work then your problem is probably more major than a fuse. Here's why. The lamp receives it's power from the two microswitches you tracked. The one on the lower right with the yellow and red leads is a brightness switch. When you move that switch to the up position it puts lower voltage on the bulb which makes it less bright.

The other microswitch that went to the bulb has two functions. It is the primary switch to turn the lamp on when you turn on the main projector control. It's second function is when your projector is plugged in but not running is to supply a very low voltage to the lamp. Not enough to light it but enough to keep the strain off of it when you do start the projector. The thoughts were to help the bulb last longer.

In Mike's version and on his diagram, that was the function of that second fuse he has. By your tracking it is clear Sankyo decided to omit that fuse. It would not stop the lamp from working as that fuse is out of the picture when the unit is running. Unfortunately for you, when you pulled the bulb with it plugged in, you shorted out that small "keep alive" voltage. Normally all that would have done is blow that fuse. Since it's obvious you don't have that fuse it's anyone's guess as to what took the brunt of the short. That's why my question of whether the motor was indeed still functional. You would still have to have a main fuse (hard to find, but there somewhere) but that would take power totally away from the projector and nothing would work. There are basically three independant power sources in the projector with the exception of the common transformer. One for the motor, one for the sound system electronics and one for the lamp.

Now what? One good test would be to get a known good lamp. Plug it in (with the power cord disconnected of course). Then fire up the projector to see if the lamp does light. I suspect it won't but this would point us in the right direction. It may be a joint common power connection was blown on the main PC card which then also shut down the sound. May be fixable with some effort but probably not by a layman. If by some chance it wiped the transformer, then you have a 20+ pound boat anchor. It's kind of unlikely though if the motor still runs.

I would be happy to look at it at no charge if there's a way you could pickup shipping in both directions but that's up to you. I have the necessary equipment to test it. Let me know on the motor still running question as that's the hinge pin of all the above deductions.

Rick

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, I ordered new bulbs last week and they came today. And voila, it works! The light that is. So the motor runs and the light lights, but still no sound, and no pilot lamp. Does this info narrow it down some? [Smile]

Michael.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 11, 2005 10:53 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by "no sound" - I know you mean there's nothing to hear when you play a movie, but are the VU meters still showing a signal? Does recording work at all (does the projector "hear" a microphone or line-in signal)? I don't know if your Sankyo has two separate modes for sound and silent film, but if it does, are the sound heads engaged when in the "sound" position? (Pressure pads keeping film running over the heads?)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 01:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Michael
Great to hear the lamp works OK now you have fitted the new one. As I originally mentioned the lamp from your Sankyo 460 would never have survived in this machine - 12volt lamps do not like 15volt supplies one bit - and it is more than likely the original lamp blew simply from fatigue rather than any other spurious reason. As it appears you may have a fuse-less design machine (unlikely I know but it looks that way at present) following the 'pop' noise when you disconnected the live lamp supply, the remaining problem of no sound is either a blown component on the amp circuit board or a very, very well hidden amp protection fuse (like the one on Mike's machine but situated somewhere else). One last thought about the fuse location - as your machine does not seem to meet the same design spec as other Sankyo models, have you laid the machine on it's back and looked 'up & underneath' the base of the projector (like a car looking up from an inspection pit) it's the only other place I can think they may have put outwardly facing screw-in type fuse holders or circuit breaker resets. This is definitely a machine worth fixing so the kind offer from Rick to repair the amp circuit board is the route I would recommend you follow now - see if he will also change the lamp connector as a safegard while he's at it [Wink]

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 08:20 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really strange how that short caused a failure. I won't give it 100% certainty but pretty darn close that your short on the lamp socket went through the motor control PC board (the one with the blue capacitor in your pictures) and took out the main power ground for the sound pc board. It's obvious you don't have power getting to the sound card because you don't have a power on pilot light.

You may ask how does a lamp short wend it's way over to a completely different PC board. There is one common spot for lamp power, motor power and sound power coming together and that's on the Motor Control PC board (the one you pictured). The sound board appears to be mounted directly underneath that board. Anyway, just above that blue capacitor is a spot on the PC board where Motor power comes in (the Gray wire), the return path for the lamp comes in (the white wire from the lamp socket) and main system ground for everything (a black wire from the transformer 0 volt tap). The white wire from the lamp and the black wire from the transformer would tie together on the PC board as well as another ground wire (black) to the sound PC board underneath. So, basically, in that one little corner of that PC board all system power grounds come together, lamp, sound and motor. It's not inconceivable that the short may have messed up the copper traces on the back side of it a bit to the point of opening the sound card's return power path. The fact that the bulb still lights and the motor runs is a bit of a mystery but the copper traces for them are probably much heavier than the trace for the sound power return.

Anyway, that's my WAG (wild ass guess). One thing to try just to insure that sound board power is still available is to try the projector in the dim lamp mode to insure the lamp still lights. That's because the sound power is also the same power that feeds the lamp in dim (low light) mode. If that works then it pretty much says that it's the ground area discussed above.

Let me know.

Rick

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, yes, the lamp lights in the dim setting as well as the regular setting.

Jan, the sound head engages - I can see it move up. But the sound meter is measured in LED lights and they don't work.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, guess we have it pretty well tied to an area. From the looks of your picture Michael, that's gonna be a real SOB to get at the bottom of that card since it sits above the the other card. I think if you could see under it, you would find a fairly small burned area that unfortunately acted as a fuse. It also looks like, from the pictures that it's difficult to even look back under the top and spot the white and 2 black wires coming in to their respective spots.

The Bar LEDs for the level also receive their power from the sound card power so they won't light either. The dead give away is no pilot light since it probably would light if there were any power at all on the sound card whether the circuitry was goofed up or not.Usually, the only thing that shuts down everything like all of the sound card would be power.

So, there you have it. You know pretty much where it is and what it is. Afraid the old ball, as they say, is in your court. Just be careful in getting at those boards if you decide to try. Another short or breakage could wipe some pretty bad stuff. Parts would be a devil (if available at all) to get and then you would have your boat anchor.

Last, I tend to agree with Kevin Clark on the lamp socket. It is highly unusual to see a short between the lamp pins just from wiggling the bulb out. Usually means something is wrong with the socket. Offer still stands if you don't have a local guy you can take it to.

Hope everyone enjoyed a long winded troubleshooting exercise. I know I did.

Rick

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Rick for all your help. And thanks again to everyone who helped think this one through. Rick, I think I'll try and look up under the bottom of the circuit board and see what I see, but barring some monumental discovery, I'm thinking I may just keep my eyes out for an Elmo ST1200D or HD.

The cost and trouble to pack up and ship this to you just isn't worth it to me. At least not right now. I've got my old Sankyo 460 back up and running after replacing its bulb, so at least now I can watch films again. And, I do have the Hi Pro lens that came with the 800, and that lens works on my Sankyo 460 as well.

I don't know if I want to put the effort into fixing the Stereo 800 or maybe I'll just sell it on e-bay for a really cheap price. We'll see.

Mike.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I appreciate your dilemma. It would end up costing you probably close to $60 or more for a round tripper. And, while certainly appropriate to try and resell, I'm sure you'd feel somewhat remiss trying to explain and the obvious amount of effort to repair same. You may not get even one bid for all your effort. If you have some level of soldering capability as well as a multi-meter to test voltages, I'd say give it a go.

With that said, you know I'm looking for a projector to get started. Believe me, I haven't lead you astray at any point. Would have loved for it to be something that you could've done. You can kind of blame Sankyo for removing the obviously needed protection that would have saved much of this situation.

If you are going to dump it, please let me know. I would be happy to give you something for the projector and pay for shipping it to me. Obviously, that won't recoup your loss but at least you know it's going to someone who knows what the problems are and will take the risk. Let me know what you think and if that sounds fair. Otherwise, good luck on it and really sorry for the problems caused by a problem lamp socket. Shouldn't have been that disastrous.

Regards,

Rick

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 12, 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a different theory. After studying the circuits I can see that the lamp runs off low voltage AC there is also a seperate recitifier for the motor control circuitry and likewise for the amplifier and all that is associated with it.
I dont think its the neg supply gone down but possibly an open circuit rectifer block for the amplifier and its associated circuits including the led meters. At this stage in the game its a case of checking the supply voltages from the rectifiers. They are not switched so should both have a voltage present. Looks like they are both on that motor control board in question. Its important though to note that the Lamp, Motor and amp have 3 seperate supplies.

Kev..

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

I appreciate someone else in the pool but let's recap just to insure I'm not too far off base. I agree on the three supplies and confirmed that about 9 posts above.

First, we all agree I presume, that the AC voltage is present for the sound card (going to the sound card via the orange wire from the transformer). If it wasn't there then the low brightness function on the bulb wouldn't work. It also supplies that. The motor voltage is present from the transformer as it runs and is supplied to the Motor control board (which also serves as a main connection point for many circuits) but especially the bridge rectifier for the motor control as well as all grounding/common points for all three power circuits. Please take a close look at the wiring diagram provided by Mike Peckham. The orange power wire (13.5 volts AC) for the sound circuits goes directly to the Sound Card. See schematic for exact clarification. I presume the bridge rectifier for the sound circuit is located on that board.

Now, understanding that the short circuit was through the two pins of the lamp connection, there is only one place where all the commons meet up. The 0 volt tap from the transformer that provides the "ground/common" is located on the upper right corner of the motor control card (via it's black wire shown on the wiring diagram) and also connects to the lamp for it's common, including the 2.9 VAC "keep alive" voltage via the white wire from the lamp socket, to the same spot which is what actually shorted. The only place where something could impact any of the power for the sound card is there and only via the common. It could not get to the sound card in any way shape or form since the common is right there tied to the lamp common and the common transformer lead. The sound card has just another common wire from that spot to it's card (next to the orange wire on the sound card) also colored black.

What I'm trying to say is that there is absolutely no way for a shorted set of lamp leads to find it's way to the bridge rectifier of the sound card. The fact that the motor runs and the lamp lights and no pilot light on the sound card says that it isn't getting any power whatsoever. Yet, his low lamp is getting power which means the sound card is getting the "plus" 13.5 volts AC that it's supposed to. It's missing the common from the black lead from the Motor control board whatever in the short caused that.

If you have another explanation, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks,

Rick

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2005 09:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael-

Sorry about your Sankyo troubles. I wish I had checked this thread earlier. I have two Sankyo ST-800 projectors. One is only for parts because....the sound went out on it!

I can't complain though, since I've had it since 1980 and played it all the time back then. I really got some good milage out of it. When the sound went out about three years ago, I sent it off to Atlantic Camera Repair in New York. After keeping it for about a year, they finally returned it to me and stated that they did not know how to restore the sound. So I just keep it for parts. I purchased a used Sankyo ST-800 after that, and it runs fine.

When the sound went out in my old machine, it had been showing some warning signs- sometimes the sound would just fade out during a run, but piddling with it, I discovered that I could restore the sound temporarily by pressing the "record" button for a few seconds (If you try this, make sure you turn the projector off first, as not to earase your sound track).

Eventually, the sound died and would not return [Frown]

Unfortunately, I am TOTALLY USELESS when it comes to mechanics, such as fixing machines, projectors, etc., so I can't really help you there.

If you think you can figure any thing out by looking over my working Sankyo projector, you can contact me via E-Mail. I live just over the Wilson bridge in southern Maryland just outside of D.C., and I work in D.C., so let me know if I can assist. Also, you are welcome to any spare parts from my old machine, only I doubt it can help, since it suffers from the same problem.

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 12, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what JUST popped up on eBay? A Sankyo Stereo 800, being sold as defective/for parts but with working sound. Maybe this is something that one of you (Rick or Michael) wants to check out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7515768879&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

With that out of the way - James, when the sound on your first Sankyo started going out, did it become distorted in a particular way as well? If so, my guess would be that some transistor failed and a replacement should fix that right up. I'm a bit surprised that this Atlantic Camera place there couldn't figure it out, seems it's just down to pure electronics - maybe they were more adept at fixing the mechanical aspects of projectors.

Michael, have a look at the auction as well - there are plenty of good photos of the Sankyo being offered there, maybe you can spot visual differences between the eBay unit and yours? It might help confirm that your unit is (or isn't) indeed slightly different, in regard to non-existent fuses and such. It would really be too bad if your unit couldn't be fixed, so I'm rooting for everyone who's been in this helping you so far - if I knew more about electronic components and how they interact, I would, too - but Rick seems to have that part down pat. [Smile]

Oh, and one more thing... James, why do you call yourself Nick? [Confused]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 07:22 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan- I was wondering if ANYONE was ever going to ask me that [Big Grin] .
Actually, my first name really is "James". When the old 8mm forum crashed a couple of years ago and we all had to re-register our names and information, I had my wife fill everything out for me (we always blame the wife, don't we [Wink] ). When the instructions advised to use your REAL name, she took it quite literally and put my full official name, even though I haven't ever really gone by the name "James", but Nick, from my middle name of Nicholas. I'm only "James" on official paperwork, or in very formal situations. Thanks for asking!

Also, in reference to the sound, the only problem I had prior to it going out was an occassional slight "pop" sound that would happen every 5 minutes or so, usually occurring after an hour of continuous movie showing. This went on for about a year, then the occassional fading, then complete loss.

As I mentioned before, I did put MANY miles on this machine before it did this, so I don't really have a complaint on the Sankyo and would still rate it #2 after the Elmo's.

"Nick" [Cool]

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

Just a little input on your particular Sankyo sound problems. I presume that you all still had your pilot light lit, meaning the board was getting juice, you were just losing signal somewhere in the sound path. I probably personally serviced well over a thousand tape machines in my early career. The problem you describe Nick is probably due to a dirty, slightly corroded record/playback switch. Since probably one of the least used functions on these projectors is the record, the switches would tend to corrode since no wiping action is going on. Virtually every part of the sound system ends up going through that switch including all playback capability. There are a couple of ways to keep it going better. First with either the projector off or a non-important reel on it move that switch into record 10-15 times. The contacts on the switch will tend to self clean. Also, pickup a can of switch contact cleaner at Radioshack, locate the switch and spray it down. Then move the switch 10-15 times and spray again. This will pretty much restore the switch to like new performance. A regular routine should be that everytime you've played several rolls through it, move that switch a few times.

Another problem that showed up in the 70 and 80s japanese electronics is capacitor dry out. Over time these capacitors would just stop functioning. They are used extensively in the signal path of these electronics. Obviously, that requires some fancy equipment and fairly extensive electronics knowledge. Probably isn't worth fixing unless you do. Can't tell you how many low or no sound problems I traced to those.

Regards.

Michael Clark
Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Michael Clark   Email Michael Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, thanks for the offer! [Smile]

Jan, thanks for the link - I'll be watching this auction! [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC