8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Splicing tape - the saga continues! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Splicing tape - the saga continues!
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 07:15 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a few goes now at using both the Fujica and the C.I.R. splicers, and find it difficult to choose which I prefer at the moment. I've actually made about a dozen splices with each type, and they both run faultlessly through my ST1200 HD. INFINITELY better than the cement jobbies!!

However, whilst both came with a reel of splicing tape, and the C.I.R. has virtually a new roll, the Fuji has all but run out.

I have phoned The Widescreen Centre, Deranns and CHC, all of whom tell me that the pre-punched Fuji rolls of splicing tape have been discontinued and are no longer available. Unpunched rolls of tape, however, abound.

Is this true? [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

If so, I'm glad I only paid a fiver for the Fujica splicer, and not the other way round.

Does anybody have any other information to the contrary?

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 08:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dave
You've got two very nice splicers there - availablity of the CIR tape rolls should never be a problem to source as they do not require any special pre-punching machinery to make them, rolls for the Fujica one do appear on Ebay from time to time, most likely amongst a combined lot of other cine kit and equipment. I'll keep an eye out and let you know when / if I see some offered, as I spend far too long trawling the darker depths of Ebay anyway it would be a pleasure to help you in your quest!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 08:34 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Kevin. I'd be much obliged. I'll keep looking too!

Best,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I bought a couple of rolls for the Fujica splicer last month in a little camera shop in Amsterdam. He's got plenty of new stock (and claims to be the cheapest supplier of this tape in Europe; still E9.50 (aprox. £6)). I think you can order online at: www.parallaxe.nl
I'm not sure if he accepts credit cards. If payment is an issue, contact me.

The owner of the shop is Johan Kalee. He is related to the famous British cinema projector manufacturer. An enormous Kalee 35mm projector takes up about half the space of his little shop. He is a nice chap.

- Rob

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW Rob!

Just visited his website and placed an order for 10 rolls via e-mail. I asked if he accepts PayPal or credit cards. I am awaiting his reply. If not, how could you help?

We visit Amsterdam quite frequently - well - every year or every other year, as we like it so much and it provides a welcome break without being too far away. Probably won't be going for a while yet, though.

It's very kind of you to make this gesture - like everyone in this Forum - all keen to help - it's great.

I'll keep you posted on any reply I receive.

Cheers,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, a frequent visitor to Amsterdam. [Wink] Next time you go, mention my name at the Grasshopper Café, Trixie would be more than willing to show you the true meaning of Super 8. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Rob, excellent web site.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2005 03:31 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig!

CAN'T WAIT!!!! [Embarrassed] [Cool] [Embarrassed] [Cool]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 11:18 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Kevin C. and Rob, plus anyone else interested.

I have had several communications from Johan Kalee regarding the pre-punched Fujica splicing tape. He has quite a large new stock of the genuine article, and so I have ordred 10 rolls. This is probably far more than I shall ever need, but the fact that other stockists say that it has been discontinued, disappointed me. Therefore I wish to thank Kev for offering to look out for some on eBay, on my behalf, and also Rob for drawing my attention to this little gem of a shop in Amsterdam - gosh - I nearly typed Amstel beer then!! [Big Grin] Slurp, slurp!! Aahh, aahh!!

I would therefore suggest anyone wishing to continue to use their Fuji splicer to get their tape from 'Sin City'. [Cool]

One final thing. He does not take credit cards nor PayPal. Purchases can only be made by credit transfer direct to his bank (expensive), or cash. I have opted to send cash; concealed, insured and registered, through the mail. I've bought many international items this way for far greater amounts, and never had a problem.

So there you have it!

I can continue to use both my new-found accessories with impunity.

Thanx!

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love a happy ending [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 01:56 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There! There! Mike.

I haven't walked off into the sunset - well, not quite yet. However, thanks for aiding the inspiration in encouraging me to look for a C.I.R too.

Still don't know which I prefer. Guess they both have their pros & cons. Anyway, I'll have plenty of opportunity and time to decide now, without the constraint of HAVING to go for one or the other!

BTW Mike, has anyone from the Forum given you a worldwide shopping list yet? [Big Grin]

Best to all,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW Mike, has anyone from the Forum given you a worldwide shopping list yet?
Not yet, I'm still figuring out how I can make sure that I have a constant supply of K40 during my trip. I just bought 20 carts from Jessops but don't fancy carrying all those with me right round the world so am thinking about sending 10 of them to a friend in Australia so that I can then send all those I've exposed off to Switzerland and pick up a fresh supply for the next six months!

I'm hoping to check out any interesting shops that have a stock of super 8 gear as I travel around, sadly they seem to be few and far between now but they are out there as Rob has proven with his link to 'Parallaxe' above.

Best

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Might I dare to be first on the list then? [Embarrassed] If you come across either a Standard 8 or Super 8 sound movie of Old Time American Railroading, I'd be eternally grateful. Preferably of the cowboy era, and/or later, with large or small steam locos, would be perfect. Not a cowboy film with trains, though, but more historic/documentary/nostalgic would be the order of the day. Clearly, the longer the film, the better, but no constraints, you understand!

Well, I can only ask; and you can always say no!

Best,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

How will you carry all those BOXES [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

In case you haven't sent the cash yet, I still have a bank account in Holland and can transfer the money for you. That is cheaper and safer.

I've received the Mark-S that I bought on Ebay a month or so ago in the mean time. It was a bit of a shock when I saw the plastic case around the projector, because the Badge was missing.... Luckily the badge on the projector is there in all it's glory! The machine is generally in decent condition. I haven't opened it up yet, but I expect a few pieces missing. I'll look at it in more detail this weekend and maybe we should meet up sometime soon to see if we can create 2 decent machines out of your Mark-S ,my old projector and the 2 spares I have.

- Rob

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 05:31 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

That's very gracious of you. No, I haven't sent the cash yet, but I have bought the Euros ready to send. What do you suggest?

I don't suppose you want paying in Euros, or do you??

I shall be away on business for the whole of the Bank Holiday, from this afternoon till late on Monday. Perhaps we can communicate then, if that's OK.

With many thanks,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I just sent you an email.

- Rob

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 11:00 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know, this is an old thread but I have purchased - just today - a brand new, mint in box Fuji Stereo/dual track splicer and... I'm in love. This is a remarkable piece of equipment. It's easy to use and it creates really good splices without covering any of the magnetic sound tracks. It came with three rolls of tape and I've located, on top of the Dam shop mentioned earlier in this thread, other sources. Wittner have some and there's a place in L.A.
My trusty CIR splicers might be soon retiring.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 11:41 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David - or anyone - going to Amsterdam might like to visit the shop selling Super 8 films whilst there. They have unusual releases, such as obscure films on 3 x 400' with English sound but Dutch subtitles. It's years since I was last year, but I found the address on the Parallaxe site:
De Filmcorner
v.d. Kleuts Handelsbureau
Marnixstraat 263
1015 WJ Amsterdam

Be warned that you are liable to also see some rather graphic 'adult' material on the shelves, whilst browsing.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 21, 2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If one of those CIR splicers ends up being for sale, I'm interested. [Big Grin]

That, or if you can possibly find any Wurker 'duo-play' tapes for use with my splicer, that would be superb.... prefer 4-frame but would take 2-frame as well.... I still have some left but you always run out at the worst possible moment (right?) [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 22, 2006 01:54 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Jan, you'll be the first to know. I have a near new plastic version, almost mint in box and a metal one, complete with another unit for spare parts.
If you want to make an offer, use email or private messages.
Remember that the plastic version, new from Derann costs around 150 bucks. I won't sell it for that price but I won't let it go for peanuts. [Wink]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

It's OK just offer him Brazils.......

or Hazelnuts.......

or go the whole hog and offer a bag of mixed nuts.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 22, 2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The equivalent of my own weight in Cadbury chocolate with hazelnuts would do...

Milman, go wash your mouth with WD40 [Razz]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Mark, thats a lot of Chocolate. [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 22, 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I have managed to get Wurker patches from Foster Films and also Classic both 2 and 4 patch duo's [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 22, 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of splicing tape, does anyone know if STD 8 tape fpr CIR type splicers is still made? I know the place in Dean Street is producing new tape for the 16mm and Super 8 CIR splicers, but I don't think they make it for Std 8 versions. I managed to get a couple of rolls from Derann, but it was very old stock that was close to being past it.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC