8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Splicing tape - the saga continues! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Splicing tape - the saga continues!
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 22, 2006 11:14 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

I must be blind 'cause I didn't know Paul Foster had those Wurker splices available!! Or maybe he didn't when I thought to check his website, but did before/after that. Thanks though [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 23, 2006 02:08 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jean-Mark, thats a lot of Chocolate.

Craig

Yup, even though I have lost 40 pounds since last year...

Adrian, I had the same problem, so now for one splice in std 8, I take about 2 to 3 inches of 16 mm tape, I stick it on a piece of clean glass, reduce it to the std 8mm tape width with a ruler and an Xacto, lift it off the glass and then use it in the CIR splicer. I admit that it's not the easiest way to go but it works.

Does anybody know why the tape used in the CIR std 8 splicer is wider than the super 8 version?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 23, 2006 06:10 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,
Thanks for the tip, but I hope I don't have to do that!
I think the reason the Std 8 tape is wider is that a Std 8 splice on the frame line, one frame from the cut, might not be big enough to be completely secure and, more importantly, would probably not achieve a clean 'punch' as the edge of the tape would overlap the sprocket hole. E.g. with 16mm CIR splices, the tape can exactly fit 2 frames, but most people position it slightly off-centre to avoid the edge being over a sprocket hole.

Regarding Wurker splices, Classic Home Cinema stock the 4 frame type. Don't know if they stock the 2 frame type. (I cut my 4 frame ones in half to save money!)

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2006 11:22 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt it the same tape,since the splicer punches the holes? I would have thought super and standard 8 cir tape is the same.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2006 11:22 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt it the same tape,since the splicer punches the holes? I would have thought super and standard 8 cir tape is the same.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 17, 2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the Fuji Splicers for almost 8 years now. The best I have used! You can also buy them from Steve Osborne at the Reel Image here in the states. He has the tapes as well.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 17, 2006 05:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Std 8 tape is wider than the Super 8 tape. The key thing is that the Std 8 punches cut through 3 sprocket holes and the Super 8 punches go through 2. The Super 8 tape could be used on a Std 8 splicer, but as the edge would go over the sprocket holes, the result may not be very good.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 18, 2006 05:19 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I have certainly bought those patches from paul in the past. He didnt have them listed on his site but I asked and he had them. My last lot came from Classic and they were the 2 patch stereo type which I am currently using.
I think Wittners in germany also sell them.

I too have a Fuji splicer which I also love so to get a couple of rolls for that would be good.

Rob, when are you going home again?

Kev.

[ April 19, 2006, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2006 06:45 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In about two weeks, Kev. I think I'll be able to spend a few hours in Amsterdam. I'm taking orders now....

- Rob

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 19, 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Good man [Smile] You will probably clear his stock at this rate [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC