8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » whats next after M&C? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: whats next after M&C?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 20, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Altough,(sad to say) i am not one of the lucky few to have got a copy of the latest release from Derann i was just thinking these thoughts,
1/ M&C is a great title to release, bang up to date, scope and stereo. With its running time of 2hours plus it does make it a little expensive and out of reach for many. I almost made it but unforseen circumstances in work put paid to that. [Frown]
2/ Hoping the release is a good succsess,(hopfully in time someone could update us on that),i wonder if its possible to get a release of a feature with a RT that be equivilant to 3 x 600ft. Titles like Tim Burtons nightmare before Xmas,I suppose it may sound daft but with a thought on what is or would be possible and perhaps some ideas from collectors, not just on this forum, but through some kind of questionair through the Derann news letter, maybe the shorter running time would result in a cheaper release due the the obvious and therefore within the reach of more collectors. Clearly it may take some thinking through but shorter running time films are out there.
Maybe even a collaberation with Derann and someone else? CHC.
Is that a nutty idea or perhaps not? [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 20, 2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a brilliant idea. Nothing like a cartoon or short comedy followed by a 90-minute feature. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2005 09:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£350 is cheaper than Master and Commander really should be. £400 is nearer the mark nowadays for a film of its length.

Another feature in the near future is not likely but possible after a while. However, it will have to be another special film to stand a chance of being worthwhile on Super 8 and there aren't really many films made any longer that make the grade. Sadly, I can only think of one since Gladiator (M&C) and that's just been released.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on more titles coming forth, but what I'd really like to see is someone that will be willing to start up a small super 8 company in america. With so many 35mm masters of so many titles out there, (many no doubt public domain) there could be a rich selection of releases.

But then, it would take someone with enough cash to blow, (quite frankly) just to get it started. I mean, the film labs still exist of course, and it would do great business from overseas customers, as they (U.K. especially) would be able to get great deals, with the devalued dollar and all.

Though it would seem like a pipe dream, it is possible.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can only be special films to be done on super 8.

BARAKA

BARAKA

BARAKA

BARAKA

One of the very last films to be shot in true conventional 70MM with 35MM release prints to regular theaters. A film by Ron Fricke (who did the photography of volcano sequence in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith). You can find listings for Baraka on IMDB.com as well a general search in google.com (Baraka Movie).

If on super 8, it would have to be scope/stereo or it wouldn't be justified on the smaller format.

[Smile] I know I'm not the only one here with this thought.

CG

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree on the £350 being cheap for the M&C, considering the price of other films of the same length it has been released and priced very well.
The shorter length was just a thought on perhaps being within the reach of other collectors. [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but as it seems the new Wallace and Grommit film will be a massive hit in the US and UK, as well as being acclaimed as one of the all-time animated classics, I would think that at 85 mins, it might fit the bill in terms of the length that Tom's referring to. In a previous thread, there was quite a lot of demand for one of their shorter films on S8.

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldnt mind betting that the support "MADAGASCAR PENGUINS CHRISTMAS CAPER" will appear fairly quickly.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had always had hope that some of the Columbia and Paramount Full Length features would become available.

I was also told by a former super 8 collector that Some of the Thuderbird prints of Our Town, and I believe Foriegn Correspondent, had excellent quality.

I have always loved the fictional baseball story based on fact:
A Leauge of Their Own. It's set in the 40's, during WWII. Good Comedy,
Great Cast and acting: Tom Hanks, Gina Davis.

It has a teriffic sound track too.

The original Matrix, and Chicago the Musical would be good too.
Don't forget: Godfather Parts one and two.

Michael
By the way, has Young Frankenstien ever been released on Super 8?
I understand CHC, had some info? What was the quality?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 12:39 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought i would put my two pennith in here, I personally think that any new release on super 8 would have to be a film that appeals to the vast majority, it has to be relatively short to make affordable as well.
I don't think that it would be a bad idea if it was at all possible, to make a release of the new Wallace & Gromit film, "Curse Of The Were Rabbit" surly this would be a very successful super 8 print, possible even more so than M & C, even Wives loves this film, kid's too apparently, where M & C is after all a blokey type film.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2005 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Incredibles would be a little long by Tom's standards, but it's an awesome movie.

I like the W&G idea a lot, but I recall Duncan wrote about two years ago that Derann doesn't have a relationship with that studio. In this case, I'd be happy to be wrong: I'd love to see anything Wallace and Gromit on my screen.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
The problem was the BBC who have distributing rights over the shorts, unlike the film which is distributed by Dreamworks a different matter, and a 35mm print could be an easier mission to get hold off. I have been talking to a few collectors today at the BFCC about this, and there is definitely a lot of interest in this film, many collectors said they would seriously consider having a copy. I really do see this as a big seller and i have not even seen the film myself yet, but have heard it's CRACKING.
Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 22, 2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve, there. W&C on super-8 would just be grand. [Smile]

Young Frankenstein was indeed released on super-8 by Piccolo Films in Germany as a 400ft. digest - a very well edited one, at that, and with great image quality and sharpness too. However, I'm not aware of any full-length prints of the movie, or any English-language ones at that.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fine by me!

I'm going to see "The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Something that really stymies the ability of people across the various ponds to invest in a feature is Derann's withdrawal of "Six Months No Interest" for overseas customers. While I certainly understand and respect their reasoning (apparently they were ripped off by someone taking a bunch of merchandise and then stopping payment), forking over that kind of cash in one lump is a really hard sell with respect to the family budget.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 22, 2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, I ran into that exact situation once with Derann when wanting to purchase Fearless Vampire Killers which was then being offered on sale. One can always use a credit card and make payments on the balance instead of to Derann, of course, but it would be nice not to have to pay any interest on the balance owed. That said, I don't blame them for the decision they made.

(Never did buy the film, though, and must admit now I'm glad as money is just so darned tight lately.)

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 22, 2005 08:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

Somehow 6 payments of $50 stings a lot less than one of $300!

Theoretically you could stash away a little every month and accomplish the same thing, but if all you have is $150 and Derann throws the film you want on sale, you either miss the opportunity or blow the budget!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 22, 2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see the dilemma. [Wink]

Of course, if something like Baraka ever comes along on super-8, I will GLADLY throw myself into debt to score a print of it!!! Chip introduced me to that film a while ago and I rented and watched the DVD of it. It's absolutely breathtaking and my 19" PC monitor, although of excellent image quality, does not do this film justice. It MUST be seen on a big scope screen. [Smile]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These titles sound great.

I would still appreciate a 3D Stooge short: Spooks, on Low fade stock. [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 23, 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Were-Rabbit was excellent!

Absolutely belongs on the big screen!

--------------------

Tim Drage
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Tim Drage   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Drage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Incredibles on super-8 would be superb. The retro style of it seems really apt for super-8, maybe someone from Pixar could be persuaded to do a suitably 60s-futuristic style box design for it! [Smile]

Along the lines of Baraka, Koyanisquatzi (sp?!?) would be a great release!!

Most of the films I'd like to see released would probably be too obscure to be commercially viable! [Smile] - Tetsuo, Zulawski's 'Possession', The Wizard of Speed and Time (Feature or short... the short would be more feasible as a release and really should happen!!!!) ... any of Jodorowsky's films... Holy Mountain especially (tho considering the trouble he's had getting them on video....) ... Eraserhead... any Wong Kar Wai film; Chris Doyle's cinematography is too beautiful for mere video!

I could go on and on but why bother! [Smile] Even if they were released I probably couldn't afford to buy! [Smile]

--------------------
Tim Drage
Animator & Director
Spite Your Face Productions
http://www.spiteyourface.com

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer to have "Saving Private Ryan" since every scene is beautiful and we can only watch part by part without loosing the main story.

I also notice that none of Steven Spielberg's 1990s films were released in this format, any reasons behind this? or I have missed one

Bye

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 11:13 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the storming of Normandy...from when they are on the boat until the action ends..the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan would be great to put out on Scope and then attach it to the battle scene in Pearl Harbor also out by
Derann. That would be great!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 24, 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Saving Private Ryan was a 1.85 "flat" film, not scope.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 24, 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Jurassic Park (1993) is the only Spielberg film that I know of from the 90's to be available in 8mm.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 27, 2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seconding Barry,

The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper would be a great S8 Short!

Beautiful, Frantic, Hysterical!

Works seperately from "Madagascar" much the same way "Gone Nutty" works seperately from "Ice Age".

Oh, well! Maybe Christmas 2006!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC