8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » whats next after M&C? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: whats next after M&C?
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper would be a good release I recon it to be about 20 mins, so a full 400ft. £60?
What about a full length release of Gladiator? Derann have obviously got the master material, anybody else interested?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB 'sez Penguins is 11 minutes, just a hair too much for a 200 footer.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Not too much if on Polyester stock!
For me the next release has to be the latest W&G feature.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting,

I have a 3 year old print of Derann's "Sounds of Arizona" which is supposed to be 10 minutes, and it's full to the brim! Isn't this polyester?

Good film too! Rerminds me of many good times I had in Tucson about ten years ago!

It did wind up costing me, though. I didn't know it was 'scope when I ordered it (the old website omitted this fact). They offered to take it back, but I kept it, and of course it eventually cost me a 'scope lens and a whole bunch of other films too...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 05:52 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but I'm getting more and more fond of extracts, rather than features. Ever since Derann's release of "the Chase" from Terminator 2, I've been bitten by the extract bug.

The reasons are numerous- probably first and foremost is price. Second is available time to watch film. And third is repeatability.

I have often wondered if Derann would release more extracts of films that they currently sell in full length. Like a scene from Independence Day, The Abyss, or Die Hard would be nice.

I do still enjoy watching super 8 features though. But with that high exchange rate from U.S. to British right now, I have to stick with shorter items.

Nick.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2005 07:20 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just reading through the thread and the trend seems generally for shorter subjects, but don't forget full length films like "Ice Age" are currently available on 8.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 30, 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, whn you think about it the 8mm scene is a whole lot healthier than many people could have ever predicted, especially with the full length films recently, as many have said, the extract is within the reach of more people and like me, i do enjoy sitting down and seeing many short films.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M & C might be a good price but still way out of my buget. I would be frightened of running the print for fear of putting a scratch throught it. A mate of mine who used to be a projectionist in the West End a through years back managed to put a line scratch through a 70mm print of Star Trek 3 cost alot more than £350 to replace. On the question of current extracts like Matix etx., I would not buy them or even bother to see them at the cinema and most of these new extracts apart from M&C and the Gladiator extracts are the only ones I would see on film. Anybody else agree.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 07:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Colin-

I wasn't sure what you were saying in your statement. Are you saying you wouldn't want to buy or see extracts of the films, or were you just refering to full length film?

Nick.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read my post back its not that clear. Let me try and explain better.
M & C is agood price for a feature and I hope that the collectors who wish to buy features at that price who can afford then greatand great for Derann. I cannot justify buying films at that price and will stick with the DVD on this.
The current trend of Derann film releases like the Matrix extracts and that type of film again great if Derann are selling to customers. I do not like this type of film and would not go to the cinema to see them. Films like the Gladiator extracts are more my personal choice. I got fed up with extracts like the pod race from Star Wars after a few screenings. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the showings at Ealing but 1 screening of these extracts was enough. Are there any members who back up this comment? I was just interested to hear if I was the only one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do understand what you say ther, i do enjoy a feature but also very much enjoy a good extract, I prefer the large sequence shorts like the Matrix and Gldiator rather than a short that tries to condense a whole feature, [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 02:03 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you're saying Colin. I too don't care for the Matrix films. In general I don't get on with cgi so you can imagine how such films get on my nerves. Having said that there are exceptions and I can see why others would enthuse over the Matrix films. The Freeway extract possibly has the best stereo sound I've ever heard on a package movie and the print quality is very good too. Altogether it makes for a very good purchase. I hope it sells well.

I can understand many not being able to justify a new feature purchase. However, look back to the hey day of Super 8 and compare prices in the late 70's early 80's to now. In real terms Super 8 is cheaper than it has ever been. To me £350 for a feature of the quality and running time of Master and Commander is a bargain. Perhaps Derann should offer reel 1 as an extract. I'd get one despite having the feature.

DVD is cheap to the point of ridiculous. That Super 8 is surviving against such pressure is amazing. I used to think laser disc was cheap but DVD is just throwaway money. I once spent £65 on a single title on laser disc and didn't think it was that expensive. Now the same thing can be had for less than a fiver on DVD. How times have changed. But it doesn't affect the way I look at Super 8 prices - Super 8 is unique and we're lucky to still have it. Long may it continue.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree John, though to the rest of the world we look like rediculous chumps. There really is a magic to that flickering image. I've tried to put it into words, and, as a writer, that should come easy, but it doesn't.

Perhaps, it's just a return to a simpler day, (is "simpler" a word? not quite sure), when you would be awestruck, watching with fevered imagination those actors going at it on the screen.

The film medium incorporates so many pieces in order to function, (writing, directing, lighting, ect.0 to make a most wonderful play come forth, and while you can see that on your 27 inch TV, (or my 200ft. projection TV) but there is that love of examining those indiviual images and them all together that is purely,

well ....

it's magic!

oh, and by the way, IT'S UNANIMOUS!!! THE WALLACE AND GROMMIT feature is the pick. Has anybody possibly thought of petitioning Derrann just to let them know just how serious of a pick this would be for them? Just how profitable this release would be? I think it's a good idea!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 02, 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, your certainly ight on the prices today for super being cheaper than ever before, any one who has old movie maker mags can flick through the pages and see that. Walton 8reel feature, (4x400) were £144 in the 70's. DVD is just a cheap,(but excellent) means of lots of people being able to watch a film at home. I suspect there is a very small minority who have the full works, the big scree, the mini cinema etc. Most people still just bung it on the telly in the evening and thats it.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the feature: You Only Live Twice, still in the works?
I wonder if it is the same material used several years ago,and if it will have
english titles?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 07, 2005 02:51 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still not convinced that realeasing a feature is the way to go (even if "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" is the best film I've seen this year). Not all collectors can afford it. I guess I could but I personnaly don't feel like buying a full length film on S8, unless it's a second hand bargain. I'd rather buy several short subjects, extracts or cut-downs.

Let's do an honest count here, how many of you bought M&C?

Talked to CHC's Phil Sheard at the last BFCC. New prints sales were below expectation, even the short subjects (the two James Bond openers). "You Only Live Twice" is not being considered at the moment.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2005 05:03 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean,

I just posted about the strange phenomenon of people in buying new prints under the other topic, i.e "Willoughby Peerless". Please clik here .

Even people who live in developed country are now reluctant to purchase new prints, while long time ago people bought 400" for US$ 44 or US$ 180 more for a full length (which today, as a result of inflation, the value of those amount of money could have doubled).

I believe the purchasing power of today's people is stronger than before. On the other hand, the needs for watching the movie at home has never decreased. So is the fact behind this that people are spending their money to other forms of entairtainment or what??? [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

confusing...but keep cheers, [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 07, 2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Yes, I followed the Willoughby post with great interest. As a teenager in the late 70s, I was already buying films. At the time, I was only able to afford one, maybe two 400ft per year.

But, at the time, this was also THE ONLY WAY to watch films at home.

The general public didn't have any other choice.

Early 80s VCRs were worth a fortune and films on VHS were in the 200-400 USD price range if you wanted to buy one (hence the success of video rental).

We are collectors, ie - a bunch of zany guys playing cinema at home. In essence, we are turned towards things of the past. The general public don't give a $#%@ about super 8. They want movies available as fast as possible after the theatrical release, on a cheap, easy to use format/support.

I'm proud of my collection and I dearly value the fact of being able to share this passion with so many great people on this forum. But, let's face it, we're a minority. Indeed, we are buying new prints, but this is no real market... [Smile]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 07, 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All very true Jean, super 8 is only being kept going because those dealers who still produce the new releases are themselves film collectors, Derann of course was all down to Dereck and, as i understand it, he wanted the buisness to go on for as long as the collector still buys. No one would seriously go into super 8 to make a living anymore.
The DVD market is as rife as the vinyl records were in the 60's and 70's, cheap, good quality but in my mind, no challange, and every 1s got one. Film always fasinates my mates, they chuckle as first, especialy when i 1st switch on but when the image lights up on the screen there always very silent. Kids are always taken back. We are the steam enthusiasts of the movie world, & there aint nothing wrong with that. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much agreed! There is a rapt attention to film. Perhaps there is a subconscious nod to earlier times and a knowledge that this is passing away. I dare say that when moview theatres one day switch to a digital video instead of film, we (and 16mm, 35mm collectors) will be the only ones to observe this proud heritage!

I'm the same way about my love for the CBS radio Mystery Theater, all 1400 episodes. I used to lie under the covers letting the crap be scared out of me as a kid, and I still love to fall asleep to those old radio shows, pining for those simpler days.

Though unrealistic to the changes in medium used for entertainment, I will still covet my film collection. Let the world get faster around me! I'll still click on that beautiful image, reel by reel, sitting back with popcorn and sweetie, (who happens to love super 8) hand in hand and just watch the story unfold before my eyes once again!

Aaaaaaah super 8 bliss!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad regarding You Only Live Twice. Hopefully with a better economic situation, this may turn around.

Classic Connery would be wonderful. Especially with today's technology in producing wonderful prints.

Thank goodness for this Forum. Otherwise it would be bleak to know what's happening with this specialized interest of ours.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real shame about You only Live Twice not being considered. I can't understand why the other two Bond Pre- credit sequences have not sold well, they are a complete mini story in themselves, not expensive, great scope quality and in my mind the classic red view through the gun barrel repeating accross the sreen to the Bond theme is the business.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 04:10 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi- Thank you for that very "poetic" entry, which I think pretty much defines the super 8 collector. Very well said [Cool] .

Nick.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2005 10:11 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a Christmas themed feature was available in full length, would that encourage more collectors to take the plunge?

How about The Polar Express? Tim Allen in: The Santa Clause? A full length release of Albert Finney's: Scrooge- In Scope???

Will Ferrell in Elf?

Paramounts White Christmas?? The original Technicolor was breathtakingly Gorgeous!

Just think, Christmas with a film to show, and everyones happy!

Just running The Bohemian Girl, and when the scene gets to the snow, everyone makes the connection that it could be a Christmas event.

With this in mind, any film with snow could also be a good tie-in during the holidays. [Big Grin]

Well Ok, if not a feature, than how about those Madagascar Penguins!?!?!?

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 12, 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or how about that feature March of the Penguins? It's supposed to be such a good film, though I haven't heard much of anything about it other than it's some kind of surprise hit. But if it's as good as they say.... [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC