8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » enough is enough (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: enough is enough
Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that it is time to get to the bottom of these stupid rumours that keep circulating with regards to exhibitions closing, dealers going out of business etc etc.

If anybody hears any more rumours like this, please contact me, either via email:

adrian@derann.co.uk

or by phone

01384 233191

Tell me who told you, I will then personally contact that person and ask who told them, and so on

The person or persons who are spreading these rumours,
I will NAME AND SHAME THEM - whoever that may be.
Be it a customer, ex customer or dealer.

I cannot for the life of me understand why, someone (who has or still is, involved in the hobby), would try and destroy this wonderful enjoyment that we have of collecting and watching movies, but on another note, it is also putting my staffs jobs at risk, and under NO circumstances will I allow that to happen.

I have a suspicion who is starting these rumours but cannot say anything without proof.

Lets put an end to this once and for all,
Words cannot express how annoyed I am that this malicious gossip keeps on cropping up, time and time again.

Adrian Simmonds
Managing Director of Derann Film Services Ltd

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 06:26 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, welcome to the forum.

Well said.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
Delighted to hear that you will be taking this approach. I heard, from the Derann staff at the BFCC, of recent calls asking about whether the BFCC was on, so I expect your staff may have mentioned (innocent) people who had been told such rumours.
You may have seen via FFTC or my post in another thread that the latest Super 8 Film Review said: "Only recently, at a small event in Rickmansworth, at least one collector was told by the organiser that the BFCCs had been cancelled". So, the Rickmansworth organiser sounds a good candidate to tackle about this.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,

Which convention are you referring to in Rickmansworth?
Is it Tadley?

Kind regards

Adrian

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
No connection whatsoever with Tadley. I've never been to one but the last cine fair at Rickmansworth was in February. I'll email you the email address of someone who should be able to put you in touch with the organiser, whoever that is.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

It's about time something was done about these rumours, and I'm glad you have the courage to go ahead with any "Naming & Shaming" if absolutely neccesary. I have had many wonderful years of dealing with everyone at Derann, and I got on really well with your dad, and he would really be seething at these rumours, and I'm really glad to see that it has rubbed off onto you. If I hear anything for definate I will let you know, but you know that you have my full support here at Independent 8.

All The Best,

Barry.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hello adrian,welcome to the forum.i am with you 110%.the person/s who started this crap should be dealt with by the law.once again welcome to the forum.andy.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything that has been said. I do not understand why some people want to keep putting down anything to do with super 8 film collecting. It is a wonderful hobby which has brought me, and my family and friends, immense enjoyment over many years. The BFCC and Tadley conventions, and the people behind them, are great and long may they continue. I just don't get it. But, whoever it is, I say get lost and leave us alone to enjoy our great hobby. I can just see him 25 years from now saying " There, I told you super 8 was dead!".

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Great to see you on the forum and as you can see straight a way ther are many people here who respect the work that Derann have done over the years and continue to do so.

Yes these rumours have been cropping up for some time now and of course you can imagine that they were at an all time high just after it was anounced that Birmingham had been cancelled.

I think we have a small clique within the UK hell bent on damaging what is left of this hobby which is a great shame. Cant really understand why unless it is someone who has fallen out badly with the likes of Derann and Keith W.

You certainly have my support and from the looks of it the support of many members of this forum especially those from the UK. If I for one can help then count me in. It's a great hobby, and Derann like other Dealers have put a lot of time and support into it for us collectors and we want it to continue for many years to come.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Adrian! Good hunting!

Kev and Doug, maybe a post area labeled something to the effect of exposing the rumor for it is(jealousy, deranged behaivor, etc.) [Eek!] , would be of service to the film collecting community. [Smile]

The game is afoot!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 01:27 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a group of tossers that have just "Discovered" digital and think its the all and end all of home movies [Mad]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I think you are partly on the right track but I also think it's a bit deeper than that.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Total support on my part. Most of the super 8 films in my collection were bought from UK sellers. I'd say the UK, Germany and Austrailia are the tops for finding super 8 sound films. There is a lot std 8 and super 8 silent here in the US.

I guess the best way to stop these rumors is to buy more films and try to expose any suspected false gossip.

I am a card carrying member of the film collecting party. [Eek!]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 26, 2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann put Super 8 back on the map for me so if you need some undercover work here in the states I can get Doug, myself and some others to do some dirty work for you..in case you want us to.. :0

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 26, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,

We'll dump 'em in New Joisey like dat Hoffa guy....

Know what I'm sayin'??!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 26, 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in!

Derann was one of the very first websites I discovered when I re-awakened my passion for super-8 in late 2004... and the fella who's doing these disgusting deeds will have to deal with me!!!

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 07:03 AM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for a great response guys, it would seem that I am not the only one who is fed up with these stupid rumours.

I have already started the ball rolling -
and a big thank you to everyone that has emailed me regarding this.

(Please be aware that any email that I do receive will be treated in the strictest confidence)

I will keep you posted on this

Kind regards

Adrian

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 07:33 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

I am obviously not sufficiently well connected to hear these idiotic rumours and I will certainly email you if I should hear of any. Yes do please name and shame the sad git or gits who are doing this. I would also propose we use the one reel of super8 I still have that is nice and vinegary to tie them up with [Big Grin]

Whilst writing, can I complement you on the quality of the Madagascar Penguin print.

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 27, 2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with Tony. That looked like 16mm or even 35mm quality.

Superb.

Kev.

--------------------

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tony (and Kevin).

It is good to hear that you are pleased with the quality.

Dad, always strived to get the best, and we will always continue in that vein - obviously depending on what master material we can obtain.

Kind regards

Adrian

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 27, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Adrian that all that hard work is much appreciated by all on the forum. A Big thanks.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian

Welcome to the forum!

I fully concur with all that has been said and think it is great that you are taking this stand to find the source of these ridiculous rumours, I doubt there's anything I can do to help but for what it's worth you have my full support.

As Barry mentioned, it's great that you are taking this stance, you're probably aware that your Dad was a regular contributor to this forum in the early days and encouraged many of us to join by recommending it in the Derann Newsletter and in the pages of FFTC, we all miss him and his postings, and I'm sure everyone here is pleased to see you join our numbers.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a direct quote from issue 15 [the current one] of PROJECTIONS magazine, page 38
....... ".and Derann dropping the Birmingham Convention this year,with rumours that they are about to announce some big news regarding their future, this doesn't leave us with a great deal of confidence on the future of new film material..." end quote
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 28, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, that appeared around the same time that Adrian announced in FFTC that there has recently been a significant increase in the sale of new Derann prints!

I feel there's something which we can all learn from this, because anyone can innocently mention a 'rumour' to someone that's liable to take it too seriously. I suggest that we don't pass on or give publicity to any 'rumours' of this kind, unless we have personally checked them out with the event or dealer, and can be 100% sure that the information is correct.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 03:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
i think its the same sort of people who laughed at derek simmonds when he kept the super8mm flag flying during the video boom of the 1980s.im sure everyone thought that he was mad within the industry at that time.he replied in movie maker many times during this time.the point is derek simmonds was right those who said super8 was dead and buried were wrong.after all how many still have their vcrs from that time?.the super8 projectors are still purring away.thanks to all the team at derann film services ltd for the brillant work you do to bring light to our projectors.andy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC