8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Re-recordings with a PC (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Re-recordings with a PC
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 29, 2015 08:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing Steve:

- Which lubrication is the best (FilmGuard vs Vita vs ...)

or another one may be:

- Is "Rose" a good digest? (...eerrrrrr..yes...)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 29, 2015 09:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tape or Cement???!!!!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Dee
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2015 09:22 PM      Profile for Tom Dee   Email Tom Dee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound like a dumb question, but if you have a 400ft reel that lets say has a lot of action in it..but its not the complete scene will the GS1200 automatically stop and start when it detects the pulse for the scene..for example say you play a boxing movie..the original fight scene lasts for 4 mins on the dvd un-edited, but your scene that you have on film lasts for only 3 minutes..because it has be edited for time. How does the GS cope with that.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2015 09:36 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I'm out of the loop about Pedro, what happened to him?

Tom, I've rarely taken this sort of thing on because the method you're describing - with the pulse and projector discontinuous - produces a quickly rising/falling pitch change at the stopping points and would be pretty much distracting, if not worth a good laugh, to your audience. And so the only way around that is to edit your sound source to exactly coincide with the picture. I've found that to be a LOT of work! Whether it's worth it, and the hassles of learning software and getting media gathered in, is up to you.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2015 12:48 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bill, pedro was having some health problems and seems to have stepped away from super 8, shut down his web site to work on his health.

The thing I have never understood about this was what kind of cable do you use to go from the computer output into just 2 pins on the ESS input? It seems to need to be some homemade cable, yet no one ever posted a picture.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, there is a picture of the pin out on the ess socket of the gs 1200 elmo, as you look at the socket from the rear of the machine, there are 6 pins including a centre pin, its the two bottom pins that are used, the pin just below the centre pin and to its left is pin 5 earth, and the pin immediately to the right of this is pin 4 pulse in. You can get the din plugs for these still, you just have to decide what goes on the other end, mine is a 3.5mm mini jack plug, or you could use a phono plug. I used audacity to produce the square wave pulse to lock the elmo to centre position for syncing up to the sound.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2015 11:35 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
yes I understand where the plug in goes, but could someone please show a picture of what this finished cable you are using actually looks like .. Are you soldering together some new cable together from a typical 3.5mm mini plug? If so what wire gets soldered to which wire? and what does the final version look like? Does the side that plugs into the GS still have 6 pins with only 2 of them being connected? or is it some unique creation that only has 2 pins?--I understand the concept but I cannot for some reason visualize what this cable looks like... [Confused]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 01, 2015 01:05 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dino,
So when I did it I had to get 2 parts.
This one from Mouser Electronics:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/172-2006/?qs=%2fha2 pyFaduiW9G5FizzDAYIp5WWoIIb2K%252b7lvfsFjmk%3d

And then this other part:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/17PP048-EX/?qs=%2fh a2pyFadujKdR3VHLThwHsuDURQAXRo5M1f%2f6xSRXo%3d

Then you have to connect the 2 wires to the proper pins on the DIN plug. I had an Electronic Engineer do that for me and then you can use the audio out on your computer, mine uses a mini jack, and then plug in the other end, the DIN plug to your GS1200 and then the software that I use, Logic, will emit a signal of 29.97FPS and the GS1200 will lock into that Frame rate and will not drift! Simple! Well..sort of. [Smile]
Good luck!
 -
The GS1200 only uses 2 pins off of that DIN plug so you just need to find out which pins get soldered to the 2 wires coming off the end of the mini jack.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2015 01:42 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, thank you! I feel sometimes like a few pics can solve any confusion on the forum, since for whatever reason sometimes things just don't translate until you can see it [Eek!]

--------------------

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dino, a picture paints a thousand words. This cable is similar to mine, except I fitted a stereo 3.5 mm cable and sent the mono sound to the main channel for recording on the elmo, so the din plug to the ess and a mono 3.5mm to the main channel in and using virtual dj software this can play both sound on one deck, and the pulse on the other. I used twin screen and earth to make up the cable.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 01, 2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about needing a picture. When I worked for Crest Film Labs in Hollywood many moons back one of the lab managers tried to explain A Wind and B Wind. I just couldn't get it so he had to take a piece of paper and draw it out for me. I finally got..I think I forgot it now though! [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2015 03:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Paul, your information is pure gold! I'd caution everyone concerning one little detail, however, and that is that the mini plug pictured is one of the 2-conductor mono variety. No computer audio jack is mono. So that means using such a plug is shorting together the L/R outputs (if aligned correctly) and that may not be the best thing to do to your electronics.

Simple solution is to get a 3-conductor (T/R/S) plug and only use one of the channel outputs plus the ground, discarding the other signal.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 08, 2015 04:11 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
yep, really pleased you are happy with your results Bill, but you are absolutely correct Sir, always use a Stereo 3·5mm mini jack when connecting to your computer's audio output. ( the type with two black bands )

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC