8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More GS Trouble (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: More GS Trouble
Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 25, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT SURE DOES KEV! EXCEPT FOR ONE THING, I WOULD LIKE YOUR INPUT.

1)ON MY ELMO GS1200 THE WIRE DOES HIT MY LENS ASSEM. WHEN I CLOSE THE LENS DOOR, IT SEEMS LOCK INTO A "GROOVE" ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LENS ASSEM. AND THE PROJECTOR WORKS OK...I GUESS?

2) ...OR I CAN MAKE SURE THAT THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN BY "HOLDING THE WIRE DOWN" AND CLOSING THE LENS WITHOUT HITTING THE WIRE. THIS WAY THE WIRE SEEMS TO BE FREE OR HAVE MORE FREE PLAY (THE ROLLER ASSEM UNDER THE WIRE)

IN EXAMPLE #1 ABOVE,

.. THE LENS "DOOR", AS YOU SWING IT CLOSED, CAN LITERALLY "BOUNCE OFF THE WIRE" AND NOT CLOSE IF YOU DON'T "PUSH IT THROUGH" THE RESISTANCE OF THIS WIRE TO THE LOCK POSITION. ALL SEEMS WELL EXCEPT THIS WIRE DOES INDEED HIT THE LENS BOTTOM EVERY TIME AND CAUSE RESISTANCE FOR SURE...IT SEEMS TO "LODGE" ITSELF PERFECTLY INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE LENS ASSEMBLY AS THE LENS IS BEING SWUNG SHUT INTO IS LOCK POSITION.
MY QUESTION IS THIS CONTACT CORRECT...? SHOULD THE LENS ASSY COME INTO CONTACT WITH THIS WIRE AT ALL ON THE 1ST GENERATION OF ELMO GS1200'S?

Pat Carpino

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 25, 2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia,
Here is what I believe is the area of concern, based on your description:

-

The wireform (22) should lie perfectly flat as shown in the picture. It should not be hitting anything, either in the open or closed position of the swinging lens mount.
Make sure of the following:

1. The wire form is shaped and located just like in the picture, and is not loose.

2. The wireform is centered and is not hitting the spring loaded pressure plate (3)

3. Use the two screws (12) to loosen and center the wireform so that it does not hit pressure plate (3), then tighten up both (12's).

When you close the hinged lens assembly, it clicks into place as a result of the conical pin (10) engaging a shaped spring steel plate bolted to the main chassis (not shown above). This is perfectly normal, and is unrelated to any issues you may have with the little wireform below the lens holder, as described above.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 25, 2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PAUL...

REMEMBER EARLY IN THIS SAME POST THAT YOUR WERE TELLING BRIAN TO ADJUST THE ROLLERS IN THE SOUND DRUM AREA? OK, THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEM IS....NOT IN THE FILM GATE BUT JUST BELOW IN THE AREA YOU TOLD BRIAN TO ADJUST THE ROLLER! IN THE ELMO SERVICE MANUAL ITS FIG. 20 ON PAGE 43. THERE IS A CIRCLE AROUND THE "PART" IN QUESTION (MY PROBLEM AREA). THERE IS A "OLD" AND A "NEW" IN THE MANUAL WITH A CIRCLE AROUND THE PART. THATS MY PART! ITS THE SAME PART WITH A ROLLER ON IT THAT YOU HI-LIGHTED IN YELLOW TO BRIAN THE OTHER DAY. THIS IS THE "PART" WITH THE WIRE CONNECTED TO IT...BUT IN THE GS1200 SER. MANUAL I SEE THE ROLLER PART BUT NO "SPRING WIRE" CONNECTED TO IT? I.E. ON PAGE 43 IN THE MANUAL, RIGHT ABOVE FIG. 20 IS THIS PART WITH A CIRCLE AROUND IT CALLED "OLD"...THAT MY PART THAT THE "WIRE IS CONNECTED TO! YOU CANT SEE THIS WIRE IM TALKING ABOUT IN THE FIG. WITH THE CIRCLE AROUND IT? FUNNY, BUT IT'S CONNECTED TO THIS PART FOR SURE! I THINK ITS PART OF THE LOOP SYSTEM BECAUSE IT BUMPS THE FILM LOOP WHEN THE FILMS BEING PROJECTED. (HOPE I GAVE YOU ENOUGH AND NOT TO MUCH MUMBO JUMBO.)

Pat Carpino

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 25, 2006 09:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K.,I think we're finally talking about the same spring. it is red in the diagram below:

-

It is also shown as item 2 of fig22 on page 45.

The spring folds under the green plastic rocker arm as shown, so that when the rocker moves anticlockwise (to engage the sound head pressure pads and large roller aginst the brass capstan roller), the spring loads the little roller down onto the film. This is the anti-flutter roller that Kev was talking about. The wire spring should be bent as required to get the 1.5 to 2.0mm spacing shown on page 37 Fig 16 of the manual. This spring definately should NOT hit the lens assembly-and it should NOT contact the lower film loop when the film is running.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 25, 2006 10:17 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B.I.N.G.O. ....THAT'S THE WIRE...!!!

THANKS PAUL AND YA' ALL..!!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 26, 2006 01:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I need to correct you on that advice with this spring. Do not bend the spring to adjust the gap. This gap is controlled by the position of the Pad Lever's position. Once this adjustment is done you can then bend the spring slightly to achieve the correct spring pressure of the small roller.
The pressure range is so great that it never needs bending.

If this spring is touching the lens holder it has either jumped out from under the Green Pad Lever or is attached incorrectly to the small rollers assay. It is attached by 2 tiny screws and once these are released the spring can be moved forward or back to make sure it doesnt come in contact with the lens holder. Too do this however the small roller assay and its bracket have to be removed.

If you start to bend this spring too much you can either get to the point where the roller is not doing its job or you will increase the wear in the metal guide the roller presses the film on.

It's important when reading the manual that the steps are followed in the correct order as one adjustment oftens has an impact on another adjustment. Just dont make an adjustment without first seeing if it has an impact on another one first.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I want to make the point that the manual should be read properly before making any adjustment which could have an impact on the running performnce of the machine. Unless you have the proper tools for doing these measurements or you can see a very obvious problem leave well alone.
This precious film we put through our machines could be damaged through improper adjustments. [Frown]

With this particular problem that Patricia has I would prefer to see a picture of that area of the machine to see how that spring is actually sitting before giving any advice as to the cure as it should not be touching the lens holder.

Here endeth todays lesson [Big Grin]

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 26, 2006 10:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's for setting me straight Kev. This is an area where evidently the adjustments are fairly critical, and a little knowledge is dangerous, probably not suprising in view of the complexity of the GS design. Presumably, those gram tension guage load values in the diagrams are there for a reason! (incidentally, where would you get those things?).
From Patricia's description, it sounds like the wire spring on her machine is way out of position. Hopefully, she will now have enough information to start to correct the problem. But as you say, if she could post a photo it would help a lot.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 26, 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELLO: GENTS ...

Yes I do understand the gravity of this situation!

Now, with new wisdom , I will walk slowly from this point on. I have to find my digital cam., here someplace, and I will post a shot prior to the "operation". I have temp. bent the spring away from the lens and "dipped" it under the "green plastic PART, but just making it....just enough to contact it, so it will work and press down the roller properly, and the projector's sound is a tad+ better for sure! (BEFORE IT WAS BENT STRAIGHT OUT AND WOULD COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE BOTTOM OF THE LENS EVERY TIME I SHUT THE DOOR. THIS WOULD IN TURN "FREEZE THE ROLLER" AND MY FILM WAS "LOOPING PROPER" BUT WITHOUT THE ROLLER "PINNING" IT DOWN) Now I need to Post a good Picture because I understand this has to be done properly:

1) I NEED TO KNOW IF MY SPRING IS "LONG ENOUGH" AND HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN TO SHORT TO MAKE THE BENDS PROPER TO REACH UNDER THE GREEN PLASTIC PIECE. (I CAN'T SEE IN THE MANUAL ANY VIEW FROM THE "TOP" SHOWING THE ACTUAL SPRING BEND UNDER THE GREEN PLASTIC ITEM.) I UNDERSTAND THE TWO "TINY SCREWS" ARE FOR ADJUSTMENT OF THIS SPRING. BUT HOW MUCH IS NEEDED TO GO UNDER I DON'T KNOW ...IT MUST JUST SIT THERE BECAUSE THERE IS NO GROVE OR SLOT FOR IT? (I.E... I WOULD GUESS IT WOULD BE BENT UNDER AT A 45 DEG. ANGEL SO TO SPEAK.)

2) I ALSO NEED TO KNOW IF THE "GREEN PLASTIC PIECE" IS ADJUSTABLE VIA THE "TWO SCREWS" IN THE BASE OF THE PIECE, AND IF THIS CONTROL'S THE "RESTING OR STOP" POSITION OF THE PIECE? I THINK I HAVE TO ADJUST THIS GREEN PLASTIC AT "STOP PROJECTON" POSITION PRIOR TO THE 1.5 TO 2MM ADJUST OF THE ROLLER PART ..CORRECT? (ILL POST PIC ASAP!) THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Pat Carpino

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 27, 2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
So it sonds like the small spring was not hooked under the lever which was the reason for the problem. Patricia, I take it that with the spring now under the lever the spring now clears the lens holder?

What you was saying in number 3 is spot on. You loosen the two hex screws and move the lever (stop position) untill you achieve that 1.5 - 2.0mm gap.

If the gap does look ok then leave well alone. Notice at the pivot point where the lever is attached that the shaft sits about 1mm inside the lever's bush. This is normal and is the way it should be set. If you do remove the 2 hex screws but the lever wont adjust then you will have to yank it right off and then you will find that the shaft has two burrs from the hex screws which stops the lever rotating. Clean the off burrs with fine sandpaper then you should find that the lever will slide back on and will allow you to rotate it on the shaft.

Put it back in a position which gives you the 1.5 - 2.0mm clearance for the small roller and 3.0 - 4.0mm between the capstan and pinch roller.

It would be a good idea to check first the the spring in question isnt badly bent. I will try to find the spare I have and photograph it for you over this weekend.

Paul, I dont know where you buy those spring balance items shown in the front of the manual. The ones I have I got from Elmo direct. They are probably still available from a scientific lab suppliers.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2006 07:30 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,

Nice diagrams but Where did you get those from ??

Can you buy copies of this manual??

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2006 08:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
Yes, I bought my GS1200 Service Manual from OldTimer Cameras in the UK. I think it cost me about $60.00. Every GS1200 owner should have one. They have instructions and service manuals for just about any piece of cine equipment ever made:

http://www.oldtimercameras.com/

You can also download the manual from the 8mm forum, but god knows how long that would take!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 27, 2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! PAUL...?

THAT PIC. IS UNIQUE..IS THAT "IN" THE REG. ELMO GS1200 SERVICE MANUAL I DOWN LOADED FROM THIS FORUM LINK? ALSO YOU WERE SHOWING US THE POSITION OF THE "GREEN PLASTIC PIECE" WITH THE "OUTLINE IN RED OF THE SPRING GOING UNDER"...! IS THIS YOUR "HIGHLIGHT" and IS THIS THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE WIRE SPRING AS IT SHOULD SIT UNDER THE "GREEN PLASTIC" PIECE? I see THE DOTTED LINE SHOWING IT GO'S UNDER...JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT HOW IT IS TO GO UNDER THE GREEN PLASTIC.

Getting it together...thanks to everyone!

Patricia Carpino

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Patricia,
The last picture I posted was from fig 16 of Page 37 of the service manual. I highlighted the wire in red, and put in the dashed red line myself, solely to indicate that the wire end goes under the green plastic piece. The diagram in the service manual is actually an approximation of the shape and location of the wire- it actually sits under the green plastic piece close to the innermost 'step' on the green plastic piece- not quite as shown in the Elmo diagram. Maybe if Kev posts a picture it will clarify things for you.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 27, 2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS PAUL...!

YES KEV..

IF YOU CAN POST A PIC IT WOULD BE GREAT...! ALSO IS THE MESURMENT YOU MENTIONED EARLIER ( 3.0 - 4.0mm between the capstan and pinch roller) IS THE CAPSTAN THE "SOUND DRUM GOLD SHAFT" AND THE PINCH ROLLER THE "BOTTOM RUBBER ROLLER" UNDER THE GREEN PLASTIC PIECE? I KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO MEASURE THE FIRST ADJUSTMENT BUT NOT SURE ON THIS SECOND ADJUSTMENT OF 3.0-4.0MM?
CHEERS

Pat

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that link to OldTimerCameras.

I will definitly order one

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 30, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Manaul is on the forum here and the total file size is about 20MB which if you have broadband will take no time at all to download.

I ran out of time over the weekend to sort a pic out but I will do my best over the next couple of nights.

Kev.

--------------------

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted October 30, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 30, 2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia, That spring is now in the right place but it should be sitting a bit further forward. The two screws need to be slackened off and the spring moved forward to make sure it sits under the guide further with out being able to slip out which I'm sure it will as it is at present.

To get to the screws you will need to remove that roller assay. If you push the roller up while in the stop position you should the a see a small screw which holds the bracket in place. If you undo this screw the whole assay will come away from the machine. Tip: put a piece of "Blu Tak" onto the tip of a very small cross head screwdriver so you dont loose the tiny screw into the machine.

-

On the later machines the spring is secured on the top of the assay. I assume this is to save you from having to take the assay off if adjustment is needed. You can see on my machine that the spring is set much further forward than on yours. I dont see any reason why you cant put the spring on the top like this.

It looks like yours is an early version machine but the adjustment of this part is the same.

Hope this helps.

Looks like my machine could do with a good clean [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

[ October 30, 2006, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia - Sorry to hear you are having GS trouble... but I must admit I am glad it is not just me! I have just shipped my projector back to the repair guy I use for the third time in the last few weeks. I think I am having trouble with the same parts as you are. All my sound is like everyone is underwater... total warbling and music sounds absolutely horrible. Plus, I'm not getting any Optical sound at all AND there's a loud buzz/crackle in my speaker. In rewind mode the buzz is so bad you have to hold your ears! This is a real bummer because I had my scheduled Halloween movie show over the weekend and I had to forget about all the stereo films I had planned and resort to my ST800 which is NOT the same thing, although noone seemed to complain. Anyway, rather than mess around with my GS I have sent it off to an expert but I'm starting to think it's never going to work right again! I'll let everyone know what happens...

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia - Sorry to hear you are having GS trouble... but I must admit I am glad it is not just me! I have just shipped my projector back to the repair guy I use for the third time in the last few weeks. I think I am having trouble with the same parts as you are. All my sound is like everyone is underwater... total warbling and music sounds absolutely horrible. Plus, I'm not getting any Optical sound at all AND there's a loud buzz/crackle in my speaker. In rewind mode the buzz is so bad you have to hold your ears! This is a real bummer because I had my scheduled Halloween movie show over the weekend and I had to forget about all the stereo films I had planned and resort to my ST800 which is NOT the same thing, although noone seemed to complain. Anyway, rather than mess around with my GS I have sent it off to an expert but I'm starting to think it's never going to work right again! I'll let everyone know what happens... [Mad]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 30, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia, clean up that machine so it looks like Kev's! For super 8 your projector has to be cleaned before every show, otherwise you will get oxide dust particles all over your films, and scratch them as well. It should look like it just came out of the shipping box. Wipe the whole film path with a q-tip moistened with furniture polish then use an air can to blow out any remaining debris. Use alcohol on the rubber rollers and brass sound capstan. And lube your films for smooth, quiet running.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted November 04, 2006 09:58 AM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PAUL... GLAD YOU BROUGHT UP THAT SUBJECT OF "CLEANING"! I AGREE BOTH PROJECTOR AND PRINTS SHOULD BE KEPT SPOTLESS TO KEEP "SCRATCH" MARKS FROM OUR PRINTS.
SO HERE IS MY QUESTION: I WAS RUNNING A I.B. PRINT IN 16MM AND MY PROJECTOR IS MINT NEW AND THE PRINT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN THE PRINT LOST ITS LOOP AND STARTED CHATTERING IN THE GATE SO I HAD TO "RE-SET" THE LOOP AND IT STOPPED. THERE ARE NO SPLICES OR SPROCKET HOLE DAMAGE ON THE FILM AT ALL. I NEVER LUBE MY FILMS IF THEY ARE MINT. SHOULD I LUBE MY SUPER 8MM MINT PRINTS AND MY 16MM PRINTS BESIDE CLEAN THEM SPORADICLY.

HELP ???

PAT

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia,

It is difficult to believe that there were not
any sprocket damage or splices in your 16mm IB Tech
film, which caused it to go wacky.
But as it did happen, it could be a cause of twisted,
warped or shrunken film.

Please note that when projecting 16mm IB Tech Film,
you should turn the film on the take up reel in the opposite
direction.

What I mean to say is that as the film comes off
the last roller or sprocket wheel, it shoul not
follow with the film sprockets on the same side as they
entered the projector. They should instead rest on the
take - up reel in the opposite direction. Thus,
the film has a slight reverse twist between the take - up
and before it rests on the reel. This exercise helps the film.

Paul had written:

[/QUOTE] Patricia, clean up that machine so it looks like Kev's! For super 8 your projector has to be cleaned before every show, otherwise you will get oxide dust particles all over your films, and scratch them as well. It should look like it just came out of the shipping box. Wipe the whole film path with a q-tip moistened with furniture polish then use an air can to blow out any remaining debris. Use alcohol on the rubber rollers and brass sound capstan. And lube your films for smooth, quiet running.

I trust Paul's opinion implicitly,
but I am myself very wary in using furniture
polish on the GS 1200.

His theory in using furniture polish is
correct. Because Furniture Polish - ie: 'Pledge'
has silicones in the ingredients. It is the silicones
that make the furniture shine with glory.
The irony is that, it is these same silicones that are harmful
to wood furniture finishes.

Silicone can be helpful in making the film less
abrasive and with less noise as it passes through
the gate. It can also prevent wear to the metal parts
and to the film.

Many years ago, there was a product known as: Surfaset.
It was manufactured as a liquid, and was also sold
impregnated in flannel clothes.
To many collectors
and film users, this was very good.

There are some film users and hobbyists that do not
reccommend Surfaset or any silicones, because they
believe that too much - which can also be very little,
will migrate onto switches and electronic parts causing
damage.

I do not wish to sound contradictory, but I use Surfaset
and have the last of a limited supply left over.
I do not believe that it is made any longer.
This product was specially made for vinyl records
and film. I also use it very sparingly.

Also, Film Renew is a recommended film cleaner,
conditioner and lubricant. It can be placed on the
surface of film and also wiped along the guide rails
or metal surfaces of the projector.
It is not a very slow drying, and neither a fast drying
cleaner because the properties remain on the
film for a considerable amount of time.
Basically, Film Renew is a Stoddard Solvent.
This is akin, but not the same as paint thinner
becuase paint thinner is also a Stoddard Solvent.

Many new prints that are being made today
have qualities in the surface of the film that when
you touch it, you can feel how smooth and lubricated
it already feels. That is the best part about today's film
prints. On the other hand, it is always the stripe
that needs lubricating.

Film Guard is a very slow drying cleaner and
lubricant. Many hobbyists picked up on this product,
because it had been used by 35 mm users.
It remains wet on the surface of the film. This is helpful
with films that have a lot of surface wear, because it hides
the blemishes. On the other hand, if you have tape splices
or tape that holds down the ends of the film, it will soften
the splices. A softened tape splice, is one that no longer
appears clear, but now has a milky appearance.

People will even soak - warped or buckled films in Film renew,
and then reverse the back wind the films and let them set
for several months - the films will go back to their original
flat shape. Remember: if prints are soaked and if they have tape splices,
the splices will appear milky and will soften and fall apart.

Back to where I left off: after soaking, collectors will leave the film on the reel -
'tails out' and against the buckle or twist to flatten the
film to its original shape, after it has been soaked and it
is allowed to air dry prior to projecting again.

This also recalls to what I mentioned earlier about
turning the film on the take - up reel when projecting
IB Tech prints. As you know, IB Tech prints are black & white
stock prints, with color dyes imbibed into the stock of the film.

There have also been some lubricants that when left on the film,
have also migrated onto the plastic reels, causing damage to the
plastic reel. Some of these fast drying cleaners were notorious
for damaging the plastic reels. I have experienced this,
and do not recommend fast drying cleaners.

About using alcohol on the rubber rollers? That is your call.
Use it carefully.

Some manufactures, never suggested alcohol use on rollers
of tape players or tape recorders, because of fear in drying the
rollers - and causing them to harden.

See what they say at Radio Shack about this. That's if
you get a person that knows their stuff. Otherwise,
they just employ nut jobs that don't know anything - let
alone what time it is to go home and lock - up.
As a matter of fact, some of these employees should be locked-up.
[Wink]

If this is note is offensive in any way - I apologize.
It was just meant to be kept simple and not to offend anyone.
The members of this Forum are terrific.
Good luck with your collecting.

[Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Patricia Carpino
Junior

- posted November 04, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Patricia Carpino   Email Patricia Carpino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIKE: THANKS...

ARE YOU SAYING, THAT WHEN PROJECTING A I.B. PRINT, IT IS GOOD PRACTICE, AND GOOD FOR THE FILM STOCK, TO "PUT A TWIST" ON THE FILM SO THAT WHEN IT COMES OFF THE LAST ROLLER ON TO THE TAKE UP REEL, THE FILMS SPROCKET HOLES WILL BE LAYING ON THE TAKE UP REEL IN THE OPPOSITE OF NORMAL TAKE UP?

IF THIS IS TRUE.... DO I STORE THE FILM WITH THIS TWIST TILL MY NEXT SHOW?

OUTSIDE OF THE DANGER OF "SPLICES BECOMING LOOSE" IS THERE ANY HARM IN STORING OR SOAKING SUPER 8MM OR 16MM IN FILM RENEW OR FILM GUARD. (I.E. IS THERE A SUCH THING AS TO MUCH LEFT ON THE FILM DURING STORAGE TILL THE NEXT RUN...WHICH CAN BE A YEAR OR TWO?)

WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO VITA FILM? THAT WAS A FAST DRY SUBSTANCE THAT WAS THE SAME AS PAINT THINNER I RECALL HEARING?

THANKS

PAT

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2006 11:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patricia,

I own a few reels with IB Tech. But have not used this technique
of twisting the film, when projecting films.

I for one, am a little faint of heart. So, I do not twist the IB Tech film.
Because I am afraid that something can go wrong during the program.

A fellow 16mm collector Ray Faiola, uses this technique,
in twisting the IB Tech film onto the take-up so it lays in the
opposite direction. Ray stated this on the 16mm Film Talk forum,
and I also noted this at one of his screenings a while back.

I am just sharing the information.

In a similar fashion, as I stated earlier - I use
Surfaset, and Paul uses Furniture Polish. - They both
have silicone in it.

Many people refrain from using any silicone based
treatment any where near their films and projectors.

Some people, another friend in (New Britain, CT ) wishes that he
had Surfaset to use on some of his 16mm Agfa prints,
because the Agfa's seem to chatter a little bit, and Surfaset
would help this issue with some of his prints.

This goes back to what I had mentioned earlier about prints made
today have a quality that they seem almost as if they are lubed
from being released.

Which brings us to another dimension - how are films treated and
stored?

Acetate film needs to breathe. It also needs to remain
in a stable enviornment that is not damp or subject to high
temperature and high humidity. Sometimes sealed plastic
cans are not good for film. The cardboard boxes are always better.

How are films placed on a reel?
Is the reel in good shape or poor shape?

As Chip Gelmini mentioned a while back, he
takes great care in mounting the films on quality
take up reels. He has also devised a method to
ensure proper take-up during his programs.
In the long run, it affects the film and the quality
of the sound and projection.

For the most part, many film libraries, store the film
in an upright or vertical postion. The debate
ensues, that films placed in a horizontal or flat - stacked
position, is better for film storage.

Another idea worth noting is that it is best to
rewind the films on rewinds. Either Hand or Electric.
I prefer Hand rewinds. It permits me to control the wind
onto the reel. Not too tight, and not too loose.

If a film is wound too loose, it can buckle and warp.
If it is wound too tight, then it does not have the tolerance
to breathe properly.

It is also good to lubricate the films, and store them so that
they can air dry prior to projecting. If wound too tight,
then they will remain wet. If they are stored wet,
then they can buckle and warp.

It is not good to store films away when they are wet.
Yes, too much left on the film, is not good to store films away wet for a full year
or more.

When you had asked do I store the film away with a twist until the next show?
I have a few B&W titles that I have soaked, rewound in the opposite
direction against the twist, and permitted them to air dry.

I have then gone back and watched the film, and found that it had
either taken the 'egg shape' out of the take-up on the reel or
it had lessened or flattened the twist in the film that caused it to
pop the focus out of sharpness on the screen. These problematic
films have taken several attempts to remedy, and I have left these
black and white titles back wound for a few months and a few years.

I have not used Film Guard. But only have purchased films
from collectors that have used this product and have sold
me their films with this product on it.
The Properties of Film Guard are very slow drying.
It is a good product, and I found that the splices
look milky and no longer clear. It makes me wonder
if the splices will last? Film Guard unlike Film Renew,
dries very slow. Film Renew dries slow, but not as slow
as Film Guard.

Another thing about the Film Guard is that
the film is lubricated so well, that you do not
even hear it going through the projector.

I don't remember the name of one product that
Derann sold at one time, but when applied,
it smelled as if it were made from camphor or moth balls.
It was great stuff, and the film glided through the projector
with out a sound.

Let alone that this product was packaged in a red colored tin,
and was sold with a skull and cross bones
on the sticker label !

I have not soaked a print in Film Renew to test the integrity
of the splices after soaking, but have used Film Renew and
find that it is a quality product.

Film Renew is similar to Vita Film, but without the strong odor.

Vita film is available again.

Hope this helps and is not confusing.
It's all a matter of trying it out,
but it's good to inquire first.

Until another time.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC