8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Paypal Poll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paypal Poll
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 19, 2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would more people make purchases from Derann if they accepted Paypal? I'll start it off. I would! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 04:16 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paypal is great but I am also happy giving Derann my credit card info... I have never had a problem going that route. Anyway, isn't the exchange rate worse with Paypal? I seem to be getting slammed with the fees. It is literally more than double the pound price lately when converted to dollars.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Though It's been okay to pay by credit card, I don't know if they keep the number handy, as I bought one film one month, and then another the next month, and I had to send my credit card info again.

It's not a big deal, as I seperate my credit card number info over two or three e-mails, (for security reasons), but every time I send credit card info over e-mails, there's always a slight chance that someone could intercept that info.

So I would prefer that they took paypal. It would make things easier.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 19, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, when you purchase something from the U.K. Paypal has a currency selector, so pay with the British Sterling Pounds option. I don't see what the exchange rate has to do with Paypal fees costing more.

In the past I have purchased films with a credit card(I think it was twice), but now I do not. I only use a credit card for emergencies.

Paypal is quick, easy and safe if you follow their guidelines for protection.

[ March 21, 2007, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Peter Richards
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 04:55 PM      Profile for Peter Richards   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i don't own a credit card,i've not had one in years and never ever want one ever again.

At the moment i use Postal orders to purchase items from Derann but i would welcome it if they decided to use PayPal,it's fast and safe.

Of course they would have to charge to use the service but i think there sales would increase.

Take Larry Urbanski,he accept's PayPal and makes it real easy to purchase films from him this side of the pond

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 19, 2007 07:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who the heck is Larry Urbanski? Is he another unknown film business or just a private film seller?

Just curious

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2007 11:02 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use my VISA a lot-all over the place.however,I LIKE Paypal.It is easy and ultra secure.I've had a couple of deals on eBay(in over 1,000)go wrong,Paypal sorted things for me!)Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 02:09 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem giving Gary my credit card number (and that's a debit card, not a credit card), but Paypal is fine.

Osi : Larry Urbanski is a fine dealer in the US, he's Mister Film Renew and a distributor for Neumade products.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 02:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Urbanski can supply all your film needs on that side of the pond and is also the supplier of FilmRenew.

Urbanski Films

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 03:21 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 03:22 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 05:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas, I'm not sure it would be more expensive for Derann. The use of credit/debit cards isn't free on a seller's end. It depends on how much their own bank charges them. There's no such thing as free banking. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchase new Derann prints from Dave Thomas Films here in The States. He is an authorized dealer for Derann. I've been doing business with him through mailorder, long before ebay.

He now has his store on ebay. This will allow you to use Paypal for your purchases.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 20, 2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link Kevin!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 01:36 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy, does Dave Thomas have access to Derann's complete stock of super 8 films(new)? I have bought quite a few films from Dave and I used Paypal! A super guy!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 03:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,
Derann have tried to keep the prices for new prints as low as possible for a good few years now, and I think I am correct in that they have not increased the price of new super 8 films for something like 4 years. I applaud this as I am sure we all do, so anything which just might tip the balance such as extra fees for them may well have to be passed onto us.

Bank business rates are horrendous, and you would not want to know what my business paid in bank charges last month. Lets hope we can continue to see Derann maintain the lowest prices for new 8mm films as they have been doing for a good few years now.

Good on ya Derann. Mines a Lager.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2007 04:16 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee!

Mines a Guinness!

Seriously, we do not feel the need to accept Paypal at this stage, as the vast majority of our customers appear happy to use their credit cards, etc.

Best As Always To You And Yours

Gary

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 07:12 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dave can get you anything Derann wise Dan, and looking at his ebay prices look to be about the same as here but hopefully less post for you.
Best Mark.
PS trailer etc land yet.?

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the trailers arrived in suberb order. Thanks again. [Smile]

Gary, I will not purchase with a credit card. I appreciate Derann making these wonderful prints available, but the "majority of your customers" would probably increase to a larger majority, as would the monority, if Derann used Paypal. It would appear you would be doing something good for your customer base(especially international), if you offered more payment options.

Lee, I do not think this would tip any balances, but rather increase business demand, which is good for busines, which is good for film buyers. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2007 11:30 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Perhaps there is a different banking system between USA and Indonesia, but, honestly, I don't see any different using Credit card (CC) or Paypal.

Paypal still use the details of our CC (or Debit Card), doesn't it? So where is the different?

And anyway, you also send the card details via internet when registering the paypal, didn't you? so again where is the different?

If you don't want to send the CC details via email/internet, why don't you send via normal mail and Derann keep the records.

Once again perhaps there is a different perseption, please expalin to enlighten me.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 22, 2007 12:19 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using my credit card with Derann for 13 years, never a problem, [Smile] except when my wife gets the end of the month statment [Eek!] and I get a thick ear [Frown] but usually I take her out for a meal or something just before it comes in the post, ah the hazardous life of film collecting. [Wink]

Graham [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC