8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is your favorite ALL-TIME release?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your favorite ALL-TIME release?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
having just answered a post about STAR WARS, (and what i said in the post), it gave me a thought as to what film would be your favorite Super 8 title?

This would be the film that, while it may not be your most financially valuable, it is the one that means the most to you, and this is because it arrived in your life at a significant moment, within a certian "environment" and this is what makes it vaulable.

I'll start with mine. It may seem redundant, but my pick is STAR WARS, BOTH 200FT. DIGEST AND 400FT. DIGEST.

This was a stellar movie to me, and right when I began to collect Super 8, I saw what was out there, old cartoons, old Castle film 200ft. editions, (sorry, I personally wasn't too impressed with those at the time), and though I had a few Tom and Jerrys and Disneys, I didn't think that this film would end up out on Super 8.

And, almost immediately, it was! I was stunned to see this film on the big screen. STAR WARS was perfectly timed for me, as I was 10 and a half when it came out, so I was still young enough to buy all the action figures and then through-out my teen years, the other two films would come out.

But, that first one was the big one for me!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 22, 2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No favorite, only favorites;

MAD WORLD
NORTHWEST PASSAGE
THE MUMMY (Karloff)
TITANIC (Stanwyck/Webb)
BANDOLERO
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
ALIEN
HOW THE WEST WAS WON
SUPERMAN
PATTON
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES
MY SISTER EILEEN

That's some of the gist, Shorty

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
For me, King Kong ('33). I got the Mountain 6-reel complete version when I was 17. I had started reading film history at about 14, and 'Kong' had become a huge favorite at an early age, inspiring my own animation attempts on Super-8.
What a joy it was to see this classic at home.

I am now 46 and I have 'Kong' in 16mm, but nothing will replace the original memory of when I got it in Super-8.

Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2007 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with "King Kong". Believe it or not the first time I saw that film was when I bought it back in the 1970's on super 8. I was truly amazed by the film and must have felt a bit like the original audiences who saw it for the first time in 1933. A couple of years ago I finally managed to get "The Most Dangerous Game" which was made on the same sets at the same time as Kong and I still get immense pleasure every time I watch them.
Paul.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 05:52 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airplane!,the 1200fter-very rewatchable for quite a time..... [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 23, 2007 06:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Limit 4 X 400ft Black & White in which George Formby wins the TT Motorcycle Races, the girl and sings some great 30's songs. Issued in 1935 but was not shown in West Germany until 1950, and in Japan in 56. Expect they could not stand to see someone riding around at speed on a bike or George with his little Ukelele in his hand..
 -

Me 25 years ago and yes I can play it. Look at all the hair I used to have !
 -

-

[ April 23, 2007, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of favorites....1. for sentimental reasons... Castle silent Bride of Frankenstein...I'm maybe 11. It's a white Christmas in Memphis (doesn't happen too often)...my mom hids the film inside another gift (a game of Sorry) . I had never seen the original feature....I was thrilled and surprised.
2. King Kong---this one in 16mm...my all time favorite and was the second 16mm film I collected. (I was 22). It's now six year old daughter's favorite film. 3. Derann's Thunderball---only got this one a few months ago, but its tremendous 35mm like quality has reenergized by Super 8 collecting bug and has gotten me acquainted with a super guy, Steve Osbourne and all the great services he provides for us U.S. collectors.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 23, 2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been hearing about this Steve Osbourne, but I've never been able to write him, what is his e-mail address?

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2007 08:13 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks!
My prefer one is " the ten commandments" theīreīs no other film on super 8mm that impreses me so much,the firs time i put the film on my elmo gs 1200 ,i make a show for a 150 guest and was a really amazing spectacle,thanks,Mr. De Mille for such a wonderfull film [Wink]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many to list, but the BEN HUR 3 x 400 foot is one.

Also, ALIEN (scope) feature.

Osi-

Steve Osborne publishes the super 8 magazine "The Reel Image" (formerly "Coming Attractions").

Its a great little magazine. And Steve is also the U.S. dealer for CHC and Derann Films. He also has monthly lists of used films for sale.

James.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 25, 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one film that stands out [Roll Eyes] I would say is the original "Star Wars" 400 footer way way back in 1977-78.

Graham [Smile]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 25, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Steve can be reached; Steve Osborne REEL-IMAGE 2520 Blackhawk Road, Kettering Ohio 45420 USA - Shorty

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2007 10:15 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

The Thunderball feature sounds great.
Is this complete and does it project
sharply in scope? I believe the original
release ran 2 hours and 5 minutes.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Xavier Gascon
Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 12:06 AM      Profile for Xavier Gascon   Email Xavier Gascon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite,

Buster Keaton's Sherlock Junior.

Best Regards
Xavier

Jorge Clemente Albert
Junior

- posted April 26, 2007 05:24 AM      Profile for Jorge Clemente Albert   Email Jorge Clemente Albert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody
The best movie for me ,is:
THE STING

[Wink] [Wink] JORGE [Wink] [Wink]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 08:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In short subjects,
I absolutely love any
Laurel and Hardy title, especially
The Music Box.

With that aside, any classic
golden feature, Disney vintage
and new releases.
Not to mention the great stuff
made today in CGI.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 10:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to reiterate, I remember how tickled pink, (and I'm usually a golden brown, hah!) I was when the 2nd 400ft. release of Star Wars was put out ... IN SCOPE!! It was one thing to see this film on 400ft alone, but to see that great last battle in scope,
years before the Derann release, was totally frickin AWESOME!!!

... and the colour has held up real well on this release!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm,

I was not aware that the 2nd part,
that included the Cantina and
Death Star attack was released
in Scope.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 27, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, please catch my earlier post on Steve Osborne's address - He's the man for film and accessories, Shorty

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2007 05:03 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Star 2x400, which I bought in 1982. It was the first "proper" film I ever bought. I subjected all my poor relatives to watching it!

I still prefer this cut to the full length one.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
The Derann Thunderball feature is very nice. It projects sharply. It was mastered from a theatrical print, so itīs missing frames here and there, especially close to the reel changes, also the editing differs slightly between this print and the PAL DVD in some scenes at Shrublands, so the easiest way to rerecord the sound properly is to first edit the soundtrack using some computer editing software, then record back to the 8mm print.

Cheers,
Lars

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 01:47 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to select ALIENS, partly because it's one of my favourite films, but also because I remember a memorable screening that seemed represented a step up in sheer class, in comparison to any previous shows I'd organised. The was a sense that the audience was simply watching 'the film' rather than an 8mm version of the film. And I have no other film on Super 8 that sustains the excellent quality for as long as 2 hours 17 minutes!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars,

Thanks for the heads up on
Thunderball. If I have the
opportunity to get a print,
the task of recording in NTSC
would become the next challenge
which may be interesting.

Speaking of Bond releases,
has anyone here raved about
the other Bond flick that has
circulated: You Only Live Twice?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 28, 2007 08:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Two sentimental favorites: The very first film I ever got, a 200' standard 8mm copy of Atlas Films "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman" (different than the Castle release), since that started me on this hobby and brings back great memories of my family gathered around that noisy Bell & Howell. Castle's "Have Badge, Will Chase" (excerpt from "A&C Meet The Keysyone Cops") is the other, because my parents had just bought me a sound projector and I loved that chase scene (and the music) as a kid.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2007 12:51 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is difficult, I may have to make several posts on this. Probably my all time favourite is the 400ft Ken "The Seven Year Itch". Whilst technically not one of the greatest (were any of Kens?) I just loved this Marilyn Monroe film. I still have it and it has been run many times since bought brand new in 1980.

Too many cartoons and shorts to mention, but I can tell you what my kids like, Disney. especially Micky, Donald and Goofy. Warners Bros - any and my Pink Panthers and Inspectors - the last good theatrical cartoon shorts made.

My most run standard 8mm films were Mountain's "Victim of the Devil" & "Walter Finds a father". I also had a Silver Screen release of Russians in Space.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC