8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I have been offered a Fumeo 9145… (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I have been offered a Fumeo 9145…
Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 02:15 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a nice dilemma, my Italian father-in-law has a Fumeo 9145 with a 500W Xenon lamp and extra large reels that he wants to sell and asked me to make him an offer. [Cool]

He’s the only owner and has kept that baby in pristine condition. It still looks brand new. What a beauty!

He is going to sell it because he no longer uses it. Other than keeping it in top condition by regular cleaning and maintenance, he hasn’t shown a movie in ages and at 83 years old he’s in not longer interested.

I have absolutely no idea what type of offer to make him but I am going to buy it whatever the cost. [Confused] [Confused]

Can I get some suggestions here?

Thank you

Jon

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 03:13 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should take some pictures first of the machine and then post them here! That way our italian members can take a look. The Fumeo's were handmade so there could be a lot of variables. First..was the machine built for the US market ie: 110 voltage. Also is it in Stereo? Does it record? Which lens does it have? Scope lens? Pedestal Model or Table top?
So many variables. If I were you I would offer him $500 and call it a day. [Smile]
Please take some pictures and post them. I for one would love to see one! I keep seeing the same pictures of the machine that is floating on the web. Ignacio's Machine!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 03:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Ignacio Benedetti from Spain then Alan. Coincidentally he's also into Triumph TR7's and TR8's so the pair of us have more in common than just cine. What a right pair of nutters eh?!?

I would say these Fumeo's, whatever model, in good condition are worth at least £800. The xenon's are probably worth more and if they have all the stereo and recording gubbings then they're possibly even more than that. So whichever model it turns out to be if you can get it for $1000 then you'll do well.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 07:53 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The right price of the 9145 with stereo feature is about 2500 euro. Anyway the stereo machine was available like request only. So it's hard to find a 9145 with this feature.
The 9145 is a wonderful machine, but by a two blades shutter the Elmo GS1200 Xenon is brighter than the italian projector.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 08:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon. It may be worth quite a bit if its all in working order and good condition. I would say around £1500 if mint.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 01:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon
Sounds fantastc, is there any chance you can run some film through it to try it out?, with Xenon lamps in general be careful not to run them without film in the gate for to long, only for a very short period, its the lens you have to protect from the heat, just be carefull with Xenon lamps especially handling them they can be dangerous, Xenon lamps have a life measured in hours so I wonder if your projector has a clock on it so you can get an idea of lamp life, look foward to here how you get on, with 500W at the gate it should be very impressive.

Graham.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the great tips and suggestions. This Fumeo has the stereo heads and the lens is a Vario Cinelux MC8 1.1 / 11-30mm zoom.

I am going to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with my in-laws (as I told my wife, “It’s time to visit your folks” [Wink] ). I will take a couple of my movies to watch.

I’ll probably make him an offer as I hope to bring it home with me when come back to New York in early December. [Smile] [Smile]

Thank you very much Graham the valuable tip about the lamps and yes, I’ll be running some films thru it.

I’ll post some pictures as soon as I can when I come back from my visit even If I don't get the projector.

Best,

Jon

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

"...even if I don't get the projector"....

Where to start..put a 'hold' on it, by any means necessary, until you get home and reassess things...DO NOT let it go, even if you don't feel you want/need it.

Think of the rest of us; slobbering at the description of a 500W Xenon machine...good god, man, think of England, in that wonderful old phrase (even if I am Danish and live in the US, I think I understand the meaning.)

It's a Fumeo. It's a Xenon Fumeo. For Super-8...I am in pain here. You have family on your side for the deal. Make it go to your home or be a true samaritan and save that wonderful device for someone here to buy. I can't say I have the cash for it, but someone here ought to have it, just for the cosmic justice of us being the protectors of this fine format.

Some of the above was written tongue-in-cheek, some of it was quite serious (in a nice way.)

Do let us know what happens.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 06, 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon don`t convert any UK values in to Dollars( Ie x2) as remeber you can buy the same with a dollar your way as a £1 gets you here.( I think also the euro is crazy against the $1 now)
So if you pay $1000 in the US its like paying £1000 here.
With him being family if he`s well off why not pay so much a month if he`s OK with that, he`s probaly glad its going to a good home.
Where can I get a relation like that.
Best Mark.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 25, 2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok! Its after Thanksgiving! I want an update with pictures of this fabulous machine. Please?

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, be careful because Fumeo used a head that looked like stereo but was mono (balance track was dummy).
To check if it's a stereo head, look if it has 3 wires coming from downside.

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 05:31 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alan,

Those pictures and a full report will take a little longer than expected. Unfortunately, I spent Thanksgiving at Saint Vincent hospital recuperating from an emergency heart surgery. The trip was postponed perhaps I’ll be able to make it by Christmas but most likely my doctors will not clear me until sometimes in January.

I am going to buy it though; I already gave my father-in-law a deposit.

Thank you for the tip Fabrizio, I appreciate it and I will follow your suggestion.

Regards,

Jon

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 25, 2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon,

I'm glad your surgery went ok and I hope you have a speedy recovery. It's medically acknowledged that anticipating taking delivery of a Fumeo helps quicken the healing process.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's medically acknowledged that anticipating taking delivery of a Fumeo helps quicken healing."

Thank you Doug [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Jon

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no offense Jon, but since he no longer uses it, and unless your father-in-law really needs money, I think he should give you the machine on the condition it stays in the family. That's what I would do [Smile] p.s. get well soon!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 10:00 PM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Jon

Have you gotten the Fumeo 9145 projector across the Atlantic? If so, can you share your impressions of the machine (re: build quality, picture quality, ease of operation, etc.)?

Glenn

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 11:57 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That bird has flown away...very far away.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2008 07:38 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan...

Are you saying what I think your saying?? [Frown]

James.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 31, 2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2008 11:09 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry Sirs, but I can´t deal with your euphoric behaviour on Fumeo 9145. The 9145 is in fact a real misconstruction.
So it might not help to quicken the healing process.
The 9145 with 500W Xenon did cost approx. 28,000 DM (14,000 Eur, or 19,000 US$). It was an extrem expensive machine with unsatisfying performance.
Reason:
Super 8 projector 9145 had been developed from an existing 16mm Fumeo projector. There are still two 16mm film rollers underneath lamphouse (which is fine)
The mean disadvantage is claw mechanism itself, because it is a modified version from fumeo´s 16mm machine.
(to be continued, I have to leave for repair in a cinema)

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of you will know, film in camera will be moved by one pin (claw) which is located one step (frame) above aperture (optical line). Now all film projectors have to move film by using the same hole as the camera did.Thus ensures that you achieve very stable frames during projection. Production tolerances within film perforation is negliable as camera and projector are using the same hole - in relation to individual projected frame - one hole above aperture on 8mm.
I think there does exist an Industial Standard and Kodak "guidelines" about that matter.
Due to the fact that the fumeo 9145 had been converted from a 16mm machine, the claw is located unterneath aperture. Therefore the claw is always using different holes compared to the camera, resulting in an unstable picture.
If you are projecting different films, you will recognise a more or less stable picture. It depends fully on the precision of stamped perforation holes on each filmstrip.
I have seen films with terrible vibrating frames on a 9145. Same film showed very stable frames even projected on very cheap projectors.
Fumeo projectors are very great machines, but there exist at least one exception.
I don´t know, why they choosed a converted 16mm projector for a such expensive machine.

[ June 07, 2008, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Josef Grassmann ]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"That bird has flown away...very far away....." - I]Originally posted by Alan Rik.
That bird had a massive coronary plus a minor stroke and barely survived, AFTER spending just under 6 month in the hospital (two in intensive care) AND several months of therapy and outpatient treatment, that bird is now home STILL weak, in theraphy and recuperating.

I doubt THAT BIRD can fly anywhere anytime soon. Right now the bird only wishes he could walk just a little better!

Regards,

Jon

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2008 11:27 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, good to see that bird flying back this way again. I'm terribly sorry to hear of such an agonizingly hard year. Welcome back, and hope you'll be able to spend more time with us.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 11, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon
Very sorry to read what has happened and wish you a speedy recovery

Graham.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2008 11:19 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon-

Its good to see you're alive and well! (recovering).

It's good to take it slow for a while after someting like that. One day at a time.

Hope to see you on the forum again soon.

James.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC