8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars on Super 8
Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2008 05:28 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More evidence that George Lucas has all the best stuff:

http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/20081204.html

Let's organise a break in!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 14, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

That's great! Nice to know that there are truly "mint" copies out there.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! Great post. Hey...Where's the Derann copy?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Star Wars fan but this is fascinating. I wonder if they would refuse to sell the prints for any reason, such as the subsequent changes to the films.

I liked the photo caption that says: "Return of the Jedi was never formally released in the format." Sounds like the sort of phrase a diplomatic collector might use!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2008 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating stuff, but what happens next?

They are spending real money (Heat, A/C, property taxes, building maintenance, custodial services, electric power..and all at California rates no doubt) to archive all this stuff. Will it just sit there until some accountant decides it's time to heave it all into a dumpster or will they sell it off?

Maybe somebody needs to let them know there is a market for it. Most people haven't a clue.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 14, 2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, archiving all things Star Wars seems to be quite important to Mr. Lucas. I think he can afford to keep them around for future generations. If only the Film Studios had preserved their product as well throughout the last century.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 14, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just seems to be kind of a waste: all those duplicate reels and probably none of them will ever see the the inside of a projector.

It looks almost like he muckled onto leftover inventory somewhere and decided he'd save them from the Dumpster back then.

...I'm guessing the money they'd raise is not a big deal to them!

-especially since they've spent many multiples of it over the years to house the stuff!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting ...

I wonder how the color has held up on they're copies?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's beautiful to see such 'archeology' but one has to imagine the S-8 reels have most likely gone red, unless whatever stock Ken used was more stable.
Still, a pleasant surprise that George thinks enough of the earlier formats to keep examples in a nice warehouse.

Now, how many people actually own one of the 'Star Wars' films in Super-8, complete and scope? There's got to be somebody... [Big Grin]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, a lot of us Claus! Mines signed by none other than David Prowse, Darth Vader himself, AND a first day of release from Derann print, (as I bought it from the original owner, Phil, who got it on that first day! Fun history!)

NOW ... finding one that someone wants to part with? That's another story altogether.

One thing to bear in mind when looking for this print, Claus, attempt to find one, even if in mono (as mine is, I took the balance track and instead added the commentary from the DVD with Lucas, Carrie Fisher and some others), that is as close to the original date of release as, (as everybody knows) the further generations down from the master negative, the more surface wear and other abnormalities surface on the prints. The closer to that first day, the better looking it is.

... and my print really does look absolutely amazing. i have an old laserdisc, widescreen, of the original release of Star Wars without all the "improvements", and the image, (color saturation and such) are better! That's no joke. The laserdisc image is a shy sharper than the Super 8 print, but you couldn't ask for any better. Great film stock for that print!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 04:04 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, maybe - maybe, if I can find the film in a bigger format, I'll let the super 8 go. I found the other chapters, some in 16, some in 35, so anything is possible. There are still a few IB Tech prints in good condition from the original 1977 cut out there...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 14, 2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that you'll find STAR WARS on 16MM. Will you find a L.P.P. print? That maybe another whole matter altogether.

I have seen some on ebay from time to time, but they have tended to be prints that have varying degrees of fade, being on regular Eastman as a general rule. There may be some re-issue prints of this on L.P.P. or AGFA, but you may be waiting for awhile.

Besides this, the Super 8 Derann feature, while not 35MM, is a very sharp Derann print, not Disney DERANN but fairly close and I'm betting that you will find that it is at least comparable to many 16MM reduction prints.

But I wish you the best in your search!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2008 01:56 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmn, even the original review print of Star Wars wasn't that great Osi. It was good for its time but doesn't stand up to most Super 8 features issued by Derann since.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2008 09:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only recently got hold of a a Derann print of Star Wars...it must have been one of the early ones...it is flawless...very very sharp...and was re-recorded some years ago by Rob Aragon...and has a tremendous soundtrack. I got rid of my scope 16mm print of this one ...its color was off and it wasn't that sharp..... the super 8 print is far far better.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 15, 2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear Gary! I remember being struck by just how flawless the print was. No specks, ect.

John, maybe they cleaned up some of the problems before official release of the print.

But you bring up good points John, and you may be able to spot problems that I would never even think of. The only way I could compare was to freeze frame the Laserdisc (original version) and just perusing the print myself.

Back in me high school days, I was in a Media class, and we would get all the old trailers from the local movie theater, and would have fun just splicing the stuff together, (that's where I learned my splicing, Hmm, sometimes I wonder if i was paying attention?)

Anyhow, We had recieved about twelve or so Star Wars trailers, some on 16MM and a few on 35MM, from the pre-release trailer all the way to the the third re-release of the film, (this class was in 1982), and I remember keeping them on two seperate reels, one 200ft 16MM reel and one 35MM reel.

.. and I still remember the bastard who stole both reels from me!
If I ever see him at a class reunion, well, there will be hell to pay!

Yeah, I hold grudges that long!

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

I have to say, my Derann copy of the full length Star Wars is pin sharp with great colours. I wonder if this is a rare case of the review print not being up to the same standard as the production run?

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2008 05:24 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am pleased to see George Lucas has kept these in his archive, you can't beat new originals of anything.

Makes me wonder given that these were licenced, why American Graffiti wasn't. Universal certainly had as good if not better catalogue than anyone on Super 8 and we know George Lucas certainly was not against the format, why not his previous film AG?

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was a digest of that film? I could be wrong, though; it wouldn't be the first time.

STAR WARS has an incredible hold on my heart. Along with Indiana Jones, STAR WARS is just about the best escapist sci-fi that has, or ever will be ...made.

personal opinion, of course.

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2008 09:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening sequence on all the prints I've seen has been very good, I wouldn't call it pin sharp, but very good nevertheless. But certainly the Tatooine sections are poor by comparison to most releases issued by Derann.

So let me know how your prints compare to other titles. Get 'em out, dust off the projectors and run some comparisons. I'll be surprised if Star Wars comes up to the standard of even 'Return of the Jedi'.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2008 09:53 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curiously enough, I remember the desert scenes were grainy even in the cinema in 1977. Being a projectionist's son I was drilled to notice these things even as a boy. The model shots were all shot on VistaVision cameras of course. I assume the Tunisian scenes were not. The other very grainy film of the time was SUPERMAN with Chris Reeve. The effects shots here, however, were the problem.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2008 01:08 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall seeing the glass plates in the space shots during the X-wing and Tie fighter sequences in 1977. All mysteriously gone 10 years later.

Bruce Rawlings
Junior

- posted December 20, 2008 01:46 PM      Profile for Bruce Rawlings   Email Bruce Rawlings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Derann copy of the full feature but have not looked at it for at least 15 years! Must look to see if the colour is ok. I have it made up on 1200ft Elmo spools.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC