8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Little Support for CHC and Derann (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Little Support for CHC and Derann
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 04:59 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know what you mean there............ [Wink]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 05:40 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
WE have to remember that its not just new prints which keeps the hobby alive. The second hand market is still very boyant so dealers such as Perry's, Foster Films, Tua and Independant 8 need our support just as much as Derann and CHC. In other countries there are no doubt other dealers who also need supprting.
I think 16mm and super8 are both just as important and its good to see that a lot of the shorts and trailers that Derann have released over the years are also available new on 16mm. I cant comment on CHC and their support for new 16mm but they also have an extensive list of second hand films on both super8 and 16mm as do all the other dealers.

Content of new releases is another story! I'm not going to buy a trailer to a film I dont like just to support a particular dealer. What we need is the dealers to ask us what we want.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ronnie Sortor
Junior

- posted July 31, 2009 06:35 AM      Profile for Ronnie Sortor   Email Ronnie Sortor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twice, I've inquired CHC about purchasing certain prints. The first one was already sold (but still appears on their "updated" website list) and the second time, I asked about the availability of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. (the current STAR WARS ebay thread mentioned its availability from them) Their reply: "these were first made about 8 years ago and can still be obtained to order What country are you in? " It's been almost a week since I told them I was in the USA and still no reply. Do they not deal with the USA or what? [Confused]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 06:40 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I can see that quoting you may have appeared antagonistic; unreserved apology if so.

Suffice to say that my foray into 16mm has not always been a pleasant experience and am genuinely interested to know of good, reliable sources for prints.

Kevin, I recall that certainly Classic have in the past (via their newsletter) asked collectors what they wish to see released and received little or no response...shame.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 06:53 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone wanting to buy from Derann or CHC etc with paypal I am happy to pay in the UK and you can paypal me or other forum members who would likely be glad to help.
Anytime, just ask,

Bear with CHC on emails as the computer is not in the shop so there can be delays etc.

Best Mark.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 06:59 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone wanting to buy from Derann or CHC etc with paypal I am happy to pay in the UK and you can paypal me or other forum members who would likely be glad to help.
Anytime, just ask,

Bear with CHC on emails as the computer is not in the shop so there can be delays etc.

Best Mark.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the point about not being asked by dealers what we want. The fact is that over and over on the forum...in the pages of newsletters in GB and in the pages of Reel Images in the U.S......Phil and Gary ..representing the major dealers, have REPEATLY asked....and many times begged for input on what they should release. Phil, particularly has expressed disappointment in the lack or replies to his requests. On this site, not too long ago, there was a long thread asking us what we'd like to see...what we'd actually buy.... Many of the responses were for films...which were already in release, but the writers didn't know it.
Also...several times on this forum and in other venues, dealers have told about items which customers supposedly wanted badly...and so they invested in seeking out printing materials, making negs, and soundtracks...etc... and then when it came time to put up the money, the customers balked, leaving dealers holding the bag...or the reels, in this case.
It's very easy to justify not putting our money oni the line by criticizing the dealers unfairly by saying they don't ask for input. They have repeatedly asked. Many collectors have responded.... and sometimes dealers have been able to release requested items...but we have no right to criticize these dealers when we are not willing to buy the requested items when they ARE available. The things in the Derann and Classic catalog right now are so wonderful.....just buying a new print from their EXTENSIVE and varied catalog...even a trailer reel or cartoon,...would help everyone. All the used prints we buy, sell and trade were once bought new....but eventually the used market will dry up if we don't help the dealers sell their new items. One , maybe both, of the dealers are offering collectors a chance to buy great features reel by reel. You can't get much better deal than that. I'll get off my soapbox now. Hope I didn't rile anyone too much.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi As Peter says Classics new Hammer trailer Dracula 1958 is absolutely fantastic. Great print, and super atmospheric trailer.
Its just a little gem to have in your collection. Also if supported well enough hopefully there will be more in this line of older classic material.

I think this is a great little buy. Really worth going for, and it seems to just get better every time you watch it.

Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary made good points and I remember that extensive series of posts, but I also remember a lot of unrealistic desires, (perhaps I had a few, to be honest).

I don't envy what these existing dealers have to go through in order to release a film. I'm at work still working on getting that commercial reel released, and the cost makes it quite prohibitive.

But think about this. First, there's the request to have something released. Now begins the search for pre-print material, and as to whether they will have to take extra steps if a good negative can be found.

... and I said a GOOD negative. Collectors tend to be fussy and quite frankly, are not, as a general rule, going to buy a print that has terrible condition problems.

But wait a minute, what if those who may own a copyright on said material, do not wish to have they're film released without a stiff fee to be paid to them, whether one print or one hundred prints are made? That cost may be so high that it makes it absolutely impossible to release the film on Super 8.

The very fact that we have ANY new releases coming out here and there is a miracle in itself!

On the other hand, the dealer/ distributor needs to really be tapped into the super 8 market and cannot look back and make prints based on what worked years ago. Though I've mentioned it a number of times, the 600ft "End of Days" release was a mis-step. Derann went on the assumption that since "Arnold" films sold well in the past, this one would too.

Personally, I think Derann would do good to look through the catalogs of available negs for classic 80's sci-fi fantasy. A good choice, for instance would be a 600ft of "Dragonslayer", which would condense incredibly well into one 600ft reel, and I bet that it would be a BIG SELLER in scope on Super 8. (You great lads at Derann listening?) A feature would sell, but not quite as well.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,

I don't know if you are a member of the 16mm forum. Here's a link:
www.16mmfilmtalk.com

I have bought a lot of prints from some of the collectors there. There is a large 16mm community in the US and if you don't mind paying a bit more for shipping, there are a lot of excellent condition original prints to be had.

Sorry to hear your 16mm adventures have not been pleasant thus far, but the more collectors you know the more pleasant the hobby becomes - at least thats what I've found.

-Mike

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Michael. I'll have a look over the weekend. [Smile]

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark if i'am right(my English is not so good)is there a possibility if i want a movie from Derann and i pay with Paypal by "example" you,i get my movie?
That would be great [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jeroen, if theres something you are after email myself and Derann and I`ll sort it out. Or just email me and I`ll ring them in the UK and sort it all etc. No worries.

In that case you can pay me via Paypal.

I will happily do that for anyone and I`m sure others will as well. Its all for the good of the hobby after all.

I`d look see at Derann and CH they have some cracking new short`s, cartoons, etc the cgi shorts ( CHC) and men in white etc.

The intro,s too ( CHC) Bonds, The Living Daylights and Goldeneye will be available in September too.

I think CHC and Deranns website are up to date, but trailers at Derann you have to ask whats there.

Best Mark.

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Mark that is good to hear,i'am busy with the Disney movies,later i want some cartoons.
Now i know where i must been,thanks a lot i hope you can help more people now.

Best wishes,
Jeroen [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 09:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you are a good friend to keep this hobby alive. You are willing to get busy for the sake of 8mm, although you didn't make a profit out of that.

But Jeroen (and also Mark), keep in your mind that when JEroen send you money, there will be a deduction from paypal. For example, last week I received £175,00 payment which paypal take fee £7,03 and I ended to received only £167,97.

So when you are doing this don't forget to add some money from the total amount desired.

Plus another thing too, here, at least in Canada, when you are going to cash that money from our bank account below some amount, there will be 3.5% fee. (I thing that if we withdraw below $150).

Take that into your account. But great you are really helpful Mark.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see that here,but if Mark give me the total costs incl
fees then is that no problem for me. [Wink]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back to the topic, I'd love to see at least a 600ft digest of "Dragonslayer" in scope. It would make a fine digest at that length, but the full feature would be great as well, but the 600ft, absolutely necessary!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 01, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeroen as its not a sale or transaction as such between us you can send the paypal as a gift so I won`t be charged fees,which is fair.

Its free in the EU, I think too and from the states its 1% charge for that for the giver. Good really and they still make a little on the currency rate.

Best Mark.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just would like to add, that if you deal direct with "Derann" using a credit card as I have been doing for the last 16 years with no problems, "Derann" will deduct the VAT "value added tax" from the total cost of your films etc. Its a good saving which then goes to the cost of your postage.

Note.
Only buyers outside the UK are entitled to the "VAT" deduction.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! Love that V.A.T deduction!

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2009 02:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly Osi I doubt 'Dragonslayer' will ever see the light of day on Super 8. It's just not a popular enough film and finding a 35mm print in the first place would take some tracking down.

A 600ft extract for this title might sell as many as a dozen copies but even as a loss-leader that would be an enormous hit in financial terms.

Perhaps another 'Bond' extract is just about the only surefire winner now. Anyone have the opening reel of 'The Spy Who Loved Me' on 35mm???

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC