8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Little Support for CHC and Derann (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Little Support for CHC and Derann
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I was just hoping some of us could pull something out of the Hat cash wise and give a bit of support to Classic Home Cinema and Derann, show willing and buy a few new bits, even small films like trailers or shorts and cartoons etc.

I think they really need to see they are valued and supported by us all now.

There are superb trailers still available from each and some of the cracking animated shorts like Nick Nack and One Man Band etc etc are a great buying way to help the hobby keep going. Advert reels are also super and interesting shorts like pieces of silver etc etc.

Theres nothing like getting a lovely piece of new super 8 to run. Lets help them along as best we can.

Also I know Classic Home Cinema are really in need of small reels 50` 100 ` and 200 feet reels of all types super 8.
As you Know CHC support many of the releases with thier own money with the stock costs now etc and £1 situation so maybe we can hunt around and find a few small odd reels, pop them in a jiffy bag and send then along with best wishes and a nod to what they do, old camera film 50 footers, old 100 or 200,s super 8 anything would be a help and be part of keeping this wonderful hobby going. Phil will give you a nod back as well when buying etc.

So come on chaps,can we try to buy a few nice new bits and be great to help out a bit with the reels for CHC if you can.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good reminder.

I know that I will be buying that "Yellow Submarine" extra long trailer from CHC as soon as it comes out. I just bought from Derann as well. Only shorts, but its something.

But, it really does become a matter of dollars.

My problem is, quite frankly, I have literally everything I want ...

Except for "Popeye Meets Ali Baba" and "Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" optical sound feature on that second one. Shameless plug on those!

... and so I honestly do not see the point of buying something just for the sake of buying something. I'd love to buy others things new, but I have to see something worth buying, (that I don't already have).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently awaiting my recent purchase from Phil, and as yet have not purchased from Derann, but I did subscribe to the magazine the last time someone had asked about helping them....I plan on buying some new releases when I get back from my summer vacation next month (not that my vacation is a month..but..)It is funny and maybe I am not understanding things, but whenever I get the list from CHC I send over some wants and then make the purchase but whenever I have sent wants to derann, everything is always gone, so perhaps they are doing OK?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post and suggestions, Mark.
I use to buy a couple of brand new titles from Derann each two months, more or less.
And I'm actually waiting for two features (maybe three, soon) from CHC. I do agree we all should do our best to support them. Sometimes, as I already wrote in other posts, I think it would be a real and definitive loss if, for any reason, they would close shop and stop trading with 8/16mm.

I love trailers and I'm never sick of them.
I will write soon to Phil to ask what he has to offer. I always find something interesting. And it's quite easy to convince me to buy eh eh eh.

Mark is right: we don't need to spend so much.
I cannot unfortunately help with reels; I'm always needing them. But who knows how many of us have tons stored in the attic!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell Phil I'll be glad to make a purchase through Paypal.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 08:12 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with this thread -- let's all definitely pull together some cash and buy a new print from Derann and/or CHC. I plan on doing so within the next couple of weeks.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 01:52 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally will, Dan.
I had already red, in other threads, about payment 'limits' and disappointed collectors, expecially from oversea.
I'll try to tell him how useful this could be.
Let's see what he says.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 02:59 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a bit puzzled - why are these two companies put on such a pedestal here. From a 16mm point of view it would make no discernible difference to collectors that I can see, if they both didn't exist. I've never bought from either of them and I know of many 16mm collectors who can say the same - it has made no difference to my hobby.

Is it primarily a Super 8 thing?

I'm not being funny here - I am genuinely interested.
[Smile]

-Mike

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 03:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's Super 8 Michael. These two dealers still issue new releases and that has quite literally been the main driving force behind the longevity of the hobby.

If Phil is really in need of 200 foot reels I've been stockpiling mine for years just for such an eventuality. I'll take them to the next convention for him.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 04:11 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I figured it had to be something related just to Super 8 collectors. Thanks.

[ July 30, 2009, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 12:58 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ordered a new Derann cartoon print a week ago and am anxiously awaiting its delivery (3-4 weeks: ouch!).

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 01:44 PM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just recieved from CHC the 1958 Dracula trailer and it is a super print(If you'll pardon the pun)Very pleased with it.
Peter.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Peter, it is a cracker, I bet it looks great on the 810.

They have a few reprints of 2005 King Kong trailer from Peter Jackson in now, its scope but also looks fabulous in 4/3. Fantastic version.

Best Mark.

PS Michael Derann sell some outstanding 2nd hand 16mm prints and are fair as well. They have also released some cracking new 16mm, and many of them scope, trailers.
I recently got the Magnificent Men in thier Flying Machines scope new and it is absolutely beautiful.
They also do some other short bits and bobs that are very nice as well new.
Classic have also done some very nice 16mm trailers and interesting short bits and even features new on 16mm.

Mark.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've seen their lists - nothing spectacular usually. Their descriptions of colour leave a lot to be desired - what does "stunning " mean? Why not just state the stock? I also found it annoying that their 16mm prints were all sealed at BFCC (as did some others) - I prefer to examine a print before buying. Anyhow, as I said, I can live without them.

But, I can see their value to the Super 8 collector, I guess.

-Mike

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can personally vouch for Gary's high reliability (at Derann).
If I ever have a question about a print on they're used list, Gary is always very quick to point out the quality or lack of it, and I have never been disappointed with the film when it arrives.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
phil will check color and specifics on the prints as well if you call the shop

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

your post says (quote);

"I've always been a bit puzzled - why are these two companies put on such a pedestal here. From a 16mm point of view it would make no discernible difference to collectors that I can see, if they both didn't exist. I've never bought from either of them and I know of many 16mm collectors who can say the same - it has made no difference to my hobby."

With geniune interest, where do you source your 16mm prints?

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, film stock type would not hold as much meaning as the term "stunning". Basically, it means just that; you will be very, very impressed and glad you bought it! I have never, ever been let down by Derann's descriptions. They are always accurate 100%. I'm also pleased their film cans were sealed at Ealing; I would be annoyed if people draped film all over the place, causing scratches and then decide they don't want it, leaving it for some other collector to repeat the same process, further risking a film that has been carefully graded at Derann. I've never quite understood this process; quite a few prints that are very good overall, are scratched at the beginning anyway, but later clear up. I don't unravel film, and never have. I have never needed to, as I just ask the dealer.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2009 06:35 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 02:22 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally cannot see why anyone should have a problem with Derann with regards to "quality". Their descriptions are accurate (in my opinion) and Gary, or Ged will "double-check" the print if asked. Also, wherelse do you get a virtual "no quibble guarantee" when purchasing product.

Last year, I purchased a print of "Thunderball" from them, at BFCC Ealing. When I returned home and viewed the print, there were "neg marks" on one of the reels. I rang Derann, on the Monday morning, to merely ask if there was a problem with that particular print and was told "not to their knowledge" but, they would investigate. However, if I was unhappy with the print after watching it through, then I could return it for an exchange, or a full refund. How many other "dealers" at the BFCC, on E-Bay,or in general, would do that?

Also Derann "know" their "customers". They are aware, I am sure, of their customers requirements. There have been a number of times that I have asked about films on their list, to be told "The quality is as described but it would not match MY standards".

It's all about "service and customer satisfaction". You do not survive in business for 40 years, without that sort of commitment. If that is the criteria of "pedestalisation" then they thouroughly deserve it, it my opinion.

Now, in view of my praises above, if they will find that elusive "master" of John Wayne's "The Alamo" (in scope, of course!) and print me a copy then I will consider that reward enough. How about it Gary? (Come on Keith, time to wake-up now) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 03:54 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith

If Derann was to release "The Alamo" I will buy print "two" you can have the first "one" [Wink] I watched it at the movies when it came out long long ago, one of the first films I remember seeing when very young [Roll Eyes] only one word for me "Brilliant" a must have movie, I will even mortgage the house for this one.

Regarding "Derann" it was away back in the early 90s that someone told me that they were still into Super8, and it was through Gary and Derann that got me back into Super8 and those wonderful films such as eg "Beauty and the Beast" and "Peter Pan" many prints bought new and will never sell them. It was during my buy up times that we decided to build our little home cinema where "Super8" was king...still is. I cant praise Gary and everyone at Derann enough, they are the best. I still buy Super8 films from them, some more arrived this week. [Smile] they have done more than anyone to keep Super8 alive so will take this oppotunity to say a big thanks, its been great. [Smile]

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang on there chaps. Before this gets thrown out of proportion, I have NOT questioned the "quality" of Deranns prints. I have not bought from them so I'm not in a position to judge.

Rob - most of my prints have come from fellow collectors via Ebay or private sales.

-Mike

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 04:23 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Derann movies a lot,but i try to buy everything second hand.
The reason they don't have paypal and that is a littlebit disapointed.
If i had all my Disney movies i want some cartoons,but everything i must order by David Thomas ------->Holland------->Canada------->Canada------->UK------->UK-------Canada------->Canada------->Holland!
Is this normal?no this is absolute not normal.
I hope in future that they have paypal,i don't want a creditcard or something else it doesn't work for me [Frown]
But i hope Derann keep up the good work [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2009 04:30 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael - my comments were not meant to appear "antagonistic" or "retaliatory" in anyway. If it appeared that way, then please accept my apologies. It is just my opinion of a good "supplier", that is all.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 31, 2009 04:58 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all Keith - just wanted to make myself clear. Sometimes, on a "faceless" forum, topics can take a funny turn.

[Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC