8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question About Birth Of A Nation (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question About Birth Of A Nation
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 01:17 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Blackhawk's feature Birth Of A Nation have the tinted scenes in color?

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 03:23 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard 8 did not but the super 8 was available either with the colored bits or without the colored bits, likewise their exclusive music track...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 03:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is, in fact, a copy of that somewhat rare version on ebay right now, (either that ir it just ended). As earlier stated, it has the color tinting and sound.

My copy is a stunner as well as a puzzle. Its black and white sound, standard 8mm. It is quite honestly the sharpest standard 8mm print I have ever seen hands down, but it doesn't have any printiong on it whatsoever that gives away who made it.
The sprocket area, instead of being see through, is jet black.

Any ideas folks?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one I have is super 8 silent. Does this have tinted scenes intact?

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Dan!

Is the postage to Norway really $33? Right now it's the only thing keeping me from buying it [Razz]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 03:56 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

$33.00 really is the postage cost. In fact it is the least expensive shipping. The film is on seven 400' reels with Blackhawk box. The shipping weight is right at 4 pounds. You can calculate it at http://www.usps.com/ I have added a $2.00 S&H charge for the packaging.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:01 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it fit a large envelope, or is this a risk to the reels?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:10 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan since Blackhawk released Super 8 silent versions that were both colored and B/W only you would be able to answer that unless you know the blackhawk number on the box?

Speaking of Birth of a Nation, which is an ongoing source of fascination with me. I have what basically is the only existing complete version of the Epoch Producing Corporations' stock book. The man that originally owned the book (he received it from one of the Aitkens) sold it to David Shepard in the 1970's who broke it apart and sold off all of the original D.W. Griffith autographs. Thankfully this gentleman had the forsight to copy the book and make a complete recreation down to every little paper clip, pin, added notes, everything. The final pic is from the back of my book which is an original unused stock certificate for the company that only existed to finance Birth of a nation. Basically they sold of the stock to folks and then quickly bought them all back, so the profits would ultimately go to Griffith and the 2 Aitkens.

-

These are some snapshots the gentleman took as well back in 1968. The first one is Griffiths' retirement home in La Grange Kentucky, the second pic of the couple was Griffiths' personal lawyer J. Ballard & his wife who lived across the street. The final picture is of Richard Reynolds, who was Griffiths' assistant in Kentucky. Both Reynolds and Ballard said that Griffith was actually not a racist, but was in fact highly progressive for a southerner of the time. I am just repeating what I heard rather than trying to open up the debate.

-

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

The Priority Envelope is the only one it would fit and it cost $36.95.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you could do 2 priority 12.95 envelopes if you don't send the bottom of the box

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:26 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would want the box. Do you plan on putting it back on eBay if it doesnt sell?

Because I don't get paid until Jan 25th, so I can't make a final decision before then.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Those envelopes are cardboard and can tear open. The larger ones are Tyvek.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
true, do you know the blackhawk number on the side of the box I could let you know about the color

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, $33 is pretty good for shipping from the US, I would say.
[Confused]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 04:44 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't bad at all, but paying 33$ shipping for a 50$ film when you're a poor student isn't the easiest case in the world [Frown]

Too bad there aren't licensed sellers with payment plans for us poor Scandinavians [Wink]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

The Blackhawk box is not really important, because they are the generic one. You can get it from somewhere else.

In case you send only the 7 reels, I believe it will fit on the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box which is only $12.95 from USA to anywhere in the world (to max 4 pounds). Check here: http://ircalc.usps.gov/popups/PMI_SmallFlatRateBox_help.htm

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 06:45 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

The dimensions on that box are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8". The 7" diameter reels will not fit in 5-3/8" width. That is 1-5/8" short of making it.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 07:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful info Dino!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 03, 2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, the numbers are LD400 BXB46 860502597 LOC0427 FTG 2930 0020096

In that order. [Smile]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan that is the original 1970's silent B&W only release

sorry [Frown]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 01:18 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dino. Silents with music tracks and original tinted scenes must be rare.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 01:21 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep since it was like $299 in the 1970's I'd figure hardly anyone has em....I'd love to find one ( but not sure I'd pay $300)

--------------------

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2010 03:06 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, is the film on sound stock, so that I can record a musical score unto it?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2010 06:59 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dimensions on that box are 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8".
Dan, I just realize that one. But to be honest, I once received in that (very economical) envelope, i.e. 3 400" reels with the original cardboard box (they were Walt Disney 400" series).

I forgot how the seller fit the 3 reels inside that envelope.

I still keep the envelope and I will tell you how. But perhaps, he modified a bit the envelope and as far as I remember, Joe Taffis (member of this forum who is also working with the USPS) told us here that USPS will allow that modification as long as the lid is fully closed (I will also search for the said thread).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael Dixon
Junior

- posted January 04, 2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Michael Dixon   Email Michael Dixon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not viewed mine lately and do not recall if it has the tinted scenes or not. Mine is Blackhawk, Std.8 silent. Purchased new soon after they offered their restored version. Mine is 6 reels of 400 feet. In original box. Box is black with the decorated lid. As I recall, the price was $100.00, quite a lot of money at that time.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC