8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Old School of Collecting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Old School of Collecting
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 12:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought since I am definitely one of the active old school film lovers I would start a thread that posts info from the old school of film collecting (I have a trunk of the old mags, and mailers) ...Pre 8mm sound all the films releases were silent (duh!) so it made more sense to release silent films than taking the sound out of films, so many of the old companies released rare silent movies...There were some great ones,,.companies that is, but where are all the releases now...For Instance does anyone still have any Griggs Moviedrome or Nick Fiorentino prints in their collections?

Did you know that Blackhawk began releasing 8mm sound prints at the end of 1964 and the very first release was Fashions in Love....Here is an ad from the Winter 1964 issue of 8mm Collector (which became Classic Images) that lists the first group of sound releases......Oh and Chief Blackhawk says Thank You!

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 05:58 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, this is great - I'm of the old-school time myself, have Nick Prints and many Griggs' also (they always had a nice print with most original titles)I well-remember the start of '64 and the Std 8 Sound prints (dreamed, but never owned one till much later) I'd buy some of your mailer/brochure/insert/flyers - Post more

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 07:38 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, is this 'sheet' original or just a copy?
Do you have by any chance a catalogue or something similar listing all Blackhawk's OUR GANG episodes (both silent and sound) issued?

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do, but I don't know how to make it appear here - I could xerox the pages and mail them to you, Gian

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 09:56 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great, Shorty!
Here it is:

gloncri (at) hot mail (dot) it

GRAZIE [Big Grin] !

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 10:26 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I can't place them inside the computer, all I can do is actually MAIL pages to you in Bella Italia - Send mailing address and what you want is the Hal Roach output of L&H and Our Gang, si?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian
That will be the next "old school" post I will gather together what I can find of the blackhawk Our Gang releases and post... [Smile]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 11:34 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty, mail sorted to supply you my address.
Dino, that would be great.
Thanks to both of you!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 12:33 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see more of those inserts. I have some too, can't get them on-line, but I tell you what, come to the next John Black Film Expo, and we'll see what each other has. Dino, Gian, everyone, let's meet, should be in April

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 07, 2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take the prices shown and throw in a fudge factor of about five times for inflation (think about things like cars, fuel, housing then vs. today), new films were actually more expensive then than they are today!

This is even more astounding considering what a tiny niche market new films are now.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 02:48 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something I had noticed too, Steve. Really interesting.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post edited twice (I ignore why). The same already happened, today [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 12:15 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the prices were surprisingly high considering...I use Birth of a Nation as a guide for me since the print that I would have loved to have bought was super 8 sound with color sections which was $299 in 1978, what would that be like $1500 today? [Eek!] whoah...

OK Gian yes that was original here are some other original our gang listings by request...The first 3 pics are of 4 pages listing the majority of the Blackhawk titles (from a 1977 catalog) which I think they started dropping titles as I checked a later catalog and there were less titles listed..The next has 2 Niles ads, and a film classic exchange ad of their Our gangs, if I find more I'll let you know...Gian I sent you those pages of the reviews someone did back in Film Collectors World?

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, thanks for posting this.
And Mr Caruso... Thanks for sending those copies (got them today).
You both were F A N T A S T I C.
Grazie.

--------------------

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 01:10 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thought I would resurrect this one...Here is an old Griggs full page poster ad for Tol'able David - I heard somewhere the Anthony Phillips the artist for these Griggs ads, wound up in prison, anyone else ever hear that?

-

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 14, 2012 05:56 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to see what some of the 1964 sound releases were, but I'm surprised that according to the footage stated at the ad at the top, the sound versions were edited to shorter lengths.

I'd imagine that some of the Std 8 collectors with expensive state of the art projectors in 1964, finally enjoying sound films, must have been dismayed that the introduction of Super 8 the following year meant that there would soon be another 'latest thing'. Does anyone know if it was Blackhawk or someone else who released the first Super 8 sound films, and when this was?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 14, 2012 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only that Adrian, but you really have to ask if super 8 was really a step forward over standard 8. Yes the picture area is a little bigger, but many people have reported that standard 8 prints were often better. Certainly, my standard 8 Kodachrome movies shot on a Bolex C8 look better than aanything I shot on super 8.
Technically, nothing that was done on super 8 could not have been done with standard 8. On the downside, super 8 brought with it the horrible plastic film cartridge, along with plastic cameras and projectors.
In many respects Standard 8mm was better.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 14, 2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite so Paul,plus std 8mm had unlimited backwind in camera.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of the beginnings of super 8 I found this today from 1965

-

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2012 07:50 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice to read that, Dino.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 14, 2012 10:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think super 8mm would have been so much better if it had been double super 8 from the get go, using cameras with high precision gates, just like standard 8mm, and no flimsy plastic cartridges.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC