8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Anastasia 1997 on super 8 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anastasia 1997 on super 8
Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 05:50 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,how is it possible that such a great movie as Anastasia never released on super 8.
Does anyone know who i can mail for this release,i want this one so badly.
Why is it so difficult release this one? [Big Grin]
 -

Jeroen [Wink]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 08:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree! I'd love to see this released on Super 8 scope, and since it is a shorter film, it would easily fit onto a 3X600ft reel set-up!

See if those, with German Super 8 connections, know if this was released or if it will be!

I liked this film! This film proved that Don Bluth still had it as an animation director, and the love story was actually more touching than many I've seen in live action. Great story and very winning songs!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 09:33 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Osi,this is a real classic a great story,beautiful music and loveley characters.
Maby we must sign a petition or something else!
It would be great and a big wish to have this one on super8.
Is there someone that can make those prints is the question! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 07, 2010 11:37 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be much consolation but I'm almost certain that the trailer was released on Super 8 - can anyone confirm this?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed, Winbert.
Issued by Derann, now discontinued [Frown] .

Jeroen, I suppose the reason why this great cartoon has never been released in super 8 is the poor number of collectors interested in it (the same thing is happening with CARS).

Your idea about a petition is good, at least to know how many people could find the idea interesting. But I suppose it would be quite hard.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed, Winbert.
Issued by Derann, now discontinued [Frown] .

Jeroen, I suppose the reason why this great cartoon has never been released in super 8 is the poor number of collectors interested in it (the same thing is happening with CARS).

Your idea about a petition is good, at least to know how many people could find the idea interesting. But I suppose it would be quite hard.

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have write CHC maby it helps,what else can we do!
also for cars i hope there is a release someday,i don't like cars but if i must sign for the collectors i will do it.
Is there anyone on the forum that can make prints? [Wink]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 08:29 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer was:

THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY FOR S8 RELEASE WE MUST MAKE 100 COPIES AND THESE WILL NOT SELL. PLEASE ASK YOUR FRIENDS TO TELL US WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE AND WE WILL CONSIDERPS CHC

So wishes! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is besides the point but I must recommend video projection. It clearly solves this kind of problem.

While I will ALWAYS be a super 8 film projectionist and collector - the ONLY way to solve the dilemma of your favorite films on super 8 - is to go this route.

If you can take the plunge, and spend for a video projector what would cost 2 super 8 features - then simply add the DVD player to your sound system....and I do not have to tell you what the titles will then cost and OH how many there are to select from as well as the ease of picking the movie up in your hands.

I have Anastasia on DVD for projection and it is brilliant.

Let me tell you that adding a video projector does NOT take away from the passion of super 8. It INCREASES IT. When I added mine, it reignited the spark that I had for wanting to spend time in my home cinema.

And for those of you who ask "why would the spark be put out?" - all I can say was I, like you, was wanting many titles on super 8 that have never been available. And they still aren't on super 8.

Well friends this changes everything if you take the VP plunge!

I do not know if I will go Blue Ray. I am consdering it and I have one of my best friends who is very knowledgeable on this format in general helping me decide. The main reason being it might not work in my setup given the fact I am pushing the footage throw and I am limited to 1:85 or 16 x 9 projection based on the throw distance and the lens of the Panny AX200U.

Currently I use standard DVD running S Video to the projector and it is a beautiful bright sharp image.

So please. Keep your super 8 ignited. But do also take the plunge for Video Projection.

You will NOT regret this.

-cg-

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 03:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case you've all missed it, Film Lab North was shut down a few months ago. So unless Derann can source a new lab that is affordable that's the end of new releases.

Now if anyone does know of any labs in the world capable of producing Super 8 prints (besides Andec who will be too expensive given the current exchange rate) please let me know or contact Derann directly.

Osi, was it you who was trying to get a 16mm reel of adverts printed on Super 8 in the USA?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 09, 2010 07:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,

What is the Germany lab that we always discuss (which printed "Once upon the time" recently). Was that Andec too or another Lab?

And where CHC print their films?

ps: I heard that a Hong Kong lab can print super 8mm (for their toys projector)

rgds,

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 09:27 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY FOR S8 RELEASE WE MUST MAKE 100 COPIES AND THESE WILL NOT SELL
100 ?????????????????????????????

Andec in the answer for both your questions, Winbert.
John, contact Guido Melis at

driveapples (at) dada (dot) it

He could have a couple of ideas [Wink] .

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I think that Movie&Sound in Firenze has the machines to develop and print in super8.
Maybe it's one of the ideas that Gian suggested.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 11:16 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Fabrizio, how are you? It was, indeed. But being not sure if they would do it, I suggested to contact Guido, living in Florence. Fingers crossed [Confused] .
Ciao!

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O wowie,i hope so,fingers crossed for sure.
Gian do you know the quality of this movies?

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WE MUST MAKE 100 COPIES AND THESE WILL NOT SELL
I actually thought CHC could print to order almost, just printing a few copies at a time if one customer ordered it. Obviously im talking about cases where the Super 8 negative has already been made and mabye Phil is referring to new films and the cost of taking it down from 35mm to S8 and he needs to make 100 copies to make it worthwhile.

Graham S

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham.

I did not mean to question Jeroen's quote.
But the very last time I contacted Mr. Ludwig (ANDEC) I'm quite sure I was told 20 orders would be enough to bear the cost for a new negative.

Let's suppose the final cost of the full feature would be 500 euro (more or less the price for a brand new movie supplied by CHC).

500x100 = 50.000 Euro. This would be £ 44958,2253 or $ 72025,3529.

I personally think there's something weird in Phil's answer to Jeroen.
But Jeroen has probably misunderstood [Wink] . Or maybe I did.
Ciao.

[ January 09, 2010, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hellooooooow,i haved copied his replay that he send to me!
this was exactly what he say to me! [Frown]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 05:23 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] So it was probably me who misunderstood, Jeroen [Wink] ......... And £ 44958,2253 for a new release means no new releases. Am I wrong?

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gian,

I know that Derann can just print a few copies at a time, particularly on shorts. I know this because I recently (last year) had 2 pathe pictorials printed as they didnt have any in stock. I think they order around 5 copies of each title.

But again like I said before, the negatives had already been done and it is just a simple job of making a copy. I think all the titles in Derann's catalogue have their negative made already so this is just a simple job to make a few more copies.

But making a new super 8 negaive from scratch is a very costly process and therefore the order numbers will change. Only Derann and CHC know the true costings of whats involved and how to get the best deal.

Funny thing about Phil is that he keeps telling me that super 8 dosent sell and there's no demand but then he brings out a title like 'The Magic Umbrella'. Surely he's not telling me that he has had a very high demand and pre orders for this animation which I (and probably most other collectors) have never heard of before! He also keeps asking for suggestions but how many titles does he bring out from those suggestions. At the end of the day Phil brings out what he wants and what he can get his hands on easily.

Graham S

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 05:49 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian - don't forget that the price of 500 Euros / £471.00 that you used in your formula was the "selling price" and not the "cost price". The cost price of printing the film would be less than 500 Euros. How much less, would depend on the dealers "profit margins".

Assuming a hypothetical profit margin of 33%, that would make the "cost" price around 330 Euros / £310.00 - you are still looking at an outlay of 33,000 Euro / £31,000. Also, would that price include the sound recording, or would that be an "extra" outlay?

It's not hard to see why "dealers" are reluctant to venture into the "NEW" feature market without "guaranteed sales".

There is nothing wrong with "dreaming of winning the lottery" is there?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At the end of the day Phil brings out what he wants and what he can get his hands on easily.

No doubt.
I simply wonder if we would ever see new titles released.

quote:
Gian - don't forget that the price of 500 Euros / £471.00 that you used in your formula was the "selling price" and not the "cost price".
Keith, you are definitely right. But each time I've had the possibility to discuss with collectors and/or dealers about new 8mm releases, the only data taken into consideration was THE SELLING PRICE.

e.g.: 'If we sell 20 copies, we can afford the cost for the negative'. That's why I used that formula.
Graham is right: we would never probably know anything about real 'extra' costs. But, once again, considering all seems depending on HOW MANY COPIES WILL 'WE' BE ABLE TO SELL TO BEAR THE COST, I had no other choices to weigh up pros and cons. [Wink]

I am the first one dreaming about new releases, guys. I do hope you won't misunderstand me.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:13 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we really need is to tell these mega rich billionaires to stop buying english football clubs and instead invest money in Derann and CHC [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Graham S

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:19 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name will be on the top of the petition, Graham! That's for sure!

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
me2 [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC