8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Anastasia 1997 on super 8 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anastasia 1997 on super 8
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian

quote:
each time I've had the possibility to discuss with someone about new 8mm releases, the only data taken into consideration was THE SELLING PRICE.
Is the "price" they are talking about the "printing labs selling price", or the "dealers selling price", in order to recover the negative costs?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dealers selling price, Keith. I now feel like to have a cup of hot milk. I'll be back later [Big Grin] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 04:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of producing Super 8 in the UK was less than producing the same in Germany. This is largely because of the exchange rate but I believe the UK rates were lower in the first case too.

So what we probably need to find is a lab in the USA, Switzerland, UK or some other independent nation, perhaps even the Far East.

I don't know what has happened to all the existing negatives but hopefully they are all safe and can be passed to a new lab if ever required. In the meantime just be thankful Classic are able to get the odd new release produced in Germany and support them as much as possible. Likewise once Derann get up and running again. And if there is anything on Derann's back catalogue you've been thinking about get in quick as they may have the print you want on the shelf.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
silly question but wouldnt Derann OWN all the super 8 negatives held at film lab north. If so surely the negatives will be sent back to them, or Derann may collect them personally.

Hopefully Derann already have a new lab in place and will announce it soon.

Graham S

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 07:48 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over Anastasia [Wink] yesterday someone sends me an mail that he knows someone with an 35mm print of Anastasia,i don't know of it helps,i don't know what to do,i have no intelligence of these things [Frown]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2010 08:08 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what has happened to all the existing negatives but hopefully they are all safe and can be passed to a new lab if ever required.
quote:
Hopefully Derann already have a new lab in place and will announce it soon.

John, Graham,
I know for sure all Derann's negatives are safe. And I'm also sure they have no laboratory in place [Frown] .

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2010 02:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John ...

Yes, I'm the one trying to get a 400ft reels worth of animated adverts out on Super 8. The tragedy of it was that the damned package got lost in transit from Idaho to California, and I personally blame myself for it getting lost. Me and my cheap shipping! I tell you, this time when I do this, I will ship by the best, reliable shipping in the world!

I am now currently readying a second collection of animated Tv commercials! Fortunately, I had duplicate copies of most (not all) of the commercials I wanted to copy, and most of them are of the same quality (color/condition) as the first bunch. I made sure that I bought multiples for just such an occasion. That and the wear and tear on one collection would leave the other for my private archives.

The curious thing is that the film lab equipment DOES EXIST! It's all over the place in america. Its just this equipment getting in the right, knowledgable hands, (Larry Arpin, for instance who, as we all know, has released his own theatrical trailer reels in the past!).

The only morte difficult part is coming up with ...

1. The raw stock: Personally, (if I had the funds) I would buy up an enormous quantity of it, as it could, of course, go into cold storage for years if necessary, for future releases.

2. Striping facilities: This equipment is available from many sources. It's just getting into the right, super 8 loving hands. While we have one quite capable company in the UK (I Believe), it would be best to have another in the US as well.

It's certianly a capable dream to come forth with, and I haven't died to it as well.

I will say, however, that time IS running out, and those who truly wish to see this hobby continue with brand new releases need to get off they're collective backsides and put they're money where they're mouth is, (hey, I was willing to shell out a thousand out of my own savings just to see this reel become a reality, knowing full well that most who say that they'd buy one would probably vanish, and I haven't worked in over a year! Can anybody else on this forum claim that dedication?)

I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but talk is cheap, (yep, even mine!). It's time for action.

Oh ... lastly, occasionally, Phil does use outside ideas. His release of the "Yellow Submarine" extra long trailer was at the giving of our own Dino Everette sending him the 35MM trailer in question.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2010 03:31 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, perhaps you could pass the details of the lab in California to Derann as it could be a lifeline.

Good news that you have duplicates of most of those adverts Osi.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 19, 2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of 'Anastasia', anyone that collects 16mm might be pleased to hear that I've just seen that Robbie's Reels still have new scope prints of the trailer available for the 'sale' price of only $18.99.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC