8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ken Films & Columbia Digest Narration (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ken Films & Columbia Digest Narration
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 26, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite all the annoying continuity problems that digests inherently had, I remember them as having enormous impact back then in the 1970's. You have to remember that there was no vdeo back then, so super 8mm film was really the only way for people to be able to own a piece of a favourite Hollywood movie. Those digests requiring narration in an attempt to explain a complex story line, were obviously the least successful. But there were many movies that reduced very well to digest form. This was particularly true of musical pictures, where people wanted the great songs and dance routines, and could easily dispense with the(usually flimsy) story. The best digests in that respect were all the MGM classic musicals, which are all great to watch. The worst digest IMO was the 400ft version of Dr. Zhivago - a total disaster!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2011 11:13 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been disappointed overall with what I've seen of musical digests. Songs abbreviated or simply used over an entirely different scene from which the original audio is muted. I'd rather have one or two songs intact than have 4 songs that are truncated. In "Wizard Of Oz" Garland's "Over The Rainbow" is heard over the titles and then we catch up with Dorothy in front of the barn. I didn't like it. I'm sure whittling a 90 minute musical down to 18 minutes was a tough chore, but I just haven't liked anything I've seen so far.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 26, 2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

U-8's Flower Drum Song digest takes 3 songs in their entirety. No narration, no plot, it's great! What's also nice is that my print has very good color.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2011 12:06 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know. Thanks, Doug. Have you by chance seen the "Jesus Christ Superstar" digest? I can't imagine seeing it cut to less than 10% of its overall running time. One of my favorite shows. I've seen it on Ebay now and then, but dared not bid until I knew more about it.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, the box for OZ mis-identified one of the songs included in the digest. I had this about 20 years ago and then sold it.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2011 07:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which song?

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The box for "The Wizard of Oz" incorectly lists Jack Haley's "Tin Man's song," which is not included in the digest.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first copy of "The Poseidon Adventure" 1x400 has no narration. It is a library copy I purchased 20 years ago. Yes, it's somewhat beat (lines & a few splices) but still has some color. I've picked up two since then. Both are red. In fact, the last one I got is ORANGE! They both have the narration. Totally unnecessary. I'm hoping to find a non-faded/no narration copy someday. All I can say I'm grateful the "Towering Inferno" is not. Can you imagine? "Security chief Jernigan, played by O.J. Simpson, is worried about the safety of the gala guests."

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2011 05:08 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Chris.

I hope your latest aquisition of "The Towering Inferno" and "The Making of a Blockbuster" is satisfactory?

Best regards,

Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2011 03:41 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Keith. I was actually talking about the 1x400 of "Towering Inferno". I have not yet received the 3x400 (or 2x600) & "Making of" I bought from you. Could be they've been delayed because of Hurricane Irene. I am, however, really looking forward to watching them. I will let you know as soon as they get here. Thank you again!

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2011 06:27 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Chris. The parcel was last tracked at Springfield MA 01152, at 21.14 on 29th August, so should not be far away now I hope.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC