8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » House Of Dracula - Different U/8 Cover

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: House Of Dracula - Different U/8 Cover
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this item on Ebay (Item # 380274874717). It's "House Of Dracula" with cover art that I've never seen before and the running time on the box seems to denote over 8 minutes when the case I have specifies 7:39.

|  IP: Logged

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does say that it is not the original box. I would guess that the film itself is the Castle/U8 print, but you might want to ask the seller.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2010 10:59 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure looks pretty original to me, though. I couldn't make a cover like that.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 04, 2010 08:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, with photoshop you can almost do everything... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is the link for anybody who is wondering
most of the 200 footers from universal 8 were indeed castle film edits they were just redistributed when universal took over with their packaging.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOUSE-DRACULA-Super-8mm-200-B-W-SOUND-/380274874717?pt=US_Film&hash=item588a26195d

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 04, 2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's a silent version that has a different cover!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2010 01:26 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is the castle films version from my collection
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Mike Casaregola
Junior

- posted October 04, 2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Mike Casaregola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Jim I've got the same box, any ideas which Dracula that is? I don't think its from said movie or did Castle take the time and money to make their own Dracula photo?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 04, 2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I'm also curious about that. Carradine had a mustache in House of Dracula.

Doug

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2010 06:19 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mystery solved - it's actually Noel Willman from Hammer's KISS OF THE VAMPIRE which was in the Universal library so they had access to the publicity photos - still odd they picked it... guess they didn't want the moustache!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, the link you provided is the box and cover art that I have and normally see for the U/8 versions both sound and silent. The picture on the Castle box I've always believed to be from a Spanish Dracula movie that starred German Robles, but I don't know the title. Brian, I think you might be right, though.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 04, 2010 07:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Brian!

-

-

-

Doug

--------------------

Mike Casaregola
Junior

- posted October 05, 2010 08:10 AM      Profile for Mike Casaregola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the info/pictures, i've seen the movie several times but never made the connection.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2010 05:46 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread!

This is a good example of how sometimes the Universal-8 box can be better than the Castle box. At least my opinion [Wink] .

Anyone else?

James.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I agree. The picture on this particular auction item is actually better than the one I normally see which is the picture of Carradine with the red background and he has an expression like he's frightened. I would bid on it, but $25 to start is out of my range being that I have it already and have no need for a 2nd copy.

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally nabbed a sound copy of the HOUSE OF DRACULA 200' and was wondering if anyone has ever bothered to intercut this title with "The Wolfman's Cure." Does it flow pretty naturally or is it a hot mess? I managed to cut "Trial of Frankenstein" and "Frankenstein's New Brain" together and the results were much better than I dared hope.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 04, 2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marshall,

I don't think they would intercut well since Castle treated them as completely separate stories. I feel the House of Dracula digest shows how boring even eight minutes can be!

Doug

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I got the silent 200' reel of HOUSE OF DRACULA when I was a kid and was not overly impressed. Made no particular effort to get "The Wolfman's Cure" back then, as even the synopsis sounded boring. Oddly, though, I later became quite a fan of the actual feature HOUSE OF DRACULA. Really wish they'd held out another year and just done a 400' abridgment of the feature instead of the those single-monster versions.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a big fan of the feature, House of Dracula. Some really nice moments and excellent performances, combined with a very good script. The feature seems to run only a few minutes while the Castle cutdown seems longer. How could that be?

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2014 09:16 PM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should alert our major scientists that Castle Films was able to slow down time in the late 70s.

Because I know the suspense was palpable, I thought I'd better mention that I DID cut together my two digests from HOUSE OF DRACULA, and the results were not bad at all. I know that Ted Newsome did a "fantasy edit" of a Castle Films digest dedicated to the Frankenstein Monster footage from the film--wish I had that to edit in as well! But I'd still me missing some the swell Onslow Stevens freakout scenes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC