8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests on YouTube (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Digests on YouTube
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 09:08 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, true it is nice color!

I knew at the end of Ken era some were printed on LPP and AGFA. I have one (yes... "The Rose" [Wink] ). Would you mind to check the film stock for me please.

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris ...

The "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" digest keeps on stopping at the same point with the title card, (after that nice song!), is it Utube, the computer I'm on, or a glitch in the file?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I have no problem watching the video. Either keep refreshing or go back and then forward and re-open the page.

I continue now with the classic Disney animated film digests.

"Fantasia" was released in 1940. It is a stunning blend of music and animation.

Here is the most recognized segment of the film.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHQ0HM3E9vE

As many of you know, my first film purchases were several discarded super 8 films from my library. On the day of the sale I remember waiting impatiently for the staff to wheel the A/V carts down to the main floor. I was thinking how great it was going to be to finally own all the films I had borrowed over the years. What I did not anticipate was the mass of people that pounced on these carts once they were brought out. I frantically grabbed for my favorites. As I was bartering with someone to swap titles so I could have both 200's of "The Fox and the Hound", I spied "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" on a cart. I finished my swap, turned to get it and it was gone. 25 years later, thanks to a seller in England, I can watch this on a silver screen again. I know it has some fade and there are a few lines but I don't care. I think it's beautiful.

[ January 28, 2012, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to watch the whole Utube today.

There was a scope version of just the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend", but I prefer the version in the digest, as this film was not originally scope. That approximate five minute version (in scope) was taken from a documentary about Marylin, which I believe was narrarated by Rock Hudson and released after her deathy.

Since the film was originally in flat and not the scope aspect ratio, you had to (of course) cut off a good deal of the image on the top and bottom, to reformat it for scope, (something that was done with "Gone With The Wind" as well, when it was released in scope, and that film suffered for it too)

Therefore, (in my opinion) the digest version, in it's original ratio, is preferred.

I finally got to watch that little two minute add for Walt Disney Super 8! That must be quite rare and boy, would I love to find that. It's pretty cool!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 31, 2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello gentlemen,I noticed from your comments that you're not
familiar with the extracts from "Carrie"released by Derann back
in the eighties.The reason the two condensations dont follow on
is due to the fact that United Artists stipulated in the contract
that the 2x400's had to be edited to tell a story as separate reels
and not to flow consecutively,also Miss Spacek didn't want any
nude scenes of herself to be shown.This presented a problem as
the scenes containing the opening titles also contained Miss Spacek nude.Derek Simmonds over came that problem by having the entire titles redone to satisfy UA.the two 400 reels
do edit together very well and all the key scenes have been
retained which makes a very nice 800'extract.Which just goes
to show how committed Derek was to ensuring the collector got
certain releases,although I somehow think he would have taken
a very dim view of his films being put on YouTube.Please be
careful lads I refer to the threats of death both on the film boxes
and the intros to the extracts proper on 8mm digests especially
from the USA as the powers that be can be very unforgiving
Please be careful.
Hugh

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2012 04:47 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh,

Thank you for reiterating why the Dearnn "Carrie" is edited the way it is. I did not go into details because, as I mentioned in the original posting of the first film, it had already been discussed on another thread. I think they both work as separate digests and are, indeed, very well edited. And even though "Part 1" tells more of the story and has some scares, I think the edit that features Piper Laurie is actually more intense.

Thank you also for your concern about what can and cannot be posted on Youtube. I figured if other people could upload an entire film without complaint from the studios, I could upload a digest of that film. Granted, many of my films have "Matched third party content" but that's it. No one has blocked them. If I try to post a film and it gets blocked, I just remove it. Otherwise, I will continue to post videos of 8mm digests.

So, stay tuned. There's more to come. [Smile]

[ February 08, 2012, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2012 02:30 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a digest of a film I already posted. Sort of. I just got another copy of "Cat Ballou" but it is not the same film. Columbia released two versions. They both tell the same story but because of editing they are quite different.

From 1965 and starring Jane Fonda and Academy Award winner Lee Marvin, "Cat Ballou".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0pSPlDIATs&feature=youtu.be

And here is "Cat Ballou". This version is about 4 min. shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJqJoQVt1w

A big thank you goes to Anthony Buhayv for selling me this alternate version.

There will be more digests soon. I have found a temporary solution to my take-up problem with the Chinon 1200. I put my 6100 directly behind the 1200 and use it for take up and rewind.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2012 11:13 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a winner of three Academy Awards including Best Picture. One of the greatest films ever made.

'The Godfather" 1x400

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLbU-gYHWvk&feature=youtu.be

Marketing also released a 3x400 and the complete feature on super 8. I have yet to see either but I did enjoy the single digest.

A review can be found here.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000245

The viewing of this digest is made possible by the generous lending of the film from the personal collection of Mr. Gerald Santana.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 09, 2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris ..your Godfather does look good. Still has plenty color left. I have the three parter and as many members reported here, it has gone pink.

This is from Michigan lot, isn't it? what about the other films. I found you bought like 5-6 reels.

I still haven't received my purchase because I asked my colleague in Michigan to take care of them and bring the films next week. Save postage and custom btw.... [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I did not buy "Godfather" and "Godfather Part 2" for $56. If I had I would have also posted "Part 2". I borrowed "The Godfather" from Gerald Santana.

As for the color, it has been altered. The film actually has some fade but you cannot see it. I placed blue cellophane over the lens.

Now, for the films from MI, I got mine a few days after the auctions ended. They are mostly Disney 200's. I also got a 2x400 of "The Sting". I tried to post that yesterday but it got blocked worldwide. Not sure why as my 1x400 can still be viewed. It's too bad, really, because the 2x400 "The Sting" is a great digest.

I will be posting the Disney films I just got and several I already have as soon as I get them transferred to video.

Stay tuned!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris-

That digest print of "The Godfather" looks great! Its amazing that a faded print could look so good using blue cellophane. Was that the only color correction used? If so, I'm going to the grocery store to get some ASAP!!

James.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2012 05:19 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Winbert asked me what kind of cellophane I use and how to get it. I will let everyone know what I found in case anyone wants to reduce some fade when watching film.

The blue cellophane I use isn't exactly Cling Wrap, although that might work too. It is a little thicker than that. It is a roll of blue clear gift wrap that is sometimes used to line Easter and gift baskets. I found it at a party/novelty store. I cut off a piece and taped it over the lens. Just one layer, though. Two pieces makes the picture darker and everything looks purple. Ideally I would use a piece of blue colored gel used for theatrical lighting. I don't have any of that handy so I found something like it. I tried a crafts store but the wrap was expensive. I got a much better deal at the party store.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 12, 2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

Well done. I have a set of those color correction filters to put over the lens. I find they work well IF you have a very bright lamp. If not, the picture dims.

Pat

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2012 04:05 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Chris! Now i can watch my cat ballou digest still online [Smile] haha

here are some digest ive recorded:

Dumbo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kq-tJlgTM

star wars Black and White Without Sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzX7vsIe5A

that same star wars black and white WITH sound that i edited together for your hearing pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQosG_wa2T8

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 10:34 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice transfer of "Mickey Mouse Disco Music" super 8mm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhQ6QH4t2I&feature=related.

Notice how the uploader can reduce flickers perfectly. Should ask him what camera he used and the setting.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 14, 2012 11:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A 24P camera will shoot at the same frame rate as the projector for the flicker, but if you watch that video there is pulsating of the shutter (brightness getting lighter and darker every second) meaning the projector isn't running at a true 24 frames per second. The camera was also set on too slow of a shutter speed setting which gives the double image you see through this, but setting it higher would have caused massive pulsating. There is a sweet spot for all of this, but it can be difficult to achieve.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 01:00 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job with that sync of "Empire" Anthony! I am trying to to the same thing for my silent "Dumbo Makes the Big Top". I edited the sound of the DVD to match the digest. Problem is, as Brad pointed out, even at its lowest speed setting, my Chinon S-1200 runs faster than 24 FPS. So, I have to find a way way to make the slightly slower sound match the super 8 film. I will make it work.

Now, on to other film.

Vampire movies, TV shows and books continue to be very popular so I think now is a good time to share this digest

From 1979 here is a fun comedy called "Love at First Bite".

With George Hamilton as Dracula. Also starring Susan Saint James, Richard Benjamin and Arte Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJERotnKORA

This is a perfect example of how a blue gel placed over the lens can make a faded film look better. Without it this film is beet red. It is so faded I flipped the switch that makes the bulb brighter and used two layers of cellophane. Blue is only really noticeable during bright scenes but there are not a lot of those in this film.

[ February 16, 2012, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 08:50 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I remember why my wife didn't want me showing this to the kids... I forgot how many "s*!#s" there were in this digest. Thanks, Chris! Most enjoyable!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 11:35 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another re-post.

The first. The original. The best.

"Superman the Movie" from 1978.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FCqgifjC34

This new film may have a few splices but it is in great condition compared to what I used to have. It may be a bit washed out but it still has color. The one I got rid of last year was very faded and, being a former library copy, full of lines.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 16, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "Mickey Mouse Disco" is a unique little release. While the classic toons were common on super 8, this was a complete late 70's release, with complete opening/closing titles and all. Quite curious and fun! ThanX Chris!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2012 01:56 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I don't own "Mickey Mouse Disco". I was sort of half watching the copy the Michigan sellers from eBay had but I did not buy it. The video is from Luke, a friend of mine from Youtube. His channel is mycoolhomevideos. He has also transferred and posted many S8 and some 16mm films. Most of the them Disney. There are even some films there that I have posted but he put his up in HD.

Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mycoolhomevideos?feature=watch

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2012 01:50 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would celebrate the upcoming Academy Awards by sharing an extended digest of the Best Picture Winner of 1959.

Here is the 3x400 of "BEN-HUR".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L0hNzL0kY4

I think it is a great edit. This film, like some of my more recent posts, has been color corrected with blue cellophane. It is noticeably faded without it.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2012 10:28 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now continue with the animated Disney 200's.

Here from 1942 is both reels from "Bambi".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYLTPVH6vU&feature=youtu.be

I was going to upload "Dumbo" but I am still trying to get the sync right on my silent "Dumbo Makes the Big Top." When I get it to work I will post it and the damaged "Dumbo the Flying Elephant".

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2012 03:13 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next 200' from for Walt Disney is "The Three Caballeros" from 1944. A fun blend of live action and animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-UE4_d0TP8

A great digest. This has wonderful color. Processed by Buck Labs in the U.K.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2012 09:59 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More Disney films are coming soon. Stay tuned.

For now, here is a very good 2x400 from Universal 8.

"The Hindenburg" from 1975.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtfExBJVb4

I have posted a full review in the Reviews section of the forum.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC