8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests on YouTube (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Digests on YouTube
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2012 08:36 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an excerpt from a Disney film that has a very well-know Academy Award winning song. It features a great blend of classic animation and live action. It was the inspiration for a popular theme park attraction. It has also never been released on home video in the U.S.

Just as controversial today as it was 66 years ago, here is Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby from "Song of the South".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-G56xOk3E

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 1940's during World War II, Walt Disney Animation put feature films on hold while they made propaganda shorts and films for the military. When the war was over, several package films like "Make Mine Music" and "Melody Time" were released. In 1950, Disney released its first full-length animated film in eight years. "Cinderella" was the studio's first major hit since "Snow White". If "Cinderalla" had not been successful, the studio, deep in debt, may have closed.

Here are two of my favorite Disney 200's. "Cinderella's Surprise Dress" and "Cinderella's Fairy Godmother". The one thing that does bother me about this digest is the song So This is Love has been replaced with two different songs. Cinderella and the waltz version of A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes. I have always wondered why WDHM did this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxk01jy2QmQ&feature=youtu.be

I love it when two digests sync up perfectly with no break in the story. There are other Disney 200's, like "Lady and The Tramp", that match up like this.

Those will be posted soon.

Stay tuned!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2012 02:24 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Films released several classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals on super 8. "The Sound of Music", "The King & I" and this film from 1956.

"Carousel" stars Gordon MacRae as Billy Bigelow and Shirley Jones as Julie Jordan. They co-stared in R&H's "Oklahoma!" (not on super 8) the previous year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDx546AdLM

It features the classic songs The Carousel Waltz, If I Loved You, June Is Bustin' Out All Over, Soliloquy, A Real Nice Clambake, What's The Use Of Wond'rin and You'll Never Walk Alone. This digest, like "The King & I", does not include the end of the actual film. It stops about halfway through the story.

The color, originally by DeLuxe, has held up well on this print and the sound is standard magnetic mono. It is a good digest but could have been better if a 2x400 had been released. Unfortunately, apart from the Star Wars films and "The Towering Inferno", Ken did not make multiple reel digests.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 29, 2012 01:12 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, back to the wonderful world of Disney.

A year after the triumph of "Cinderella", Walt Disney released "Alice in Wonderland". Disney had been trying for years to put this story on film. In fact, he had chosen it to be his first full length animated movie. Writers tried for many years to come up with a treatment that Disney liked. Even after the film was released, he was not satisfied with the end result. He thought "Alice had no heart." It did not do well when it first came out. It found a new audience in the the late 1960's, had several re-releases in the 70's and was the the first animated Disney film the be released on beta and VHS. Today, it is considered a classic.

The film has beautiful art direction by Mary Blair. It also holds the record for the most number of songs in any Disney feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqDMeqDrD0A&feature=youtu.be

Like the rest of the Disney animated digests, "Alice in Wonderland" has two reels.

The first digest, "Alice and the White Rabbit", has some fade but "The Mad Tea Party", processed by Buck Labs in the U.K., still has great color.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2012 03:46 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an excerpt from the 1953 film "Peter Pan".

Peter Pan Meets Captain Hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb7qM4diPG4&feature=youtu.be

I do have another video of this film on Youtube. I did not remove that one because it includes the other Peter Pan digest, "Prisoner of the Pirates". That film is only on my VHS tape of old library films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEya_ylrNJI&feature=related

The new film is just that. It was still sealed when I purchased it. The video attached here is the very first time the film was run through a projector. Unfortunately, sealed does not mean perfect. Printed on that Kodak stock we all know and hate, it is faded. Still, it is very clean and has great sound.

I hope to find a copy of "Prisoner of the Pirates" someday. As mentioned a few pages back, it is considered a pretty rare film. I have seen it on eBay only twice in the last six months. There was a copy from the U.K. that was around for a while as a buy-it-now. Buy the time I was able to afford it, someone else got it. The other copy was really faded and in Spanish.

If I ever do find it, I will share it here.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two trailers from from the 1980's.

TRON - 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NGF9YG__k&feature=youtu.be

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 1981

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqULPMjWb-0&feature=youtu.be

Many thanks to Greg Marshall for these.

As I said when I posted S8 trailers for "Gone With The Wind", this may be the only way to watch footage from certain movies on a silver screen at home. While I do have the 400' "Raiders", there are scenes in the trailer that are not in the digest. I also don't think I will ever own TRON on super 8mm. Especially an LPP print.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are truly to be commended for putting all of these up, and you are probably the best "advertiser" for super 8 collecting to the non super 8 world!

My advice when it comes to collecting the Disney Digests in go to the UK printings of the Disney digests as, as a general rule, they used either Fuji or Agfa film stock, and while the Fuji mikght be fading (I have heard from one UK collector that his Fuji prints are starting to "purple" a little, mine are spot on), the Agfa prints are beautiful.

I bought all my 400ft Disney cartoon collection on agfa and fuji and I just gave up trying to find really good US copies of these same digests.

Happy hunting!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, you're a brave man putting those up on You Tube, especially the Disney stuff.
[Eek!]

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I appreciate your concern but as I've said before, unless they get "Blocked Worldwide", I will continue to post videos of S8 films on Youtube.

As for Disney, I'm not too sure how much they care about or pay attention to what gets posted. Do a search on Youtube for a Disney movie. See how my people have uploaded entire films. Even the animated classics.

Some, not all, of my Disney digests have received a "Matched Third Party Content" for music use but none of them have ever been blocked worldwide. They just have ads on them. Who knows how it all works? I do know that organizations like the Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society were designed as a BS automated program designed to collect money from the ads generated by those Youtubers using music that they did not write. There are some very greedy people out there.

So, stay tuned. There will be more film from Disney.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 03:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do know that organizations like the Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society were designed as a BS automated program designed to collect money from the ads generated by those Youtubers using music that they did not write. There are some very greedy people out there.
Perhaps I've misunderstood you, but why is it greedy for writers of that music to collect their due payments?

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not mean that at all. The greedy ones are the folk who make up a bogus company just to collect money from other companies like Sony, EMI, UNI, WMG and BMG. I fully support the fact that the original music publishers should receive revenue for music usage. I have no problem if any legitimate corporation wants to put adds on my videos.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 02, 2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay. I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries Michael.

In 1955, Disney released it's 15th animated film, "Lady and the Tramp". It was the first film from the studio not based on a pre-existing story since "Dumbo". Based on an idea by animator Joe Grant and fully realized after he left the studio, the film was the first animated feature to be filmed in CinemaScope. Walt loved the story but did not like the "Bella Note" sequence and thought it should be cut. Animator Frank Thomas drew the sequence on his own. When Walt saw the drawings, he decided to keep the number.

Here are the two digests "Muzzle Trouble" and "An Evening With Lady and the Tramp".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KFZnKe-cpc&feature=youtu.be

As mentioned earlier in this tread, both of these 200' films, like "Cinderella", combine very well to make one 400' film. There is no break in the story between reels.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2012 09:17 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a fun collection of Disney Silly Symphonies on a 400 ft. reel.

"Disney Cartoon Classics Vol. 1"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbdnUaZ8Z0

I just got this from the U.K. and, once again, it was processed by Buck Labs. Brilliant colour!

This film has already been discussed here along with other Disney animated 400's.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001990#000002

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 09:00 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been forced to watch the Copyright School video on Youtube. My "Once Upon a Time in the West" digest video was flagged by Paramount. That is strike one. I do not wish a strike two or three and then my channel is gone. This means many videos are no longer available.

As to any future postings, they will be limited.

I will let everyone know if I remove more videos.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 09:08 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris your Silly Symphony looks very good. What stock it is printed on?

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news Chris. I enjoyed them. You would think they would go after bigger things.

Pat [Confused]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 10:17 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a fave of mine Grasshopper and the Ants Chris, also to view when having a cup of tea at work.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 10:35 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

"Disney's Cartoon Classics Vol. 1" is printed on Agfa.

Pat,

I agree. I still don't get it. Why did Paramount remove the video now and not a month ago when it went up? Makes me worry about some of the remaining vids. As I said, may of the vids that have already "Matched Third Party Content" have been removed. Especially Paramount (Marketing) titles like "Grease". I also removed most of the 20th Century Fox stuff. They had already blocked films like ALIEN, one of the "Sound of Music" films (it could not be seen in Germany) and a video re-creation of the "Poseidon Adventure" digest. This means most of the STAR WARS films are gone. The exception is "Empire Strikes Back" parts 1 & 2. They have not been flagged. Go figure.

Lee,

Glad you like the film. I love the Silly Symphonies. I have them on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD set. I would love to find the other collection on super 8. And if I do, I may post it. As I said before, Disney has never blocked any of my videos. I have not removed any Disney videos.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 11:48 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's peculiar to me is that it seems more movies seem to be uploaded in their entirety on YouTube than ever before. Why is Paramount (or any other studio) worried about a little 40-year old Super 8 digest of a classic showing up on YouTube than somebody advertising contemporary movies available full length on these tinyurl links (what is a "tinyurl", anyway?). Is there a way to upload digests for "private" viewing whether on Y/T or any place else without having to look over your shoulder for the studio "po-po" coming after you to shut you down.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I went to Youtube because that is probably the most well known video site. I know there are others. I just have to find out what they are and what their policies are. I'm sure there are sites out there that could care less about a 17 min. version of "Once Upon a Time In The West". If so, I will upload my digests there.

Anyone have any recommendations?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally watched that TRON trailer. Very well constructed trailer for the film and gave a decent bit of great scenes. Instead of todays trailers which seem to relish in one second shots or even less fps than that, this one took whole bits of scenes intact! Very enjoyabel.

Now I want that TRON trailer .... dangit, and just when I was thinking that I was nearing the end of my collecting! (grrr!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 09, 2012 02:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not talking about the other full feature uploaded in youtube, but this is exactly "Onec upon a time in the west", FULL film in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3q7EjFfluA

It is divided into 16 clips, all at around 10 minutes each.

So why Paramount worried about this digest, while we can get a FULL FEATURE of the SAME title from the SAME place?? [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I've said it before an I'll say it again. How Youtube works is a great mystery.

These next two digests are from the last Disney animated film to use hand-inked cels. It was in production for eight years. Chuck Jones, uncredited, worked on his film.

Originally released in Super Technirama 70 is "Sleeping Beauty" from 1959.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sj9ua__9E

The first digest, "Once Upon a Dream" is pretty faded but reel 2, "The Prince and the Dragon", still has color. Another import processed by Buck Labs in the U.K.

Brad,

This digest was listed as a private. Still, it did not go unnoticed. It was not blocked anywhere but it, like most of the Disney films, "Matched third party content".

If anyone wants to watch the entire film, here it is in two parts. Complete with the copyright warning posted at the beginning of the VHS. The warning that states"broadcast without the consent of the... owner... carries a penalty" and can result in a fine up to "50,000 pesos". [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_qf8IPTq0o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyH9bNIuf0Y&feature=related

[ March 11, 2012, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2012 10:31 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, don't you have anything original to post to YouTube, or did I miss it?

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC