8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Prices on the up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Prices on the up?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 04:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or are second hand films now going rather high in price? [Confused] If it becomes the norm i think it may all end sooner rather than later. Ebay tends to be different because there the collector pays what that individuel wants to pay be it low or high but the demise of Derann i think will bring cine film out of reach of average earning people.
Whats your thought?? [Wink]
I have to say if i could gaurantee selling all my 400 footers for (arguments sake) £50 each i'd sell them all tommorrow. If i could get £600 each for each feature (I'm thinking of what Star Wars goes for on E bay) i'd equally sell without hesitation. At the end of the day its money sat on the shelf.In a cold dark room! Some of our features hav'nt seen the light of a bulb for five years or more!!!! We always keep a log of every film we have and show dates for cleaning and viewing.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 05:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Tom. Funny enough was having a chat about this very subject last week and the general understanding was that with the lab now gone, Derann also packed up shop it was inevitable prices for used film prints was going on a hike as no new feature films were going to become available on mass for a start. Like you I am a bit sceptical of the huge prices being asked for the likes of Star Wars (feature) but perhaps the film Super 8 sort of re-launched the movement making a new generation aware of Super 8 film with the net result being quite a positive one. It is good to see a healthy enthusiasm for film collecting as a hobby, but little point just collecting films which as you say sit on a shelf doing nothing but collect dust. As with other hobbies you will always have an element who just want to own something, actually being a showman and projecting it doesn’t even come into the picture, excuse the pun. Film collecting from what I have witnessed over far to many years has undergone many transitions, but for those of us who collect and regularly project our movies it is a fascinating hobby and for some of us a life long one. The sale of used and sometimes vintage acetate prints is also growing and it is probably very healthy. Those who collect might be new to it all, others are rekindling memories from years ago which is probably one of the reasons I myself am still at it I expect. It’s a funny old game…

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd sgree that there's evidence of prices rising. I heard of a dealer recently saying that due to the demand for films, he was offering more money to sellers, so that's bound to be reflected in his prices. Whilst I'm all for picking up bargains, the current situation seems much healthier for the hobby than the scenario predicted by one well-known gentleman in the UK, who not very long ago urged collectors selling up to do so quickly, before there was no option other than to put the films in a skip!

I'd agree with Lee that there could be a link to 'Super 8'. It's hard to point to hard facts that indicate this, but maybe it has generally caused a raising of awareness that has influenced the market. If any dealers were to say that 16mm interest has remained static whilst Super 8 has risen, that would certainly imply that 'Super 8' had been a factor.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 does appear to be climbing.
I thought there was a recession on???

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing the same thing. Of course I'm usually about getting the "deal" on the films I buy. And I'm finding that buying films just because I think it's a good deal is getting rarer. Now it has to be something I really want and even then it still seems like alot of money for a hobby.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the prices asked i think you'd be mad to pay it,Some of the dealers prices have really risen and others not,they seem to sell them so someones buying,I can't afford them myself and dare i say it dvd seems the way to go for features.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 02:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...and dare i say it dvd seems the way to go for features.

I'm with you, Mark.
My feeling is that, in this financial climate, dealers could be making an effort to keep people in the hobby.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 05:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see Barry of Independent 8's price rise up. And if Barry can confirm that there is no significant change on his sell before and after Derann, it means the situation is temporal.

In other words, those new bloods do not know where to buy super 8mm and just rely on Ebay. This of course will pump the price up. But then after being involved in this hobby, they would now Paul Foster, Barry, CHC and others to make a better deal.

We have several new bloods here, and allow me to mention who I can remember. There is Akshay, Anthony, Bruce Wright, Grant Fitzgerald, and many others. When they started they didn't know these dealers and thinking buying $25 for a 400' is a good deal. But through this forum they got a lot of information and now can buy more selective.

So I believe it will get back to normal again after 6-12 months.

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 06:53 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, rest assured that I haven't purchased a 400' digest for $25. Back in November, when I was just starting out I bought Buster Keaton's College and Sherlock, Jr. for 19.99, few 400' silent shorts of Laurel and Hardy, Chaplin and Keaton for $8. My expensive films include Foreign Correspondent, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Saturday Night Fever, all purchased from forum members. So, all features I purchased subsequently were close to prices I have seen sell on the forum.

There are reasons why prices sometimes look high on eBay. Both of these have happened to me and will reflect how the prices on eBay needn't be the sale price.

1. There was an item I really wanted on eBay from a particular seller. I negotiated it to include another item from the same seller. So, I bought his first item on the high Buy It Now and he modified the receipt to reflect my purchase. However, if I look at the item it still reflects the Buy It Now price. Perhaps you guys know this already?
2. Once a seller wasn't able to change the Buy It Now price to our negotiated price. So, he just returned the extra I paid via PayPal. But eBay still considers it sold at the But It Now price.

Now, I ask for some advice. My wife and I have been speaking about the future of my hobby. Barring accidents my wife and I should be around a few more decades. Some questions are:

1. Do we sell now or next year for small profits? Or wait like some have waited for their Star Wars and James Bond titles to appreciate?
2. Would it be worth investing in prime titles? People invest in stocks and pray for good returns. Films could be similar, only their appreciation will depend on my maintenance. Would Star Wars bought at $1000 today appreciate a lot in 30 years?

Maybe I am thinking too far ahead.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 14, 2012 07:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akhsay, just my short advise... when you are dealing with a hobby don't ever think about making profit (investment). You will feel bad eventually.

Hobby is to fill our boring lives and be with that. The value of it is more than any money can pay.

I have three main hobbies, 8mm, LP/vinyls and model train. Wherever I feel bad with my office's situation or family matters, etc I go to one of my hobby. It relieved me and it was more than going to a doctor for a consultation (a stress is paid by another stress when paying their bill [Big Grin] ).

Sharing hobbies with my sons is something that you cannot imagine. The young ones will ask again and again. A pure collector will be happy if someone asking or put an interest on his/her collection

So that's why several posts ago I said I would never sell my collection (only those multiples).

Last but not least, invest your money for something liquid (property, gold, shares, hard currencies, etc).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2012 09:51 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you are right, Winbert. Maybe I was thinking too far ahead, after all I am only five months into this. I should enjoy this as much as I can. Thanks.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys! I enjoy because of the hobby and it takes me back to those good old days, before VHS,DVD and Blu-ray. I love Super8 and I guess that is why Spielberg & JJ made the movie. And yes Super8 is getting more popular. And anything that is vintage or old is high in value. Just look at comic collecting, Action figures,models,Magazines,and film posters which is another one of my many hobbies. Superman 1st issue just sold for a million, Batman, and Spiderman as well. Collecting is really booming right now with or without the recession. So someday STAR WARS super 8 feature will go for some out landish price.  -  -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 15, 2012 02:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from Winbert

Hobby is to fill our boring lives and be with that. The value of it is more than any money can pay.

Spot on Winbert [Smile]

I have been mucking around with Super8 since the 70s, spent a small fortune and enjoyed every bit it. Its a great hobby and one others can get enjoyement out of as well. If I had thought about making money out of it I would never have got involved. Threading up a projector turning the light down and watching a film is great fun that I never get bored doing.

Laksmi
Those are nice photos of your collection [Smile]

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 15, 2012 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun topic, I was just commenting on this on another thread.

Some of the rise in price is due to, "Derann is no longer printing (heck, no longer in business!), and therefore, the price for a Derann, I can make higher."

Now, that's just my theory. However, I think it's not a good move, as there are really only a few prints, even Derann's that will always claim a higher price, the STAR WARS Trilogy, for instance ...

... while the other titles, even though they are Derann's, will rarely if at all, bring in what they were originally purchased for. Sometimes that's not accurate, especially if some of those film, when originally purchased, were around 200 pounds, for instance, but that was way back in the 1980's and such, when 200 pounds had a lot more value than 200 pounds today.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2012 07:38 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok-Winbert--I'll fess up. I did pay 24.95 for my first film, a
400' Charlie Chaplin (Easy Street) I'll frame & hang it on the wall.
Learned a lot here in the last 5 months. Beginning to be a lot more slective and it saves money. Picked up three C.C.'s last week for $20.75 and that included shipping. Sorry for running up the price. Never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer!!

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 09:57 AM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello forum collectors ,
You are right the prices of even colour fade are high. I was just looking at e.bay .They sellers saying that ‘I have no means of viewing these films’. Sold as is no return and still they go with very high prices 400ft for over £15 pounds(no they are not a popular rare films) + postage. Well I think time has come for me to sell, while market is ,as hot as this and move to 16mm goodies which are much cheaper-and more available ...well for time been... regards
Leon
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 19, 2012 11:14 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad this has drummed up some interest, if Ok with all i would like to use some of this, (with no names involved) for the magazine,
I guess at the end of the day it really is a case of Supply and demand, for the wealthy collector money is probably no object for the rare and good features,
I think we are all awaiting the next Perrys list which i think along with the other dealers may well be quite interesting. The major factor here is simply that Derann have gone and in my opinion, there regular monthly lists kept prices stable and reasonabley within reach. I also think we all lived in hope that a new lab would appear and new titles would be announced, My guess is as soon as the labs theys used closed, With Derek gone, this was never going to happen. So, with occassional lists this means films will almost certainly go up.
I also think a lot of people purchasing are only using ebay and probably dont know about the likes of CHC, Paul Foster, Indipendant 8 and Perrys as well as a couple of others, i note a few posts on this very forum with some members asking if there are still places other than e bay they can buy super 8 films, i find this quite astonishing as the search engines will lead them certainly to Foster films & CHC and even the BFCC website which does have many links, anyway, all said and done, super 8mm films have certainly become a collectors hobby with very little new stuff being released, the items that are released are difficult for me to think of the prices, i have paid higher than normal for some films in the past but i now have to really want an item before purchasing. [Wink]

Leon Thomas Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 01:09 PM      Profile for Leon Thomas Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom ,
I totally agree with your views.The prices are getting out of reach of the poor mans .Thanks to some dealers with increases up to 40% .Never mind,at least our collections are worth something.However,the 16mm films are very cheap(comparing to 8mm) at the moment I know a guy selling over 500 (where he keep them I just wonder) of his feature films at £40 each .The empty spools are worth half his £40 price tags.But the buyer have to buy at least 5 films ago .I have bought over 20 features so far only one was col fad ,well most of them were B&W .Good luck with your article in 8mm magazine.
Regards
Leon

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, I feel this discussion would mean more with actual USD values attached to features. Let me set out a list of films and attach to each prices, prices I might consider paying for them, i.e., if I had the money. If others can re-evaluate my prices, offer prices for other titles, it will be interesting.

1. Goldfinger - on some good low fade stock - $350
2. The Terminator - low fade - $400
3. Any Star Wars - stock almost seems unimportant - $700
4. Anything Scorsese - $200-$300
5. Anything Hitchcock - $50 for silent, $80 for B&W sound, $200 for color
6. Laurel & Hardy features - $20 to $45
7. Buster Keaton's features with soundtrack - based on title - $40 to $60
8. Chaplin's talking features - $50 to $100
9. The Wizard of Oz - $250
10. Animated features from Disney - Beauty & the Beast types - $200
11. Master & Commander - supposedly last Derann print - $300

Any comments?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2012 02:26 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akshay...with regards to Hitchcock I have paid $50 for a silent feature and between $70-120 for a sound B&W title so that sounds about right.

Bill [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 21, 2012 05:10 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had an interesting discussion with another long time collector recently and we are of the mind a good number are getting a little bored with DVD/ video projection and coming back to film for a more full on involved hobby. The thing is with cine it is more involving as you can search for a film title, a matching nice original box, inspect it on a viewer, clean the film or repair it, project it on just about any size screen at home, collect a few reasonably priced projectors for different gauges, modify them, basic repairs as fairly simple, lamps are cheap and of course we have the nostalgia aspect which is perhaps paramount. To answer Toms original question yes we can pay huge prices if we are desperate enough or daft enough, but there are many nice films around at a sensible cost with the likes of Ind8 offering special offers to collectors as do Classic and Foster Films from time to time which is much appreciated. I personally would and do encourage all to buy for our remaining dealers as they are a lifeline for our movement.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 21, 2012 09:15 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. Goldfinger - on some good low fade stock - $350

Exactly what I paid for my pristine print 2 years ago.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 21, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and then there is the successful search, finding that good print you knew was always out there!

I had ran through three or four rotten prints of "Hoppity Goes to Town" (Max FLeischer animated feature), and then, out of nowhere, when I giving up hope, Steve Osbourne got ahold of TWO low fade prints of this, and both for only 70 dollars! I snatched up both immediately, and found them to be two different versions and on two different film stocks!

Derann reprint on LPP, nice!

Red Fox print on Agfa with an extra six minutes with a stunning picture.

... there were a lot of YAHOO's! on that day

... kind of the same thing that will happen when I finally get a great color print of "Grizzly Adams"!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC