8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is today's boys thinking about King Kong (1933)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is today's boys thinking about King Kong (1933)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 19, 2012 11:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember this previous post:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003485;p=100

After Akhsay talked about how bad was his feeling with the cruelty shown on King Kong (1933), I was going to pull back my plan to show this very film to my sons who have been waiting so long for my free time. My wife is quite protective to my two sons when talking about movies.

But having followed the above discussion, I decided to give a try and see what their thought about this movie.

When the credit title shown and a "H" certificate was shown for "Horrific" I was so worried that I made a wrong decision. But you know once film is fed to the projector it will be quite hassle to pull it back. So film was continued.

...and finally it arrived at the "horrific" scenes where King Kong ate people.

So what was the reaction of my two sons?

"DAD IT"S A REAL FAKE !!!!"

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

So my two sons who have grown up on CGI technology could not take all special effects shown on that film.

And when Kong was searching for more people, instead of they were afraid, they shout "C'mon King Kong, C'mon"...and they laughed loudly...!

[Wink]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2012 02:00 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago when my son was around seven years old I put on the Super8 version. He did not like the ending when Kong got killed, thought it was cruel. I never put it on again and later sold the print. Even though he is now grown up I dont think he would watch it, I would not even suggest it.

Graham.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2012 02:03 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, what did your wife have to say about King Kong? I don't mean how she felt about the kids watching it but what she felt when Kong ate people. Also, how did you feel?

I am starting to sound like I was very disturbed by this feature. I was just surprised it wasn't mellower considering it was made in 1933. If I can say so, my wife and I sat through Antichrist last year. Am sure we can take anything now. Oh wait! We turned off The Human Centipede after fourteen minutes.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2012 12:01 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See the kids today that are condition to CGI think this puppet ting looks fake? But this is the inspiration to us animators. Animation is in Tim Burton films and many films to day use it. I did some stop motion films once and it was not easy. I had to make the model which was rubber over a wirer frame. Then I moved it frame by frame. 24 frames per second. I had a hard time keeping track of my movements. The movie was a five minute short shot on super 8mm with a cable release on the camera with a tripod. The title of the short was NIRSINGHA DEVA ! It was about a king of India who had immortality from the Gods. The God Vishnu came and killed him after he try to torture his little 5 year old son for loving God. He hated the Godhead Vishnu and wanted to gain powers to try to kill him . But he came to save the boy in the shape of a half man half lion form and riped out his intestines with blood everywhere. And you think Kong was to much to watch?  -
 -

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 21, 2012 02:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please tell me why all this pussyfooting round
children?They watch the most horrific films and play ultra violent
video games and you're frightened a film made in 1933 will
upset them,As for Kong being cruel,don't get me started on the
thousands of dogs and cats that are bought for children at
Christmas and after New Year are thrown out or put in kennels,
now thats cruel!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC